Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
How to Fix Technostalgia Sequential Tail Lights for Camaro without Baking - under $10

Although the manufacturer offered to replace the led strips, it was still quite expensive so I thought I would give it a try on one light and see how it went. I purchased some replacement strips for under $10. I can afford to risk $10. It turned out to be quite easy! No audio, just narrations, but the video should guide you. The exact replacements I purchased are listed below too. The best part is that there is no baking and re-gluing needed at all. Maybe this will help someone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Cool, good job on that.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
CALLAWAY11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Callaway
How ironic! I literally, in the last hour, just emailed them asking getting them about getting my burnt out bulbs fixed. I have multiple bulbs on each light out. Then I see this. How much were they going to charge you to fix them . I'm going to order these lights right now. Thank you so much for posting this, I can't wait to do this. Great video also.
2011 Callaway SC572 2SS/RS, TVS 2300 Supercharger, 1-7/8" Kooks LT Headers, Fast 85# injectors, E85 Flex Fuel Conversion, Fore Twin Fuel Pumps, MGW flat stick short throw shifter, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, Liberty Gears Tremec trans, DSS 1000 hp axles, Nitto NT555r drag radials, 10#'s of boost, 702 rwhp/ 697 torque, Recaro seat upgrade
CALLAWAY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yeah those silicone led strips are all over ebay for cheap in different lengths and colors.I actually used a set of the blue strips for my footwell lighting and they have been fine.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
CALLAWAY11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Callaway
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Yeah those silicone led strips are all over ebay for cheap in different lengths and colors.I actually used a set of the blue strips for my footwell lighting and they have been fine.
Yeah, I just bought a set of four light strips for $3.97 shipped. That's crazy, I hope this works
2011 Callaway SC572 2SS/RS, TVS 2300 Supercharger, 1-7/8" Kooks LT Headers, Fast 85# injectors, E85 Flex Fuel Conversion, Fore Twin Fuel Pumps, MGW flat stick short throw shifter, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, Liberty Gears Tremec trans, DSS 1000 hp axles, Nitto NT555r drag radials, 10#'s of boost, 702 rwhp/ 697 torque, Recaro seat upgrade
CALLAWAY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLAWAY11 View Post
How much were they going to charge you to fix them
Sent you a PM
-----------
Everyone, I also simply unplugged the after burners by removing the plug on the back and reaching my hand back there and with one finger popped the green plug off without even removing the lights (gotta know what you are feeling for though) and honestly without the afterburner led strips, it looked much better than a bunch of half-working leds. This is what I did prior to fixing them.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 11-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
Although the manufacturer offered to replace the led strips, it was still quite expensive so I thought I would give it a try on one light and see how it went. I purchased some replacement strips for under $10. I can afford to risk $10. It turned out to be quite easy! No audio, just narrations, but the video should guide you. The exact replacements I purchased are listed below too. The best part is that there is no baking and re-gluing needed at all. Maybe this will help someone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Guy, Many thanks for making this video Wish it was last week when I had my driver outer apart to dry out condensation on the inner lense. I really struggled to get the 4 long screws reconnected ...I didn't know they were different Do you recall what the difference is and what screws go where ?

ps- I took mine off the dy after it rained and saw water droplets on the rubber seal on on the top of the housing. I applied some GE Silicone II Clear Window and Door Caulk all around the seal. TIP -to remove condensation dry the inner lense with a hair dryer and clean it with a piece of guaze lightly dipped in distilled white vinegar, then redry it with the hiar dryer.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Hey Guy, Many thanks for making this video Wish it was last week when I had my driver outer apart to dry out condensation on the inner lense. I really struggled to get the 4 long screws reconnected ...I didn't know they were different Do you recall what the difference is and what screws go where ?

ps- I took mine off the dy after it rained and saw water droplets on the rubber seal on on the top of the housing. I applied some GE Silicone II Clear Window and Door Caulk all around the seal. TIP -to remove condensation dry the inner lense with a hair dryer and clean it with a piece of guaze lightly dipped in distilled white vinegar, then redry it with the hiar dryer.
Did the condensation go away? I am getting condensation in my outer two lenses, what do you guys recommend to fix it?
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
cool
Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossRS4 View Post
Did the condensation go away? I am getting condensation in my outer two lenses, what do you guys recommend to fix it?
Yes, condensation went away Follow what i did in my post. Apply the caulk generously all aound the rubber seal and ALSO on top of the existing caulk where the lense meets the housing (leaks have been reported there too). Don't be afraid to make a mess as you won't see any once you put the bezel back on. You can always remove/peel any off if you want once it hardens or use GooGone on the lense.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
BossRS4

Quote:
Yes, condensation went away Follow what i did in my post. Apply the caulk generously all aound the rubber seal and ALSO on top of the existing caulk where the lense meets the housing (leaks have been reported there too). Don't be afraid to make a mess as you won't see any once you put the bezel back on. You can always remove/peel any off if you want once it hardens or use GooGone on the lense.
I will hopefully have some time this weekend to give it a try. Love these tail lights, just wish there wasn't so many issues with them!
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossRS4 View Post
I will hopefully have some time this weekend to give it a try. Love these tail lights, just wish there wasn't so many issues with them!
From your lips to God's ears! Post back with your results. Good luck.

Some other helpful tips

-When removing the Techno lights start by detaching the resistor housing from the light cavity to give yourself more room to work with. Use 3M emblem tape to reattach the housing ... works very well. Make sure to clean off any existing adhesive on the housing and cavity first or the emblem tape won't hold.

-When removing the lights, after unscrewing the outer upper and bottom bolts tie a piece of thin fishing line to them, it won't affect being able to bolt them back on. Tie the other end to the knob the light cover goes over. This way if you drop a bolt when putting it back on (and you most likely will...LOL) you wont lose it. Works like a charm

FWIW you can forgo trying to put the outer lower bolt back on (as it's virtually impossble to do anyway without removing the bumper). I dropped mine on both sides before I came up with the fishing line idea. The top two bolts holds the lamp just fine.

Last edited by camguynj; 11-03-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
SeaCompiler

Quote:
I really struggled to get the 4 long screws reconnected ...I didn't know they were different Do you recall what the difference is and what screws go where ?
Everyone, you are welcome.

I don't remember, but you will see two of the bolt patterns are different than the other two (at least on mine they were). Two of them are too short, so try it on one side and then the other and you will see that one set is too short and if so, then swap them. I don't know why they did this??!!

I also noticed that the color of the rubber seal was different on each light on my set.

It has not rained in GA in like 2 months, so we will see how well I re-sealed them if it ever rains again.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
BossRS4

Quote:
From your lips to God's ears! Post back with your results. Good luck.

Some other helpful tips

-When removing the Techno lights start by detaching the resistor housing from the light cavity to give yourself more room to work with. Use 3M emblem tape to reattach the housing ... works very well.

-After unscrewing the outer upper and bottom bolts when removing the lights tie a piece of thin fishing line to them, it won't affect being able to bolt them back on. Tie the other end to the knob the light cover goes over. This way if you drop a bolt (and you most likely will...LOL) when putting it back on you wont lose it. Works like a charm

FWIW you can forgo trying to put the outer lower bolt back on (as it's virtually impossble to do anyway without remoing the bumper). I dropped mine on both sides before I came up with the fishing line idea. The top two bolts will hold the lamp just fine.
Thank you for the awesome tips! I lost my 10mm socket when putting them in, I hope I do not lose another.
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill