Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
5-6k budget, what can/should I do?

I've had my 2010 v6 camaro for about a while now, and I figured now I'd like to add some mods to it.

I'm not really familiar with mods and bolt ons and how they all work exactly, but I like learning.

I have a cold air intake already, so I at least have that out of the way.

I wanted to get a good sounding exhaust for sure. I think I really like the ark exahusts, especially the n-II and that goes for around 1200 I think.

Should I be getting headers as well and what kind? any other kind of mods?

I really want my car to sound great and horsepower gains are always welcome. I've always felt like my v6 is very quiet. Startup is very unremarkable to me as well as WOT. I just don't want it to sound raspy or droney. I know its a v6 and probably won't have that perfect v8 grumble, but I'd like to get close or at least have it sound really great if I cant get close.

my budget is around 5-6k, but that doesn't mean I want to spend all of it if I don't have to. I also wanted to do some blackout lights and tint, as well as a bodykit if I end up having some left over. So while that is my budget, I also have other things I would like to do. I was even considering a turbocharger, but with labor, I think that would go over my budget even thats all I went for.

Any help on what the right brands and mods to get in that budget would be greatly appreciated. And if you have videos of what things sound like that you recommend, that is very welcome!

Thanks
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Here's my honest opinion. If you want more power and that's solely what you're after, then go with an IPF supercharger. You might be just a bit over budget but it'll be all the power you'd need and very fun car to drive.

Now, if you're like me, I know how much it'd pain you to spend all your budget on one thing so I'd do a variety of things. Without knowing what your plans are for the car, I'd suggest a nice exhaust and some bolt ons. You can then use some money for cosmetics and other areas you might like. Here's what you might like to do if you want a little of everything and the car is going to be a daily driver/fun to drive.

Performance:
Ark DTS Exhaust (quiet but nice growl, also no drone) - $1200
Headers (BBK, OBX, ARH, all good brands) - $400 to $1200
Vmax Iceolator - (biggest bang for the buck mod) - $150

Suspension:
Sway Bars (any name brand, make a big difference and make car fun to drive) - $400

Cosmetics:
Anything you want

I can give you a lot more recommendations just need to know how you'd like to use your car and what you'd like out of it

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
You need to ask yourself what are you looking to do.

Performance, Cosmetic, Handling.

Those are the 3 areas I broke my mod build into. I was always trying to keep a well balance diet of the three. So far to date I have achieved that goal.

% of money spent on the 3 categories respectively is 30 / 35 / 35

Take a look at this thread for some tips and ideas on where to spend some money.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893

Have a plan in place then go and enjoy spending, modding and driving your new ride.

This a another thread to listen to for good sounding exhaust systems.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33104
Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
Sell that car and use the 5k to 6k as a down payment on a SS. You can thank me later.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
If you want to keep your specific car, then go IPF SC or get a turbo kit, you would get way more power out of it then the bolt on route which would cost quite a bit of cash

If you dont mind letting go of your car, I would use the 5-6k and put it towards an SS

And I have a V6, I love my car dont get me wrong, but if I wanted more performance, I would probably go for the SS because its a better platform to work with. COnsidering you have an LLT like myself, even SCing or Turboing it is limited becuse of our stupid ECU

So my Camaro is solely a daily driver but one that is heavily modded visually.
My speed fix is my bike.

Best mod I have ever done on my V6 was my SOLO exhaust, hands down best mod
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Redliner1960

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
Exhaust (whichever you chose) will most likely be your favorite mod... it repays you every time you start the car or hit the throttle.

I waited awhile for wheels and regret holding off... nothing changes the appearance more than your choice of wheels.

I can't help you performance wise as I haven't addressed that yet other than my CAI, good luck making your choices and always remember it's yours (Make it what you want it to be).

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
what exactly is a sway bar?
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by htoniv View Post
what exactly is a sway bar?
It is a piece of the suspension that connects one wheel of the car to the opposite side. It helps reduce body roll to better handle in the corners.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Put it in your retirement account. Long after the Camaro is gone you will be glad you did.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Redliner1960

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Put it in your retirement account. Long after the Camaro is gone you will be glad you did.
That got a smile out of me!

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
mrchen

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6, 2013 Camaro 2LS
There is no V6 camaro on earth worth spending 6k on, buy an SS or move up to a vette
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
You need to ask yourself what are you looking to do.
This. You have to have an idea of what you are trying to accomplish. How do you use your car? What do you want it to do better?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchen View Post
There is no V6 camaro on earth worth spending 6k on, buy an SS or move up to a vette
So wrong, I save so much money on insurance because I have a v6 that I have money for mods like a supercharger if I ever want that 440+ hp. It all depends who you are or how you are. I don't want to pay for v8 sportscar insurance. I'd rather save the money up I save on that to totally customize my car, but that's me
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchen View Post
I guess I should have brought one because I am in zl1 territory with the money I spent. With that said I love my 6 its different. Like other have said balance how you spend it bolt ons( header, exhaust, iceolator) are a excellent upgrade then suspension mods (apex chase will get you right) and so cosmetic mod. There will always be someone to say upgrade and in some respect they maybe right but then again they dont know everyone's situation. It a car have fun is my motto.

sent form my mini computer note 2
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote