Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Regio_42
Ready...Set...Gone.....

Drives: 10' Camaro SS/RS "Stacy"
Fuel economy standards 2016

So a few days ago i read the 6th Gen Camaro should come out around 2015 and i remembered that by 2016 the mpgs of every car in the U.S should be 35.5 mpg and over.

Will the 6 Gen camaro pull high mpgs on V8's or will camaros have turbo V6?

Didn't see a thread about this, and made me think a little.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
RallyYellow11

Drives: Nothing
I could be wrong but I think it might be average across the manufactures fleet. Basically take every car they have and get the average. That was my understanding of it.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I'd be willing to bet that time-frame gets extended.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyYellow11 View Post
I could be wrong but I think it might be average across the manufactures fleet. Basically take every car they have and get the average. That was my understanding of it.

Yes this is the way it's figured. It's called CAFE standards, or Corporate Average Fuel Economy. So they can have massive gas guzzlers so long as they have super efficient cars to balance it out.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regio_42 View Post
So a few days ago i read the 6th Gen Camaro should come out around 2015 and i remembered that by 2016 the mpgs of every car in the U.S should be 35.5 mpg and over.
Show me the bill that passed into law that says this is so.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
And 54.5 in 2025. I believe the EPA can just mandate it, but perhaps it was passed by congress. Here's a short article about it that certainly sounds like it was mandated by some part of the administration:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...andard-by-2025

Last edited by DGthe3; 04-25-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: polical advocacy
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Here are a few basic highlights...............CAFE standards are law and contary to some finger pointing inferences, the current Whitehouse administration isn't to fault.

Quote:
The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) are regulations in the United States, first enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1975,[1] and intended to improve the average fuel economy of cars and light trucks (trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles) sold in the US in the wake of the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo. Historically, it is the sales-weighted harmonic mean fuel economy, expressed in miles per US gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer's fleet of current model year passenger cars or light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 pounds (3,856 kg) or less,
Quote:
Starting in 2011 the CAFE standards are newly expressed as mathematical functions depending on vehicle "footprint", a measure of vehicle size determined by multiplying the vehicle’s wheelbase by its average track width. [3] CAFE footprint requirements are set up such that a vehicle with a bigger footprint has a lower fuel economy requirement than a vehicle with a smaller footprint.
Quote:
In 2002, a committee of the National Academy of Sciences wrote a report on the effects of the CAFE standard.[12] The report's conclusions include a finding that in the absence of CAFE, and with no other fuel economy regulation substituted, motor vehicle fuel consumption would have been approximately 14 percent higher than it actually was in 2002. One cost of this increase in fuel economy is a possible increase in fatalities,
[QUOTE ] NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) expressed concerns that smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles may lead to increased traffic fatalities.[6][7] Thus higher fuel efficiency was associated with lower traffic safety [/QUOTE]

Quote:
A plot of average overall vehicle fuel economy (CAFE) for new model year passenger cars, the required by law CAFE standard target fuel economy value (CAFE standard) for new model year passenger cars, and fuel prices, adjusted for inflation, shows that there has been little variation over the past 20 years
Quote:
For the purposes of CAFE, a manufacturer's car output is divided into a domestic fleet (vehicles with more than 75 percent U.S., Canadian or post-NAFTA Mexican content) and a foreign fleet (everything else). Each of these fleets must separately meet the requirements
Quote:
Manufacturers are also allowed to earn CAFE "credits" in any year they exceed CAFE requirements, which they may use to offset deficiencies in other years. CAFE credits can be applied to the three years before or after the year in which they are earned. The reason for this flexibility is so manufacturers are penalized only for persistent failure to meet the requirements, not for transient non-compliance due to market conditions.
Quote:
Before the oil price increases of the 2000s, Overall fuel economy for both cars and light trucks in the U.S. market reached its highest level in 1987, when manufacturers managed 26.2 mpg
Quote:
On December 19, 2007, President George W. Bush rendered the court judgment obsolete by signing the Energy Independence and Security Act, which set a goal for the national fuel economy standard of 35 miles per gallon (mpg) by 2020.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Here are a few basic highlights...............CAFE standards are law and contary to some finger pointing inferences, the current Whitehouse administration isn't to fault.

ummmm, not quite. Bush never made a decision on final implementation of the 35 MPG goal. and it was just a goal. how it was actually accomplished, (basically how the average was figured) was never implemented by bush. what Obama did was greatly accelerate and expand it. originally that 35MPG goal wasn't to be in force until 2020. now, we get it 4 years early, and by 2025 cars will need to reach in excess of 50 mpg. I believe it also huts because of the way the average is figured. I don't think it factors sales volume, or foreign and domestic fleets like it previously did.

kiss muscle cars goodbye if this bean bag gets reelected.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Though the EPA measures vehicle fuel efficiency it does not set the standards nor administer CAFE regulations. NHRSA does............

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulates CAFE standards promlugated by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 under the careful watch and direction of the U.S Congress.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 04-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
ummmm, not quite. Bush never made a decision on final implementation of the 35 MPG goal. and it was just a goal. how it was actually accomplished, (basically how the average was figured) was never implemented by bush. what Obama did was greatly accelerate and expand it. originally that 35MPG goal wasn't to be in force until 2020. now, we get it 4 years early, and by 2025 cars will need to reach in excess of 50 mpg. I believe it also huts because of the way the average is figured. I don't think it factors sales volume, or foreign and domestic fleets like it previously did.

Quote:
After further amendments and negotiation between the House and Senate, a revised bill passed both houses on December 18, 2007[7] and President Bush, a Republican, signed it into law on December 19, 2007 in response to his "Twenty in Ten" challenge to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% in 10 years.[8]
CAFE certainly is a pandora's box of contary and opposing findings regarding the theory, methdology and formula used to decrease our nations dependency on oil................the end results and any net benefits have yet to been seen. Obviously as history has proven the only guarantee's we have are............we'll bare the cost, no matter who resides in the big house or whom-ever else walks the halls in servitude of the public.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post

Muscle cars are here to stay, but they will not be plentiful and probably not as cheap (trying to keep a straight face while thinking of the base price of a GT500 or a ZL1 for that matter) as today's cars are. The thing to remember is that we do not know how long oil will last so enjoy it while it lasts. The key thing to take from the new formula is the footprint calculation into the standard for the newer regulation, so a wider longer wheelbase car should be required to get less mpg than a similar size car if I read and understand this correctly.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVENGE View Post
What?!!! You mean this is not Obama's doing?[/QUOTE]

Not unless a 12 year old boy riding a buzzbike along the pathways of volcanic archipelago was responsible.........

Quote:
The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) are regulations in the United States, first enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1975,[1] and intended to improve the average fuel economy of cars and light trucks (trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles) sold in the US in the wake of the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
One must also realize that the 35.5 mpg and 54.5 mpg figures used in CAFE requirements are not the same as the EPA estimates which you see on the stickers of new cars. They are both calculated using different methodologies and formulas with the EPA estimate being lower than the CAFE estimate.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
CAFE certainly is a pandora's box of contary and opposing findings regarding the theory, methdology and formula used to decrease our nations dependency on oil................the end results and any net benefits have yet to been seen. Obviously as history has proven the only guarantee's we have are............we'll bare the cost, no matter who resides in the big house or whom-ever else walks the halls in servitude of the public.
The results seem to always be no matter how much they try to "improve" mpg and/or discourage oil consumption, more and more vehicles are sold over-all and consumption of oil always goes up, in spite of the govt's "best efforts"....lol....

On the positive side, I wouldn't lose any sleep over what may or may not happen in the future. Auto-makers have survived all rules and regulations to this point and continue to make great cars. At least we have now the ability, and hopefully will have in the future, to work around and by-pass the "mileage" features of these cars and make them perform to our satisfaction.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote