Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime555 View Post
Why do you say that?
Because in the Camaro, the hill assist seems to kick in randomly, and it doesn't release for several seconds. As an example, it sometimes kicks in while on a perfectly flat surface, and then holds you for several seconds, forcing you to wait, stall, or smell the clutch. Luckily it can be defeated by pulling up one click on the parking brake (but with the '16's electronic parking brake, will this be possible?).

I also have a Subaru with hill assist and it is an example of proper execution of this feature. It always kicks in when needed, never when you don't need it, and it releases the moment you hit the gas. No waiting, no stalling, no burning up the clutch. Completely seamless.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #16
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
I can tell you that in my opinion it was totally a waste of time,the car would still roll back when the brakes released on a steep enough hill and I tried several ways to keep that from happening.And there was the awful clutch burning smell you had to deal with,nothing but a problem for a long time manual trans.driver who could hold on a hill with clutch and gas pedals no problem never rolled back even with a car behind me,who knows maybe they have improved the system for the new Camaro but I wouldn't count on it.
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #17
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
My wife's Lexus needed some work and they dropped off a brand new NX200t which had this. You could turn it on so that any time you were stopped it would kick in. Gotta say it was kind of neat taking your foot off the brake and gas at lights. It worked great, just touching the gas pedal released it. Neat system and my first interaction with that kind of thing.

I always used to freak out on hills growing up (we lived in the middle of a very large hill where I grew up) because all I had to drive was my parents 4 speed Volvo wagon. My dad never taught me about using the Ebrake to help out, I just had to use the brakes, gas, and clutch and hope to not stall, or roll into the car in back.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Probabaly a second or two, by the time you reach 5 seconds you will be moving forward or rolling backward, or vice versa given the terrain. It is for manual transmissions. I think SF is one of few cities it would be truly helpful.

Laborsmith
The brakes will be engaged, you will not move. Gotta count to 4.5!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Hill start sucks. When a light turns green and you need to go, you can't. 5 seconds is a long time.... You can power through it but then once it releases you get that surge in rpm and power. If you wait for it, like i do, then you spend the 5 seconds holding the clutch and waiting for it to roll backwards which ends up being worse than just going without the HSA.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Hill assist doesn't get activated very often in my 1LE but I find it annoying. I have been driving stick since I got my license and can usually get the car moving faster than hill assist would let me, which causes the car to lurch. I wish it was something I could turn off.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The brakes will be engaged, you will not move. Gotta count to 4.5!
Yeah that doesn't seem very cool... in that Lexus it was instant. Soon as I touched the gas pedal it was off.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Keep in mind that the hill assist will just 'maintain' your braking pressure.
The harder you step on the brake pedal, the more pressure holds you in place when you lift your foot. If you just use enough brake pressure to hold your car, the easier you'll find to manage it when you lift your foot to go.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
It's hard to have the Prius next to you pull away for 2 secs while your waiting for the hill assist to disengage....I just pull up on the e-brake until I hear one click...then as soon as your rolling release the e-brake....

Feel sorry for the 6th Gens that cant do this.....no e-brake....maybe they'll make it a option you can turn off in the DIC.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #24
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
I would have imagined that they would provide switch or so ..so that the driver can decide when he wants to use it.. that would make more sense... I hate how everything is getting computer controlled. It sure has benefits but if its as badly executed as people are saying it is... this thing is going to ruin all the fun of driving it in SF

I think I am just going to wait for someone to try it on the new camaro and post their experience here...
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #25
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
I would have imagined that they would provide switch or so ..so that the driver can decide when he wants to use it.. that would make more sense... I hate how everything is getting computer controlled. It sure has benefits but if its as badly executed as people are saying it is... this thing is going to ruin all the fun of driving it in SF

I think I am just going to wait for someone to try it on the new camaro and post their experience here...
I see a test drive or a rental in your future! You get used to it, no big deal!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #26
SacraMaro

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, M6, NPP
I have a 2014 and went up and down Lombard street, on accident albeit, but still up and down. OnStar put me in the wrong place

The hill assist was great. I could have done it by pulling the hand brake like in the past with the other two Camaro's since they were manual... but the assist is better than pulling the hand brake IMO

2002 Black on Black Convertible Z/28, M6 History
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z/28, M6 History
1981 Gold Berlinetta, Auto History
1976 C10 Stepside, History
SacraMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #27
bhavyas

I found this information from the 2015 Sonic owners manual:

"This vehicle has an HSA feature, which may be useful when the vehicle is stopped on a grade sufficient enough to activate SA.
This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. After the driver completely stops and holds the vehicle in a complete standstill on a grade, HSA will be automatically activated.During the transition period between when the driver releases the brake pedal and starts to accelerate to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure for a maximum of two seconds to ensure that there is no rolling. The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two-second window. It will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill, or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R(Reverse)."

So as per this, if you start pressing the gas pedal it should turn off and the max duration is 2 seconds, not 5 secs.... I would be surprised if they have implemented it differently for the camaro!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #28
bhavyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacraMaro View Post
I have a 2014 and went up and down Lombard street, on accident albeit, but still up and down. OnStar put me in the wrong place

The hill assist was great. I could have done it by pulling the hand brake like in the past with the other two Camaro's since they were manual... but the assist is better than pulling the hand brake IMO
Did the hill assist go off as soon as you stepped on the gas pedal, or did u have to wait almost 5 seconds for it ...