Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #43
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It seems like the majority of unhappy people posting here with "gears to grind" drive a V-6 or an automatic or both.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #44
BigMikeTX

Drives: 2010 2SS
"What grinds my gears". Traffic. My knee gets tired. Gotta shift tho, it's the best.
BigMikeTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #45
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
It seems like the majority of unhappy people posting here with "gears to grind" drive a V-6 or an automatic or both.

Na.....ive driven both for over 30 years so when somebody says someting about an auto its usually somebody that hasnt driven a car with a clutch that takes all you strength to engage or one thats so worn your constantly have to work it to get going. Ive said it a million times about todays manuals......never ever have they been easier to drive the today. And for those that havnt driven a stalled ...geared and tuned l99..which is most yapping. You have no idea how quickly you will be sitting on the line wondering wtf just happened.

I put zero credit in roll racing....that was invented by the many manual drivers that cant launch their car. Funny....people are never as good with a manual as most think. I give full props to the guys that can launch....shift and drive the shit out of their cars. The guys that can know they can.....the guys that cant find out in a hurry.........happy fri.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #46
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Na.....ive driven both for over 30 years so when somebody says someting about an auto its usually somebody that hasnt driven a car with a clutch that takes all you strength to engage or one thats so worn your constantly have to work it to get going. Ive said it a million times about todays manuals......never ever have they been easier to drive the today. And for those that havnt driven a stalled ...geared and tuned l99..which is most yapping. You have no idea how quickly you will be sitting on the line wondering wtf just happened.

I put zero credit in roll racing....that was invented by the many manual drivers that cant launch their car. Funny....people are never as good with a manual as most think. I give full props to the guys that can launch....shift and drive the shit out of their cars. The guys that can know they can.....the guys that cant find out in a hurry.........happy fri.
No, it was invented to prevent leaving driveshafts on the street.

It started on the Chicago Skyway in the late '70s when guys were running for top end.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #47
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
You actually have 312hp. The 304 number was the certification for the Cadillac CTS. Chevy finally got around to SAE certification for the LLT in the Camaro in April 2010 and bumped the number to 312.
and 323 for the LFX. anyhow, if people ask me why I got a v6 (only happened once or twice in the 5 years I've owned it) I tell them the truth. get in enough trouble in the V6.

as far as grinding the gears, only one thing that does that. Slow drivers. doesn't matter if it's the asswhole driving 10mph below the limit in the left hand lane, or the jerk pulling a train down a 2 lane rd you can't pass on. nothing irritates me more than being forced to drive the speed of the slowest prick on the road who's completely oblivious to anybody else.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #48
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
No, it was invented to prevent leaving driveshafts on the street.

It started on the Chicago Skyway in the late '70s when guys were running for top end.
I witnessed it all through high school in the early 80s. Bad manual drivers just jumped on board. Haha.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #49
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quote:

WTF language are you trying to write in? I have no idea what any of that even means.

I rest my case.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #50
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
I rest my case.
It's funny how the L99 dominates in the quarter mile... Ls3 can't keep up because of the manual.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #51
BigMikeTX

Drives: 2010 2SS
Oops there goes the gauntlet. ^^^
BigMikeTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #52
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

To be honest, I kinda enjoyed it. It brings back a lot of good memories of running Woodward and Gratiot in Detroit during the 60's. You would already be in cruise mode, so backing down to 25-30 mph and giving it a go would be a no brainer. It was a bit different back then, with the autos being a 2 or 3 speed and manuals being 3 or 4 speed. We wouldn't go for crazy fast speeds, just 75-80 mph. Normally you would have it figured out by then, if not shame on you.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #53
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
To be honest, I kinda enjoyed it. It brings back a lot of good memories of running Woodward and Gratiot in Detroit during the 60's. You would already be in cruise mode, so backing down to 25-30 mph and giving it a go would be a no brainer. It was a bit different back then, with the autos being a 2 or 3 speed and manuals being 3 or 4 speed. We wouldn't go for crazy fast speeds, just 75-80 mph. Normally you would have it figured out by then, if not shame on you.
Im not talking about random meetups on tbe street. It was the countless times ive heard ...lets go from a roll because im not that good at launching my car......im 47 so ive figured it out lo g ago.....no need for concern. Quick runs are still going strong.....its more of the opinions people have when watching a vid of two cars going from a 30 or 40 roll then trying to say which ones faster. Those days are called the good old days for a reason. Ive already booked my vacation to go to my first ever Dream Cruise this year.

Last edited by rontammy0; 03-10-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #54
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
It's funny how the L99 dominates in the quarter mile... Ls3 can't keep up because of the manual.
Then why does it "grind your gears" when someone brings up the automatic thing?

Speaking of roll races....this one is funny as hell.

https://youtu.be/i2CS1HUp3hY
Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #55
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
Then why does it "grind your gears" when someone brings up the automatic thing?

Speaking of roll races....this one is funny as hell.

https://youtu.be/i2CS1HUp3hY
People underestimate what an auto can do. They need to realize that technology is advancing. The new zl1 has a 10 speed auto... It will whip the 6 speeds ass
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #56
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
Makes me want to trade my car in.... not...

Enjoy your 1/4 mile blanket mmm toasty....

Actual road course is where it's at, stock for stock you May win the quarter but on a road course I win the race.

You enjoy yours and I will enjoy mine.