Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Venomz

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
AWE Touring Edition Cat-Back Check Engine Light Issues

Just wanted to find out if anybody else was having any sort of issues with their AWE Touring catback exhaust? Mine has been plaguing me with check engine light issues for a few months now. Specifically P0420 for Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

I have a 2018 A10 ZL1 with the AWE touring catback (non-resonated) with the performance link pipes. My car is completely stock other than this exhaust system.

I purchased the system back on 10/05/18 and installed it myself on 10/12/18 with no issues. After about 250-300 miles with the exhaust installed and no check engine light, on 11/10/18 it came on for the first time (P0420).

It was on 11/14/18 that I reached out to AWE for support. They recommended ensuring all the clamps were tightened down correctly to prevent any exhaust leaks as that could potentially cause the check engine light to come on. When you first start the car I had noticed some water dripping from one of the clamps close to the driver side cat, so I agreed to retighten everything down since I may have made a mistake along the way. By 11/21/18 I had taken the AWE system off my car, reinstalled it myself again to ensure everything was installed correctly, and cleared the check engine codes. The check engine light had stayed off for a few days so I reached out to AWE again to inform them that everything appeared to be good to go but requested additional clamps so I could reinstall my system with new clamps if necessary. They happily fulfilled my request and sent me new clamps free of charge which I received on 12/07/18.

At the time I received the new clamps, I had driven maybe another 100-150 miles or so and the check engine light remained off. It wasn't until 12/17/18 that the light returned, reading the same P0420 code.

I hadn't used the car much since then, with the holiday season and all, but this past weekend on 01/12/19 I cleared the check engine codes again, took my car to a mechanic that I trust, and had him reinstall the exhaust system with the new clamps that were provided to me. We turned the car on once while it was in the shop, and everything seemed to be good to go so I went on my way. The check engine light came back on before I even got back home. I've cleared the code again on Monday (01/14/19) but it came on again this morning (01/16/19) on the way to work.

I'm a little stuck at this point, so I was hoping to get some advice from anyone here. AWE states they have a "No Check Engine Light" guarantee, so I was really hoping to avoid any sort of issue like this when I bought it. Any help or advice at all is most appreciated. Thank you.
Venomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I think you likely have a converter problem. Maybe it’s coincidence that it threw the code when you installed the new exhaust???
I have never seen a cat back exhaust system cause a converter problem. And yes I have installed lots of exhaust systems. I bet the converter has a problem.

The other thing you could try although a pain in the ass, if you don’t want to go to the dealer the put the original exhaust back on. I could be wrong but I bet the code will still come up
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
subd
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
TeleZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Installed the same exact setup last weekend. I have not driven it a lot yet but so far no codes. I will keep y'all posted and check back on this one.
TeleZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I am throwing same code on mine. Have yet to tighten clamp behind driver side cat though.

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Venomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I think you likely have a converter problem. Maybe it’s coincidence that it threw the code when you installed the new exhaust???
I have never seen a cat back exhaust system cause a converter problem. And yes I have installed lots of exhaust systems. I bet the converter has a problem.

The other thing you could try although a pain in the ass, if you don’t want to go to the dealer the put the original exhaust back on. I could be wrong but I bet the code will still come up
I know this is a possibility and it has crossed my mind, but I really don't feel like the catalytic converter is the case. When all the exhaust pipes were off, physically looking at the cat and into the cat didn't show anything that I could tell was wrong. Then again, I wouldn't really know what to look for that would tell me definitively there was an issue with it.

Putting the original exhaust back on and taking it to the dealer would be my last resort. If I can't come up with a better solution in the next couple weeks I'll probably just have to suck it up and do it though.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
tateintx

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel ZL1
Sub'd....my AWE set up (Touring non resonated, PTP and black tips) just got delivered this afternoon and was looking to install tomorrow.
tateintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
More than likely you're experiencing a significant enough of a leak that the sensor is picking up on it. Make sure your sensors are thoroughly plugged in. Start the car on a lift with your/somebody's hands feeling at all joints for exhaust.

Highly doubt this is coincidence that you installed an exhaust and got a cat related engine light.

Although, it sure does read like you've been damn thorough with the install. It's possible you have a primary cat problem but man would that be like the sun, moon, and stars aligning.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
DFW_Muscle

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I too have the touring system with OEM primary cats and the AWE performance link pipes and touring resonated system.

Haven’t had a CEL pop on yet but only have a couple hundred miles on it at most.

I too have a pretty gross leak at the driver side PLP. The OEM cat exit is small and the OD of the PLP is 2 3/8”. AWE supplies a cheesy 2 3/8” silicone turbo coupler style clamp that uses a single m6 bolt to secure it. There’s no way this clamp is providing enough torque to close up the PLP around the factory pipe.

I’ve spent my spare time over the past week tryin to find a better clamp but am coming up short. I have only found 2 exhaust clamps in 2 3/8” size: one is a u-bolt style clamp that despite fitting decent still didn’t stop the pipe from leaking, and the other is a Walker clamp but it’s too wide (about 4” long) to fit on the joint. So that one wasn’t even tested as it physically wont fit the system.

I sent an email to AWE and they acknowledged the size is making it tough to find a proper clamp but the supplied one should work. Well as we are finding, it really doesn’t. They offered to send me a muffler paste but that isn’t a good solution IMO.

At this point the only solution I am seeing is to weld up a 2-bolt flange like what is used on the passenger side. That’s the only connection in the system that is 100% leak free. Or, weld the PLP to the cat and lose the clamp / flange altogether (less ideal).

If anyone out there knows of a proper 2 3/8” exhaust clamp please share! I’ve tried 2.25” and 2.50” and they are too tight or too loose to seal. Needs to be 2 3/8” for the AWE system’s PLP setup.
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #10
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Sounds like AWE should be doing some legwork on this. Shouldn't have to be us.

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #11
TeleZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I am going to jack mine up this weekend and take a look for any sign of leaks. The only issue I have had so far is that the bung for the passenger side O2 is angled at a way that that tip of the O2 where the wires connect is barely touching a line that runs along the transmission. I am going to fab a little bracket to move said line about 1/4" and it should be fine. Easier than replacing the PLP on that side.

Ill report back on my findings.
TeleZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Venomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Muscle View Post
I too have the touring system with OEM primary cats and the AWE performance link pipes and touring resonated system.

Haven’t had a CEL pop on yet but only have a couple hundred miles on it at most.

I too have a pretty gross leak at the driver side PLP. The OEM cat exit is small and the OD of the PLP is 2 3/8”. AWE supplies a cheesy 2 3/8” silicone turbo coupler style clamp that uses a single m6 bolt to secure it. There’s no way this clamp is providing enough torque to close up the PLP around the factory pipe.

I’ve spent my spare time over the past week tryin to find a better clamp but am coming up short. I have only found 2 exhaust clamps in 2 3/8” size: one is a u-bolt style clamp that despite fitting decent still didn’t stop the pipe from leaking, and the other is a Walker clamp but it’s too wide (about 4” long) to fit on the joint. So that one wasn’t even tested as it physically wont fit the system.

I sent an email to AWE and they acknowledged the size is making it tough to find a proper clamp but the supplied one should work. Well as we are finding, it really doesn’t. They offered to send me a muffler paste but that isn’t a good solution IMO.

At this point the only solution I am seeing is to weld up a 2-bolt flange like what is used on the passenger side. That’s the only connection in the system that is 100% leak free. Or, weld the PLP to the cat and lose the clamp / flange altogether (less ideal).

If anyone out there knows of a proper 2 3/8” exhaust clamp please share! I’ve tried 2.25” and 2.50” and they are too tight or too loose to seal. Needs to be 2 3/8” for the AWE system’s PLP setup.
So since you brought up that 2 3/8" clamp and I've already had some issues with that side as well, I took another look at the installation instructions provided from AWE.

It looks like they've changed the instructions. On page 5, Step 6 for "Installing the AWE Secondary Catalyst Delete Kit", the instructions I printed out back in October stated to "Slide the included 2 3/8" barrel clamp over the inlet of the driver side 2nd cat delete section (part B11); and install as shown by Arrow A in Figure 6."

If you download the instructions from AWE's website today, the same step states "Slide the included 2 3/8” barrel clamp over the inlet of the driver side 2nd cat delete section (part B11); apply the supplied muffler sealant to the slip fit to prevent a check engine light. Arrow A in Figure 6." Additionally, at the beginning of the document where the Parts List is for the "Secondary Catalyst Delete Kit" it lists that it contains "Muffler Sealant" now.

As you stated, it really does seem that they are very aware that the current 2 3/8" clamp is not cutting it and have decided to use muffler paste as a stop gap solution. I also disagree that this is an optimal solution since I feel I shouldn't need something like muffler paste to compensate for an exhaust system I spent a good amount of money for.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
maybe these product will work...

https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...ilpipe-sealer/

a little leak and $500 cheaper maybe worth not buying a Corsa or Borla system..

Hopefully the permatex does the trick..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #14
Rugdr

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Just asking...I know this is a bolt on or clamp together system. What would be the hurt in getting someone to weld all the joints together? Would this not take care of the leaking sections? I know that you shouldn't have to do this but it seems like the easiest fix for a problem like this...rather than smearing stop leak all over the gaps.
Rugdr is offline   Reply With Quote