#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Intake, headers, cam, and lower pulley = greater than 200 whp compared to stock. Is this typical?!? I see guys on here with similar packages (maybe minus the cam ) and their numbers are not this high. Genuinely asking out of curiosity.
Intake, headers, cam, and 15% lower pulley, like this build, should be at least a 700 RWHP car IMO. A good tune, a "Wednesday car" on a good dyno and you're at these numbers. I think it also picked up some good power from the axle back it has on it which if you google you'll find this video:

Which shows them picking up +39 HP from it.

So yes.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Intake, headers, cam, and 15% lower pulley, like this build, should be at least a 700 RWHP car IMO. A good tune, a "Wednesday car" on a good dyno and you're at these numbers. I think it also picked up some good power from the axle back it has on it which if you google you'll find this video:

Which shows them picking up +39 HP from it.

So yes.
Thank you! as always, I defer to you guys. Some dynos just read high. I have seen upper pulley + lower pulley + intake + headers +exhaust + tune combos not making this much power. This just seemed to be a bit generous based on what I've seen, especially with only 15% OD of the blower.

Also, seems odd that an axleback would pick up +39whp when exhaust deletes setups aren't picking that much up. Is the factory exhaust that restrictive? ehhh , I don't understand the science behind an axle back alone picking up 39whp.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Thank you! as always, I defer to you guys. Some dynos just read high. I have seen upper pulley + lower pulley + intake + headers +exhaust + tune combos not making this much power. This just seemed to be a bit generous based on what I've seen, especially with only 15% OD of the blower.

Also, seems odd that an axleback would pick up +39whp when exhaust deletes setups aren't picking that much up. Is the factory exhaust that restrictive? ehhh , I don't understand the science behind an axle back alone picking up 39whp.
I would buy 39 WHP with a tune...
Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #18
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
I would buy 39 WHP with a tune...
Yes, the tune alone can pick that up. Not sure how an axle back could result in 39whp
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
I'm not sure I would call a cam a simple mod.
CAI, Throttle body, pulleys, and exhaust are simple mods but I feel a cam is a little more involved.
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #20
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
This ZL1 owner has good taste, the car looks aggressive and put down good numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry76 View Post
I'm not sure I would call a cam a simple mod.
CAI, Throttle body, pulleys, and exhaust are simple mods but I feel a cam is a little more involved.
Agreed headers are "simple" but no a new cam. Good marketing technique by using the word simple and big hp gains, had me clicking very quickly.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #21
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Yes, the tune alone can pick that up. Not sure how an axle back could result in 39whp
Usually cat/axle backs get their gains from weight savings, which is harder to quantify I suppose since it won't show on a dyno.

Streetspeed717's C7Z is looking badass too!

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #22
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElementalCashew View Post
Usually cat/axle backs get their gains from weight savings, which is harder to quantify I suppose since it won't show on a dyno
I get that, 100%.

I’m just saying, this car is running your setup plus a cam, with 3% less OD. Do CAMS add 100+ HP?

I’m not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand these numbers, which seem a bit high compared to every other build I’ve seen, minus CAMS. These discussions can be very helpful as guys build their cars and are trying to get the best bang for the buck!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #23
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
I get that, 100%.

I’m just saying, this car is running your setup plus a cam, with 3% less OD. Do CAMS add 100+ HP?

I’m not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand these numbers, which seem a bit high compared to every other build I’ve seen, minus CAMS. These discussions can be very helpful as guys build their cars and are trying to get the best bang for the buck!
Well, it's not 100hp for the cam. The tune, headers and pulley add up to more than 50hp.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #24
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
I get that, 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Well, it's not 100hp for the cam. The tune, headers and pulley add up to more than 50hp.
I think it is reasonable that a good blower cam could get 100whp on the LT4, with all the mods I already have as supporting mods. Cam only, with no supporting mods, I wouldn't think 100whp would be doable.

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #25
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
I get that, 100%.

What JB said and every build and dyno is different.. Don’t stress over numbers on a dyno sheet. Worry about real world performance.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #26
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he has the same mods (with tune) minus the cam is doing 100whp less. So yes, that means the cam is adding 100+ whp, epsically if he is overdriving the blower 3% less (15% vs 18%)

Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #27
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
What JB said and every build and dyno is different.. Don’t stress over numbers on a dyno sheet. Worry about real world performance.
yes, trap times are all that matters. I'm mentioning the numbers, because the OP started the thread talking about impressive numbers. I am definitely aware that differences can exist in MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET vs other. Again, we are all here trying to learn. I don't want a newbie seeing this and thinking that it is easy or "simple" as the OP put it to safely add 200whp over stock , especially without meth or flex fuel (which the OP doesn't mention)

Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
yes, trap times are all that matters. I'm mentioning the numbers, because the OP started the thread talking about impressive numbers. I am definitely aware that differences can exist in MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET vs other. Again, we are all here trying to learn. I don't want a newbie seeing this and thinking that it is easy or "simple" as the OP put it to safely add 200whp over stock , especially without meth or flex fuel (which the OP doesn't mention)
The OP happens to be the owner and head tuner/tech/operator at Race Proven Motorsports which is a top level LT/LS Performance shop. He knows what he’s talking about. He’s speaking and posting for his shop.

A cam, lower pulley, headers and intake is pretty easy stuff for a qualified shop such as RPM. I’d expect 700-730 RWHP for any build with a cam. Obviously, high DA, stingy dyno, bad tune or just a low HP car can change everything. So everything dyno # wise should be taken with a grain of salt.

Another member here has Upper/Lower pulley, intake and headers and runs on E85 and Meth and makes 740 RWHP. So that’s a stock, unopened engine. But at the same time, there are members that have those mods and a cam that make closer to 690-700. Now both cars may run 10.2 at 145 or whatever number you want to use, but their dyno differ. It’s nothing to get worked up about.