Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
2017/2018 ZL1: post up your Whipple upgrade dynos!

Hoping some of you have installed the Whipple upgrade kit on otherwise 100% stock 2017 or 18 ZL one? Could you please post up your before and after dynos so that we can verify the claim of 125 rear wheel horsepower is real by Whipple?
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Boost or bust

Seriously? NOBODY has purchased and installed the new Whipple 2.9L upgrade kit? C’mon, seriously?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Seriously? NOBODY has purchased and installed the new Whipple 2.9L upgrade kit? C’mon, seriously?
Literally in your backyard Cunningham Motorsports has done a few. Check their website/FB.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Literally in your backyard Cunningham Motorsports has done a few. Check their website/FB.
Yes. They don’t show the Whipple upgrade on all an otherwise stock car. All of their cars have major engine surgery. I only want to bolt on the Whipple and go.
I will call them today and see what they know on legitimate RWHP on a stock cr with the upgrade. Let y’all know!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Yes. They don’t show the Whipple upgrade on all an otherwise stock car. All of their cars have major engine surgery. I only want to bolt on the Whipple and go.
I will call them today and see what they know on legitimate RWHP on a stock cr with the upgrade. Let y’all know!
Most people don't spend 8k+ install to put a Whipple on a bonestock ZL1..... just saying. They usually are gonna do other bolt-ons and cam to get the added fuel. Then you are in the 900whp range like Cunningham has posted before.

Keep the stock blower if you intend on not touching ANYTHING else on the car. Waste of money.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Most people don't spend 8k+ install to put a Whipple on a bonestock ZL1..... just saying. They usually are gonna do other bolt-ons and cam to get the added fuel. Then you are in the 900whp range like Cunningham has posted before.

Keep the stock blower if you intend on not touching ANYTHING else on the car. Waste of money.
The results are in and you are correct! I just got off the phone with Troy at Cunningham motorsports and he has confirmed that a Whipple upgrade will only produce 20 to 30 rear wheel horsepower on otherwise stock engine. I’m pretty upset that whip or whatever times 125 rear wheel horsepower on their upgrade when it’s nowhere near that. I think they ought to be ashamed and come clean it’s no wonder that they have never offered were provided a dino chart and never will showing that the upgrade produced 125 hp . I’ll give Whipple a chance to come clean before I flame them.

Moving forward Cunningham can do a lower pulley upgrade with some cooling on their stage one package as advertise for something in the neighborhood of $3000 and this will yield approximately 50 rear wheel horsepower which should be enough of a kick to keep me happy but I was drooling over the prospects of 125 .

Cunningham specifically suggested that a Whipple supercharger really only would be needed if we’re looking for huge power gains over 150 rear wheel horsepower which I am not. Anyway I hope this helps you and anyone else out there who is considering this upgrade it is the reason no one is buying these units they make no financial sense and the claims are false.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
These lt4s run out of fuel fast and whipples really shine with more boost. The Zr1 needs port injection to make 755hp with a 2650. Now stock but with some meth or port injection you would be more impressed.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Flame them??????? What would you flame them for????

The LT4 blower can make power with mods. You obviously don’t know much about ZL1 plartform

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Parker View Post
Flame them??????? What would you flame them for????

The LT4 blower can make power with mods. You obviously don’t know much about ZL1 plartform
They claim 125 RWHP gain on a stock engine. This isn’t not true. When you call them and ask for the dyno chart, they always have an excuse why they do not have one. But, when you speak directly to all of the tuners and dyno shops out there who have installed the kit on a STOCK ZL1 they laugh and State, no, only about 30 RWHP. However, if you install the Whipple on a highly modified ZL1, it is “capable” of 125 RWHP. This is why nobody will waste their time buying a Whipple when we can get a quick and easy 50-75 hp with a pulley and tune. What is comes down to is orde of operations: do some engine upgrades like cam/heads to get more airflow...THEN install the Whipple. That is not what the majority of us will do, as it is very expensive. Hope this helps anyone from wasting their money thinking just a whipping swap will make you a bass ass. It will not.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Shit, ProCharger doesn't even make that claim with their F1-94A kit. They did a blower only conversion with the F1-94A kit and only picked up like 70-80RWHP, and this blower will a lot more power then the Whipple. I think you might have been a bit misinformed about what mods to do to the LT4 for power. Most people with the LT4 are just not going to swap just the blower and that's it. In a LT1 application, I could that happening. But for the LT4, you just don't need to upgrade the blower until you start maxing out other things like the stock blower and fuel system.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Shit, ProCharger doesn't even make that claim with their F1-94A kit. They did a blower only conversion with the F1-94A kit and only picked up like 70-80RWHP, and this blower will a lot more power then the Whipple. I think you might have been a bit misinformed about what mods to do to the LT4 for power. Most people with the LT4 are just not going to swap just the blower and that's it. In a LT1 application, I could that happening. But for the LT4, you just don't need to upgrade the blower until you start maxing out other things like the stock blower and fuel system.
Exactly, this is what I am finding. Bummer, cause I wanted a smog legal power bump (California here), but there is nothing one can do with the ZL1.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Isn't whipples 125whp gain claim with an overdrive pulley? Meaning, stock LT4 vs. Whipple + pulley? Kind of not apples to apples, but I feel like that's what I recall seeing.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Isn't whipples 125whp gain claim with an overdrive pulley? Meaning, stock LT4 vs. Whipple + pulley? Kind of not apples to apples, but I feel like that's what I recall seeing.
Here is what their website says...you decide! I interpret that it is a complete kit with tuner nd the claim is 125. Hell, I’ve called them and their own employees laugh and then quote a much lower number. Marketing BS?

The new supercharged LT4 engine uses a small, 1.76L roots-type supercharger which falls off on efficiency whenever increased volume is required. The new 2.9L Whipple twin-screw supercharger increases the airflow capacity and power potential. Stock engines can pickup 125RWHP with just the supercharger upgrade and calibration. With 64% more displacement, you can lower supercharger speeds nearly 6000RPM to get the same airflow! Lowering power consumption, temperature and unlocking huge power gains!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #14
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Here is what their website says...you decide! I interpret that it is a complete kit with tuner nd the claim is 125. Hell, I’ve called them and their own employees laugh and then quote a much lower number. Marketing BS?

The new supercharged LT4 engine uses a small, 1.76L roots-type supercharger which falls off on efficiency whenever increased volume is required. The new 2.9L Whipple twin-screw supercharger increases the airflow capacity and power potential. Stock engines can pickup 125RWHP with just the supercharger upgrade and calibration. With 64% more displacement, you can lower supercharger speeds nearly 6000RPM to get the same airflow! Lowering power consumption, temperature and unlocking huge power gains!
Yeah, I don't know where I saw that. I must be thinking of something else.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote