Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #43
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Older Drivers

Years ago I was a police accident investigator. After an accident where a senior driver turned left in front of another car, I just gave him a citation. Two weeks later he turned left in front of a motorcycle and the bike rider lost a leg and had a traumatic brain injury. For the next ten years, fair or not, I stipulated that all drivers over 66 be retested.

You can't imagine how angry the families of these older drivers were when they were required to retest.

If I had done it sooner, the guy on the bike might have been ok.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #44
frostys

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
Getting old sucks.

As long as you go after the biggest threat first I would agree .
Young people with big egos and cell phones first.
And then old people that drive when they need food.
The problem with targeting the mass of bad driver is how they can dodge the bullet on the test. It's not hard to do 1 "safe" run every few years where you don't speed, don't do reckless maneuver and don't your cellphone while driving.

I've once seen a dude crash his car while doing a burnout in the DMV parking to celebrate the fact he just got his licences. Turns out he did perfect during the test.
frostys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 AM   #45
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEJNG View Post
Years ago I was a police accident investigator. After an accident where a senior driver turned left in front of another car, I just gave him a citation. Two weeks later he turned left in front of a motorcycle and the bike rider lost a leg and had a traumatic brain injury. For the next ten years, fair or not, I stipulated that all drivers over 66 be retested.

You can't imagine how angry the families of these older drivers were when they were required to retest.

If I had done it sooner, the guy on the bike might have been ok.
How senior was your driver in your example? I would guess much older than 66. If they were only 66 and didnt pay attention when turning they may have always been a bad driver. Like I said above, 65, 66 isnt that old. I watch a few guys in their sixity still pilot 800HP dirt track cars. I think it's more the person than the age. Example. My great gradmother drove her car up to 97 years old. Not far, just around town to church, get her hair done, or go out for luch with her two friends. She never had an accident. Ever. She was very proud of that. She willingly gave it up mid way through her 97th year because her eyes got bad. Now this is 97.

My great grand pap on my other side was the opposite. In his early 80's he started having minor accidents in parking lots ,and they got worse until my grandmother had his pulled and car sold. The funny thing that sticks with me is my grandmother always claimed that he sucked at driving before he got old ,and nobody cared until he had the fender bender in the Weis parking lot in his 80s.
No one replied to my two post about making everyone retest every 5years from the date of aquiring their license. Im assuming because many on here that are pushing for 65 year olds to test dont want to restest themselves. Reseting every five would even it out and not age discriminate. Problem solved.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #46
Carpetguy

Drives: 2011
Young or old there are so many bad drivers out there its Scary
Day after the superbowl had a 23 year old cross over into our lane luckily swerved to avoid a head on collision.
But hit my work trailer so hard knocked off both axles almost flipped.Of course the kid didnt have insurance and found out he was on probabation for a similiar incident.
Carpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #47
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
My wife was the victim of a hit and run and while they didn’t waive the deductible, it was the comprehensive deductible (which was lower) that got applied instead of the collision deductible.

We got a police report but the insurance company told us they didn’t actually require one.
A Comprehensive loss in the insurance industry is described as "other than Collision"
If what you say is true, it was your insurance adjusters first day. It's amazing the
things you read here on camaro5.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #48
rick408

Drives: 2015 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
I really need to invest in a dash cam, this would drive me off the edge
OMG! Dash Cam! What a great idea. I am the MOST anal when it comes to parking the Mamba in public places. Still, there are evil drivers out there who are just attracted to a beautiful car sitting unprotected. I'm ordering one of these today.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Da...dash+cam&psc=1
rick408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #49
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
A Comprehensive loss in the insurance industry is described as "other than Collision"
If what you say is true, it was your insurance adjusters first day. It's amazing the
things you read here on camaro5.
Maybe they did it as a courtesy as we have been customers for a very long time then.

I’ve had three claims over the 19 years we have been with them. First was an at fault accident; no increase since it was first claim. Second was a deer strike that totaled our 2006 Sonata; no increase in rates and covered under Comprehensive as the deer was considered at fault (I thought that was funny but according to the police report, the deer entered the roadway and failed to yield lol). Third was the hit and run - minor damage ($600). They said it was covered under the lower Comprehensive deductible of $250 instead of the $500 Collision deductible (this surprised me also). No increase in rates because, again, not at fault. Zero homeowner claims in 19 years.

We are probably paying for this good claims experience in higher premiums but I have been with other companies where they love to collect your premium but the minute you have a claim, they stick it to you. No thanks.

Interestingly enough, the Sonata that got totaled was my father in law’s old car. Since I think I am the one that kicked off the “old person” discussion, I will throw in my experience. The Sonata had multiple scratches, small dents, etc. on nearly every piece of bodywork. He claimed it was those people at church but we had a feeling he was bumping things and not realizing it. My brother in law finally had to take his keys because it was getting really dangerous. Boy, he was hopping mad. But it was for the best and we bought the Sonata from him.

It is not a specific age where faculties decline - my 75 year old uncle still rides a motorcycle and flies a helicopter and propeller aircraft and I don’t think twice about flying with him - but faculties do decline eventually for many. My experience with my father in law was the decline happens slowly and he did not realize that he had declined.

Everyone thinks they are fine. They were driving ok yesterday and have been driving for years. But at some point, they are not fine. Driving is a critical piece of being independent and it sucks that some should probably stop driving at some point.

There are no easy answers. I am not a fan of retesting at certain ages; as others have said, bad driving is not just an age thing. You really need someone close to the person in question to step in. But that’s an extremely hard thing to do as well.

Last edited by KenKat; 02-16-2018 at 06:19 AM.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:31 AM   #50
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
^ ^ ^ A deer or "animal" impact is always considered a comp claim. It has nothing
to do with who was at fault..... funny
Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #51
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
^ ^ ^ A deer or "animal" impact is always considered a comp claim. It has nothing
to do with who was at fault..... funny
That's not true. Atleast here in Pa it isnt. It probably depends on the company you are with too. Example: you hit a deer with the front of your car. Meaning you hit it. That is most often considerd your fault and will be a collision event(personal experience ). A deer runs into the side of your car. Comprehensive. Deer hit you. It can an does happen. At least here in Pa.

Last edited by motorhead; 02-16-2018 at 09:43 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #52
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sucks that it happened but that definitely looks like it should heat out, with some heat and a quick buff and polish I bet you can have it looking at least 90% if not better. We've had way worse come through the shop that heated out.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #53
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
I had lunch with a friend and his awesome boy and saw this when we walked out to the cars.
Some F-ing coward hit my F-ing car and caved in my F-ing front bumper, bent my F-ing front fender. No note, no cameras covering the parking lot...
Sure wish I had parked it where I could see it.
F-ing cowards...
Waiting to hear from the insurance company.
Oh, and this was after the car wash at my local Sheetz messed up and broke the housing on my passenger side mirror!!!! (Waiting to hear back from them too)
This is exactly why I don't eat lunch!!
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #54
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I still can't get over running the car through an automatic car wash.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #55
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Ride a motorcycle and take the rider classes, that taught me how to really look and be aware — ‘safety bubbles’ won’t forget that one...

Too many distracted drivers now..

Yep, I’m closer to the big 60 so I actually train more now, thus the hdpe and motorcycle classes...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 AM   #56
Rahnok
Fish Poop Aficionado

Drives: 2015 2LS SIM
That would have made me so mad. I would definitely get a dash cam. I will be getting one for myself soon probably. I’ve only had the car for two months and some moron has left a ding above my front right wheel and put a black streak down the side. It’s nothing major, but the fact that I specifically parked in an area where other cars would be less likely to park and hit the car irritates me.

As for the topic of the retesting, I completely agree that people should be retested at 65. I know that many elderly people are great drivers, but there would need to be some point to define the law. It just seems like a good number as some people actually do reach the point of being incapable of driving at this age. It is true that there still are very bad drivers at any age. I am 18 and consider myself to be a fantastic driver, but I have some coworkers that are just complete idiots when it comes to driving. The truth is though, that there really isn’t a convenient way to prove younger people are bad drivers as they typically have the better reflexes and sight and could beat the retest anyways. The elderly, on the other hand, would be much easier to test.

Logistically, even if we were just to retest people over 65, it still wouldn’t be likely to work. We would need a lot more locations to perform the retests, hire much more employees, and develop complex courses to accurately test automotive reflexes. So honestly, none of this would ever happen, or at least not any time soon. It’s all nice on paper, though... Just my 2¢...

PS: Sorry if I hurt your feelings for considering 65 elderly