Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #127
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I'm th OP ...if you read the post you'd see I'm not the 1LE owner. I was just passing on info from the owner to make people aware of the the most important aspect of the owner's comments ..the cracking situation of the tires which people should be aware of as I'd want to know about if I had them on my car.
its been well documented.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #128
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Just to stir it up a bit...previous post
Quote:
If you wanted to drive this Camaro year round, then the 1LE isnt the model for you. However, an SS with winter tires wouldve faired well for you.
Can't you just get winter tires for a 1LE??? Why would there be a need to drop a trim level just to buy seasonal specific tires? Is it a height thing, brakes thing, power to weight ratio thing? Maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #129
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
I have a 2SS RS 1LE, and live & drive in Montreal, Canada.

In the spring summer and early fall the car is great. But once the temp drops to below about 8 celcius, it begins to feel strange. The ride is noticeably harder, and less sticky. I was easily spinning the tires when accelerating from stop, and this is with traction control and all the other settings on or at default.

I knew the stock 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2 tires would suck in cold weather but I was still caught off guard.

This information though is nothing new. The sales rep of course didn't tell me this, but the mechanic knew and of course there is all kinds of documentation online about this.

New buyers: The 1LE is awesome and fantastic and an excellent alternative to the ZL1 and an amazing upgrade to the 2SS. When you buy it you'll love it, but remember to take it easy on extra cold nights.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #130
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #131
trashmanssd

Old 02-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #132
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
^Thats nuts.....
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #133
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I just got a brand new pair of Reebok Hockey skates. I tried to skate on water and it didnt work! The idiots at the store told me the water had to be frozen, what jerks!

These are summer only performance/racing tires!!! It does not take a genius to understand how these things work. It is not Chevy's fault some assclown is taking out a 1LE as a winter DD.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #134
trashmanssd

Drove mine to work this morning when i left the house it was 5 degrees out. I am lucky to be alive and my tires didn't crack and explode. I am a total rebel.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #135
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Exactly! What a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Fail thread is fail.

This has been common knowledge for ages.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #136
Inferno1LE

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
It's funny, I own a 1LE in New Jersey and I love how well the tires perform in the winter. That's because they sit in the warm garage from November until April, like they're supposed to, and GM tells you that, so either move to a different state, or get yourself snow tires or a winter beater. I can't fathom who would buy a track car and try to drive it in the snow.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #137
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I blame God, my parents, the school system, and the government for my actions..

NOTHING IS MY FAULT,!?,

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #138
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
I think I'm going to go buy a TRACK READY car and drive it in the WINTER during below freezing temps...c'mon man. There's nobody to blame but the lack of logic and common sense put into this. I have winter wheels and summer wheels because I need to drive my car all year
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #139
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I thought Summer tires were for summer and all seasons were for other times? Maybe I was mistaken.

Glad I wore out my p-zeros and swapped for Gmax. No problems, No Issues.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #140
JustJohn

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
A true story from a Chevy dealer employee and 1LE former owner I persoanlly know ...he had someone take over his lease because of this!

LONG STORY SHORT .THE 1LE HAD THE GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 THAT CANT GO OUT IN ANYTHING BELOW 20 or THEY WILL CRACK,THERE WAS ALL KIND OF ISSUES WITH THEM... NO TRACTION IN ANY WEATHER BELOW 50 IT WAS HORRIBLE .

THERE WAS ALL KIND OF HIDDEN BULLITINS I FOUND ON THEM AND STOP SALE ON ALL 1LE FOR 3-4 MONTHS IN THE WINTER , SO I WROTE GM ABOUT THE ISSUE AND HOW THE 1LE ALSO HAS NO TRACTION CONTROL EITHER WHICH MAKES THE CAR COMPLETELY USELESS IN 75 % OF THE TIME .... AND IN NJ A WASTE... GM WROTE BACK THAT SINCE I WORK FOR CHEVY I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT I WAS BUYING AND SO ON BASICALLY SLAMPPED ME IN THE FACE AFTER SPENDING 47,000 THAT WAS BS. THEN I TALKED TO THE SERVICE MANAGER AT OUR DEALER HE CALLED THE AREA REP AND THEY BLOW ME OFF FOR 2 MONTHS AT THE POINT I SAID I HAD ENOUGH I DONT NEED TO DRIVE A GM CAR AND THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE REALLY SUCKS AND GOT SOMEONE TO TAKE OVER THE LEASE... I STILL HAVE MY FJ CRUISER ....I WILL NEVER EVER BUY GM AGAIN AFTER THAT ISSUE AND THEN I FIND OUT WE HAVE A CAR IN OUR BODYSHOP WITH THE SAME TIRES AND A 1LE AND THE GIRL WASTED THE SIDE OF THE CAR AND CLAIMS SAME THING AS ME GM TOTALLY BLOWING HER OFF AS WELL.... CUSTOMER SERVICE IS BAD
Spent almost $50K and didn't do any research?? Your "friend" should buy a Kia and I hope that GM fired you.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown