Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
jkon

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
half shaft under warranty?

So i was drivin down the road and i downshifted and i hear this giant boom bang thing and apparently it was my half shaft exploding or something like that... hahaahhahahahaha anyways... so anyways i towed it to my dealer to get it fixed and i bought the car new and i've had it for 4500 miles. I get a call from the dealer today and the service guy said that my tires were bald and thats saying something since i only have 4500 miles on my car. He said it was an uncommon problem. So he has to order the part. So the way i interpreted it is theyre gonna try to blame this on me and try not to cover it under warranty. Any thoughts?
jkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkon View Post
So i was drivin down the road and i downshifted and i hear this giant boom bang thing and apparently it was my half shaft exploding or something like that... hahaahhahahahaha anyways... so anyways i towed it to my dealer to get it fixed and i bought the car new and i've had it for 4500 miles. I get a call from the dealer today and the service guy said that my tires were bald and thats saying something since i only have 4500 miles on my car. He said it was an uncommon problem. So he has to order the part. So the way i interpreted it is theyre gonna try to blame this on me and try not to cover it under warranty. Any thoughts?

Hello jkon,

It is possible for a warranty to be found void due to owner's vehicle neglect. At this point I would recommend just staying in contact to find out what's next or what's the update from your current dealer because you are well within your warranty now. If you like, I can contact your dealer to get an update for you and get back to you with my findings.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
jkon

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello jkon,

It is possible for a warranty to be found void due to owner's vehicle neglect. At this point I would recommend just staying in contact to find out what's next or what's the update from your current dealer because you are well within your warranty now. If you like, I can contact your dealer to get an update for you and get back to you with my findings.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Ok so how would they conclude that the cause was neglect or misuse? Can they prove that anyway? I don't think that bald tires can prove that neglect took place. Thanks for your response btw
jkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkon View Post
Ok so how would they conclude that the cause was neglect or misuse? Can they prove that anyway? I don't think that bald tires can prove that neglect took place. Thanks for your response btw
Hello again jkon,

Your very welcome. Dealership technicians make this determination based on their service diagnosis. You do have the option to take your vehicle to another dealer for a second opinion as well. I recommend that you wait for the official diagnosis. The issue at hand must be found to be a result of owners neglect first before voiding the warranty.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
The tires should last alot longer than 4500 miles. If your tires are gone at 4500 miles its very obvious you have been beating on the car, doing burnouts brake stands donuts launches etc.....
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
he may have traded for a bald set to another camaro owner . so he can buy aftermarket set . ever think of that lol

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
he may have traded for a bald set to another camaro owner . so he can buy aftermarket set . ever think of that lol
That doesn't even make sense. If I saw a set of bald tires on a car it's pretty obvious of the life it's lived. Nobody is gonna buy a brand new car and get rid of the tires for bald ones. He beats on the car and expects it to get fixed for free?? All that does is make the cars more expensive for responsible owners.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
It's a CAMARO!!! Under warranty, fix it! Not one person can truthfully say they've never done a burnout or two. These ae not KIA'S or Hundai's.. Drive em hard!
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Tires balding at 4500 miles. Maybe one to many burnouts
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Wow 4500 bald. 8500 I wore out my first set on my 2010 L99. My LS3 has 9300 miles and I still have half my tread left. I would say he has really been hard on is car. I even have 3.91 gears and have not wore out my tires.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
It's a CAMARO!!! Under warranty, fix it! Not one person can truthfully say they've never done a burnout or two. These ae not KIA'S or Hundai's.. Drive em hard!
Yea. It's a camaro. It's still a car with mechanical parts that have limits and if its abused to many times those parts will fail. People like the OP that expect free repairs after breaking their car on purpose make the cars more expensive for responsible people.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
I for one can honestly say that I have never done a burnout with any car I have ever owned or any bike I have ever owned.
When you say that not ONE person can truthfully say that they have never done a burnout, you are 100% mistaken. Just as I do not ride a wheelie or do a stoppie on my sportbike(GSXR-1000), some of us just enjoy the ride! I have had my fair share of rockets and I enjoy the power without acting like I have money to burn or a death wish.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBiker View Post
I for one can honestly say that I have never done a burnout with any car I have ever owned or any bike I have ever owned.
When you say that not ONE person can truthfully say that they have never done a burnout, you are 100% mistaken. Just as I do not ride a wheelie or do a stoppie on my sportbike(GSXR-1000), some of us just enjoy the ride! I have had my fair share of rockets and I enjoy the power without acting like I have money to burn or a death wish.
Hahaha.. I doubt he broke his car on purpose and if he did so what.. If they can fix it under warranty, big deal. He paid for a warranty when he
bought the car.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
C586
Account Suspended

I don't mean intentionally but when you tear up a set of tires that bad he wasn't driving it like he wants it to last forever.