Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Cam Only?

Have anyone tried cam only, maybe cam and some boltons on stock boost? if so, what were the results?
I think the LT4 could definitely use a shift of the torque curve a little to the right (more top end, less bottom end)
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
LS3 Machine

Drives: 2017 Colorado ZR2, 2018 ZL1
I like how you are thinking, but Maybe a small pulley upgrade at the same time? I’m guessing there would be a small boost decrease with a more aggressive cam?
LS3 Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Just an opinion, but the stock cam is well matched to the heads and stock exhaust. If I were going to dive into the engine and replace the cam / retune, I believe it would be most cost effective to at least add long tubes and high flow cats, and probably have the heads redone. Just my 2 cents.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
TeleZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Just an opinion, but the stock cam is well matched to the heads and stock exhaust. If I were going to dive into the engine and replace the cam / retune, I believe it would be most cost effective to at least add long tubes and high flow cats, and probably have the heads redone. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Its the whole "while your in there" thing for me. Gotta pull the valvetrain apart, might as well yank the heads. LTs would be a must for me at the very least.
TeleZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
TheMailMan0

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I would knock it all out while you're in there. If you do a cam, definitely go with Long tubes you will not be disappointed. I did 690 RWHP 670 TQ with the bolt ons in my sig.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #6
DOHCVTEC

yea that's what I was thinking, definitely in agreement with long tube headers
pretty sure heads are expensive but I'll probably price it out when its time. Always thought these heads are pretty good but I guess there may be room for improvement
one thing though is though..., I do not want to overspin the supercharger. I don't want heat soak, extra parasitic loss, greatly increased engine abuse.. I'm really keen on street/track reliability

but I am definitely thinking I really wanna move that torque curve to the right of the graph.. That insane low end makes me feel like I'm lugging the engine even when I don't want to accelerate too har..
and it can definitely use more top end

oh almost forgot, cnc supercharger porting definitely in order

so just wondering what to expect from the cam it self
thinking BTR stage 3
Old 08-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
You can move the torque curve and also get more fuel in, but without touching anything else, you are not going to gain anything significant from what you can get with a tune and no cam.

Also, you may still need to change lifters, etc.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
yea that's what I was thinking, definitely in agreement with long tube headers
pretty sure heads are expensive but I'll probably price it out when its time. Always thought these heads are pretty good but I guess there may be room for improvement
one thing though is though..., I do not want to overspin the supercharger. I don't want heat soak, extra parasitic loss, greatly increased engine abuse.. I'm really keen on street/track reliability

but I am definitely thinking I really wanna move that torque curve to the right of the graph.. That insane low end makes me feel like I'm lugging the engine even when I don't want to accelerate too har..
and it can definitely use more top end

oh almost forgot, cnc supercharger porting definitely in order

so just wondering what to expect from the cam it self
thinking BTR stage 3
Ported heads from TP are around $1000. Your are already spending the money to pull them
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #9
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
Ported heads from TP are around $1000. Your are already spending the money to pull them
gotcha
who is TP?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
gotcha
who is TP?
Texas speed typo sorry