Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Krypton1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE Krypton Green
SS 1LE Track Day with Supercharger

I recently picked up an ADM LT4 kit for my 17 SS 1LE. I'll be doing the install myself and the recent weather has been perfect for spending a weekend or two in the garage. However, I intend to do my first track day (@ Summit Point) in May and understand that a stock SS is plenty adequate for that. The car is essentially stock, so its still under warranty (whatever a warranty is).. My question is - does anyone else have an lt4 s/c'd (or other brands) SS and track it? Any overheating issues? If you've tracked before/after the install, does it heavily impact the balance of the car?

I'm not a very patient person, so its a struggle for me to leave the blower in the box until May unless there's a damn good reason.
Krypton1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 AM   #2
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I'm here to see the replies too. I am thinking that I might need to upgrade the main radiator as well as trans and diff...but I am waiting for the big hitters on here to have more track time experience on the platform.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Your focus as a rank novice to road courses needs to be on listening to your instructor/coach, working on your line and braking points, picking up flag stations, coping with other traffic, and situational awareness in general . . . in short, pretty much everything except putting down big power on the straights. There's also the matter of making the instructor feel at ease (he/she tends to be less so when a student shows up in a big-power car with zero point zero verifiable experience beyond normal fully-legal street driving).

In any case, drive your first track day, maybe the first few track days, in the car that you're thoroughly familiar with the behavior of. Don't add learning what some significant change to your car does to its behavior to all the track-specific stuff you'll be learning.

My guess is that the car will understeer a bit more, but the bigger issue will be that the transition from understeer under small amounts of throttle to throttle-provoked oversteer on corner exit when you add more will be easier to come by and be more abrupt when it does happen. Kind of like driving a NA car in the rain.

When you do add boost, add small amounts first. Baby steps > four-off.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-22-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I tend to like Norm's posts. Easy to understand and a good voice of reason with a large dose of common sense for us new folks looking to do some tracking.
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Krypton1le

Thanks for the input Norm - I agree with you 100%. The intention would be to install the blower now, get a few months of driving it under my belt, and then track it. My previous car (which I daily drove for 3 years) was a bolt-on/cam c6, which has approximately the same power-to-weight as a 550whp gen6 (7.1lbs/hp in the vette vs 6.8lbs in the camaro). So from a purely speed standpoint, the blower wouldn't be overwhelming. The car currently only has 1500 miles on it so I haven't had much time to learn how it behaves, which is why I'd like to get it on a track (versus learning the limits on public streets). My main concern is with harming the car via overheating, pre-ignition, or other similar issues (similar to the overheating issues the original c7 zo6's had - since this is the same blower). The overall balance of the car is a lesser concern - Im not at the point where 150lbs here or there will impact my times. At the end of the day, I'm going there to have fun and learn the car, not set any track records - so really just want to make sure the setup is safe to track. I spoke with Andy @ ADM and he stated one of his customers does do road/circuit racing - his recommendation was to throw a bottle of torco in the tank to help prevent any pre-ignition when things get nice and toasty. Was sort of hoping that customer was on here with advice and positive vibes lol
Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Norm has good posts and I agree with his input. When you get a tune with the LT4 kit, put a little less timing in the tables for road course use. Make sure you have a spark plug that is one heat range colder like the factory LT4 plug or NGK equivalent.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
I used to have a GTO with 600rwhp and a 911 Turbo with 400awhp, both of which I got on the track with once or twice. Having done 4 track days at Summit with my 1LE this is what I will tell you, stock I am hitting 136 on the back straight. I couldn't imagine having more power right now, more power would really only increase the consumables. Think about whats important to you, big power is fun on the street but not of as much use on the track. So what is important to you street or track performance? The power and weight will upset the excellent balance the car has now somewhat, but if power is really what you want you can have them tune it very conservatively or even reduce the boost with a larger pulley to be safer. The 1LE is the slowest, least powerful, most rewarding and most fulfilling car ive owned in a decade.

Norm is also right, there is so much you will be learning and things to get accustomed to your first half dozen track days. Your goal should really be to learn about being safe, speed will come later.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Krypton1le

All good input and thank you for that - I decided to pull the trigger and get the install started - It's actually almost done at this point. Waiting for a few small parts (new a/c belt, lt4 spark plugs, vacuum hose for the bypass valve). Outside of that, its just fluids and first startup.

At the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that most of my time will be spent driving on the street (99% of it). For street use, I want the blower. For track use, I don't want the blower. Combined with the fact that the weather is currently crappy and I have the time to work on it. Once May/June (nice weather) comes around, i'll want to to spend time driving it / going to events / road trips / etc.. not working on it in the garage.

I still intend to track the car once I get some seat time and feel confident with the tuning. I'll follow the recommendation from Andy to dump a bottle of Torco in the tank for those events and see how things go!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
As a counter point to the weight and balance comments...and too much power...

All he is doing is basically giving his car ZL1 power. No one on this board has complained about the track behavior of the ZL1. Too heavy, too much power, etc.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

It's more about it being his first track day than it is about the power.

Norm
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
There is so much going on your first day at a HPDE event. I was almost so overwhelmed, I didn't think I would do it again. And I come from driving like a young idiot down the backroads of southwest Virginia in the early 90's. Drivers in front of you and behind you, flag stations, doing the things your instructor tells you when your gut says do the opposite. The key thing that I learned was to trust my instructor and do what he says. He happens to be my best friend from my early 90's Navy days..... I had so much more fun the next time I ran, although it was almost a year later. Timing, money, etc.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
Krypton1le

To be fair, I was the one who brought up the power/weight aspects - they're both certainly important but of a lesser concern to me. As is with any powerful car, self control is the biggest factor whether you're on a street or track. That's in my control.

My bigger concern is the engine - so my intention was to see if anyone else with a similar aftermarket blower setup (maggie, whipple, lt4, etc..) has tracked their cars and can provide feedback, suggestions, any issues they encountered, etc..
Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Your first time out, you won't be driving nearly as hard as those in more advanced run groups will be driving. Shouldn't even try to, because your focus needs to be on other things.

Norm
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #14
Krypton1le

Oh i agree 100% Norm! No intention of trying to keep up with the advanced guys - I understand the need to learn the basics before trying to go fast.