Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Starting Line School Auto X Saturday. Setup advice?

So I'll be attending the SCCA Starting Line School in Darlington on saturday. So from the information I've gathered below is the setup I plan on running. I also might try to get the car to an alignment shop to make sure the toe front and rear is pretty close to factory specs. I'm not going to run track spec alignment as this is my daily driver and I don't want to constantly change my alignment.

Here is what I'm planning to start with. Advice is welcomed.

-30 PSI start (F/R)
I'm not sure what PSI I should target once warm so I may try to feel it out of take the advice of some of the instructors.

- Track Mode (PTM 3,4,or 5)
I think 4 or 5 might be best so I'm getting a natural feel for the handling without stability control stepping in while learning. I imagine PTM 3 may be the fastest overall setting though once I've learned a little car control

- Rear Seat Removal?
I was considering pulling the rear seat, but as silly as it sounds I can't shake the thought that I'm only moving the balance of the car further forward by doing so.

What else am I missing? Keep in mind this is my daily driver and I can't go over the top on any track specific setup.

Last edited by mjk3888; 02-13-2017 at 09:49 AM.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

FYI I hate you.... I wish I could make it down for that this weekend haha

But all that sounds pretty good for the setup, only other thing I could think of other that the obvious recommended oil/brake fluid change (but does that really apply for Auto X? Or is it more for track days due to the amount of time you spend driving hard???) is the track alignment.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
FYI I hate you.... I wish I could make it down for that this weekend haha

But all that sounds pretty good for the setup, only other thing I could think of other that the obvious recommended oil/brake fluid change (but does that really apply for Auto X? Or is it more for track days due to the amount of time you spend driving hard???) is the track alignment.
Oh yeah. I should have mentioned. I already run the track reccomended 5w40 Motul Dexos2 and have already drained and refilled the rear diff fluid. You are right though. The oil mostly pertains to being able to handle much higher loads for extended periods of time without getting too hot. So it's mostly effective on track not a short burst auto cross. Brake fluid I would also imagine is needed for big tracks since auto cross is more about rythm and wouldn't contain much if any high speed braking areas.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
My first auto-x with the car was yesterday (2-12). I ran 32PSI all around and kept it there. I'd like to know how 30 felt when you are done. I stared out in PTM 1, then went to PTM 2, I did PTM race for the last two laps. PTM Race the car felt the best and I did my fastest times. Was second out of eight in A Street. Got mashed by 1.3 seconds by an '03 (I think) Z06 (my excuse being first time in RWD car).

For SCCA AS, cannot remove weight, but I would think your assumption is correct, the more rear weight removed the more unbalanced (front biased) it will become.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
My first auto-x with the car was yesterday (2-12). I ran 32PSI all around and kept it there. I'd like to know how 30 felt when you are done. I stared out in PTM 1, then went to PTM 2, I did PTM race for the last two laps. PTM Race the car felt the best and I did my fastest times. Was second out of eight in A Street. Got mashed by 1.3 seconds by an '03 (I think) Z06 (my excuse being first time in RWD car).

For SCCA AS, cannot remove weight, but I would think your assumption is correct, the more rear weight removed the more unbalanced (front biased) it will become.
Good to know. I'll leave the seat alone. In my experience with PTM on my sporty runs through the mountains I've found PTM 1 & 2 are REALLY Conservative. I rarely use them.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
32F/30R is a sweet spot.

FYI - track alignment for a DD is fine. The change is mild.

Have fun at the school. They are usually very well run with very qualified instructors. Mine was a 2 time former National Champ in Solo.

Post your impressions and some video!

BTW - you get some nice swag, too. My wife tried for years to steal my cone.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
32F/30R is a sweet spot.

FYI - track alignment for a DD is fine. The change is mild.

Have fun at the school. They are usually very well run with very qualified instructors. Mine was a 2 time former National Champ in Solo.

Post your impressions and some video!

BTW - you get some nice swag, too. My wife tried for years to steal my cone.
I'll try the 32/30 then. I'm more concerned about tire wear on the track alignment. I'm definitely excited about the school. Sounds like a well run event.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Leave the back seat in. Other than that, hydrate, relax, learn, and have fun.

Don't mess with the car too much. A school is about you. Personally, in those situations I prefer no driving aids if possible. That way everything that happens is because of you and you are building knowledge and skills that are going to be translatable to anything you drive. It is a personal decision, though, and more than anything else you have to feel comfortable with it.

FWIW I've been autocrossing a really long time and I've been an Evolution instructor for 7 years.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnos View Post
Leave the back seat in. Other than that, hydrate, relax, learn, and have fun.

Don't mess with the car too much. A school is about you. Personally, in those situations I prefer no driving aids if possible. That way everything that happens is because of you and you are building knowledge and skills that are going to be translatable to anything you drive. It is a personal decision, though, and more than anything else you have to feel comfortable with it.

FWIW I've been autocrossing a really long time and I've been an Evolution instructor for 7 years.
Good advice. I'm thinking I'll pick a setup and stick with it the whole day. I can work on tweaking setups after I learn the basics. I'll probably go either PTM 5 "Race" or all assists off.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Are you doing the Sunday run, too? I just joined SCCA yesterday - I wonder if I can take that money off the Starting Line School as I see it's included in the package. Mayhaps I'll see you there if so!
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #11
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

My understanding is that you can use the free event at anytime. Including Sunday. I personally will be using it for the march event at ZMAX with the Central Carolina's region, but I'll definitely be there all day Saturday. Hope to see you there. Would be awesome to see another 6th gen.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
My understanding is that you can use the free event at anytime. Including Sunday. I personally will be using it for the march event at ZMAX with the Central Carolina's region, but I'll definitely be there all day Saturday. Hope to see you there. Would be awesome to see another 6th gen.
I'll be at ZMAX, too! So, either way, I'll see you soon!

What I meant was I paid the $90 SCCA joining fee just yesterday ($60 SCCA, $30 regional), but I see that with the school on Saturday you actually get SCCA membership included when you pay the $300 or so for the day. So, I don't want to pay the full amount when I just paid $90 of what you get already. I'll get in touch with them and find out! I also intend to do the track night at CMP in April, and I see you get that included too! Bargain! I've done a few track days in cars and on a bike, but autocross is completely new to me.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
Unless you're on a road course more than 10 minutes.. you don't need to do anything.. just seat time & exp
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
So I'll be attending the SCCA Starting Line School in Darlington on saturday. So from the information I've gathered below is the setup I plan on running. I also might try to get the car to an alignment shop to make sure the toe front and rear is pretty close to factory specs. I'm not going to run track spec alignment as this is my daily driver and I don't want to constantly change my alignment.

Here is what I'm planning to start with. Advice is welcomed.

-30 PSI start (F/R)
I'm not sure what PSI I should target once warm so I may try to feel it out of take the advice of some of the instructors.

- Track Mode (PTM 3,4,or 5)
I think 4 or 5 might be best so I'm getting a natural feel for the handling without stability control stepping in while learning. I imagine PTM 3 may be the fastest overall setting though once I've learned a little car control

- Rear Seat Removal?
I was considering pulling the rear seat, but as silly as it sounds I can't shake the thought that I'm only moving the balance of the car further forward by doing so.

What else am I missing? Keep in mind this is my daily driver and I can't go over the top on any track specific setup.
Start with stock cold inflation pressure, check it before you drive to the school. Leave it there and ask the instructor if they think it might need to be adjusted depending on how the car is handling. (too much push or oversteer for example) People would typically overinflate tires in the past to stiffen the sidewalls due to the shoulder rolling over under heavy cornering, but I don't think the Goodyear 3s will have any issues like that.

My recommendation would be to turn off as much of the nannies as you can so you can get a feel for the car. You are going to be there with a really good instructor you are paying good money to learn from. If the nannies are on and are limiting throttle because you are trying to corner and accelerate at the same time beyond what the car can safely do then they will help you fix that instead of it getting covered up by the nannies.

Leave the seat in, it's not allowed to be removed in Street Classes anyways.

A proper track alignment without things like camber plates should not cause excessive wear on your tires. The most you are likely to get is -2.0 degrees camber up front and maybe -1.5 in back. On my 5th Gen I have -1.7 front and -1.4 rear and that was maxed out, and I have nice even wear. The Goodyear 3s are not going to last long no matter what though, and you can't dismount and rotate since they are diff sizes front to back. If wear is going to be an issue then it might be a good idea to invest in a second set of wheels with some all-seasons on them with a 400+ treadwear. Then just swap on the race tires for autocross.