Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 03-29-2024, 10:19 PM   #1
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
OEM oil pump died

It lasted 21900 miles. I was beginning to think I was one of the lucky ones.

The night prior I had the privilege of showing a 5.0 Mustang that this particular ZL1 is not to be trifled with.

And the very next morning the dash was showing "low power mode" and the oil pressure was dropping to 20psi at idle.

Picked it up today and the only change was the Katech oil pump. The oil pressure would not drop below ~37psi. At moderate throttle it would easily show 50psi on the dash. It was very reassuring to see oil pressures that were just not possible with the OEM oil pump.
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:23 PM   #2
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones that avoid engine damage! I hope that Katech unit brings you some much needed piece of mind.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:29 AM   #3
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
It lasted 21900 miles. I was beginning to think I was one of the lucky ones.

The night prior I had the privilege of showing a 5.0 Mustang that this particular ZL1 is not to be trifled with.

And the very next morning the dash was showing "low power mode" and the oil pressure was dropping to 20psi at idle.

Picked it up today and the only change was the Katech oil pump. The oil pressure would not drop below ~37psi. At moderate throttle it would easily show 50psi on the dash. It was very reassuring to see oil pressures that were just not possible with the OEM oil pump.
Great job picking up on the phase 1 failure data. How long did it take to get it repaired and what was the cost? I imagine you're warranty was gone.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:32 AM   #4
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones that avoid engine damage! I hope that Katech unit brings you some much needed piece of mind.
This is truly class action worthy. It's just a matter of time and use before these things go. I wonder if a lawyer would pick this up.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:32 AM   #5
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
the oil pressure was dropping to 20psi at idle.
This is eactly what mine did before failure a few thousand miles later.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:00 AM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Sucks to see these oil pumps drop like flies! I had 2 fail so far, GM extended warranty on engine to 7 years. If it holds on that long, i have katech on my to do list shortly before the problem becomes my problem.

GM has history of revising parts and not changing part numbers, so we never know what revision we're getting or what changes were made along the way.

Remember those bad ignition cylinders from few years ago? Yeah, they quietly revise parts to bury the problems.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:26 PM   #7
Rlhay2

Quote:
the oil pressure was dropping to 20psi at idle.
For those reading this is the 1st clue that the OEM pump is about to die! My repair was paid for out of pocket because I did not want the faulty pump to be replaced with another faulty pump. My local dealers will not install aftermarket parts.

That 14 hours of labor was costly but the peace of mind is invaluable! It is incredibly reassuring seeing the needle come down from the 50 psi range for oil pressure.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:00 PM   #8
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
For those reading this is the 1st clue that the OEM pump is about to die! My repair was paid for out of pocket because I did not want the faulty pump to be replaced with another faulty pump. My local dealers will not install aftermarket parts.

That 14 hours of labor was costly but the peace of mind is invaluable! It is incredibly reassuring seeing the needle come down from the 50 psi range for oil pressure.
I’m sorry you had this happen to you, but I’m glad you caught it. It would be a shame to have that car with a blown engine. @Nightowl is facing a real sad situation that’s completely a warranty issue. Did you take your car to a speed shop or a private shop? Did they have evidence that it was internally cracked? I also bought a Katech pump and waiting for warranty to expire to replace it. I still have 3 years on my GM warranty and my ZL1 only has 1400 miles on it.

Last edited by george; 03-30-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:57 PM   #9
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Super great job on being aware and catching 'phase 1'.

Best of luck moving forward.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM   #10
Rlhay2

Admittedly, I got lucky! I was 3 miles from home and my return route did not involve any stop lights or stop signs. The piece of mind not having to worry any longer is invaluable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Did you take your car to a speed shop or a private shop? Did they have evidence that it was internally cracked?
I had the work completed at AMP https://advancedmodernperformance.com/
They have done more cam swaps/oil pump removals than most dealers will ever complete!

The "pumping rings" of the pump cracked in the very same places they have all failed!!
I could post a picture but a Google or forum search will provide the same information.

At 1400 miles, there is not much pressure to make the swap. But as the Katech swap is only 30 minutes and a few bolts shy of a camshaft swap, I think everyone considering a cam change should add $500 to that budget and get the Katech oil pump!!

I hit 70psi this afternoon merging on the highway!!
I've been watching that oil gauge every time I have driven the car for the past 2 years!
It saved me an engine but it's nice to not HAVE TO keep any eye on it any longer.

After 7 years, I am falling in love with driving this car a 2nd time!

Last edited by Rlhay2; 03-30-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:31 PM   #11
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Admittedly, I got lucky! I was 3 miles from home and my return route did not involve any stop lights or stop signs. The piece of mind not having to worry any longer is invaluable!

I had the work completed at AMP https://advancedmodernperformance.com/
They have done more cam swaps/oil pump removals than most dealers will ever complete!

The "pumping rings" of the pump cracked in the very same places they have all failed!!
I could post a picture but a Google or forum search will provide the same information.

At 1400 miles, there is not much pressure to make the swap. But as the Katech swap is only 30 minutes and a few bolts shy of a camshaft swap, I think everyone considering a cam change should add $500 to that budget and get the Katech oil pump!!

I hit 70psi this afternoon merging on the highway!!
I've been watching that oil gauge every time I have driven the car for the past 2 years!
It saved me an engine but it's nice to not HAVE TO keep any eye on it any longer.

After 7 years, I am falling in love with driving this car a 2nd time!
I agree. Rarely do I take a look at mine anymore, I see pressures of 40 and 70 at idle and wide open throttle on a full hot run ever since doing my build. Beautiful numbers and peace of mind.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote