Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #57
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Doc, I love your stuff, even if its not what I would have done if I had the same 3D skills as you.

The problem is, people look at the big picture, and say it looks like a certain car. They are right, and wrong.

Look back in history guys!!! For every 5 year span, 95% of the cars have almost 80-90% of looks in common between them. Sports cars, sedans, trucks, etc all share a ton of their design cues with eachother regardless of the manufacturer, because they all follow the same trends.

So yes, at first glance you say that looks like a 3000gt, but people also look back now and say the 4th gen camaro looks like a chrysler sebring. Say that in 2012, and ill agree with you. Say it 1998, and you would have been a lunatic!

Cause at the time, the little features are what separate the cars. People will say the 2010 mustangs and camaros look alike in the future, but we will say, "no the wheels are bigger, the hips are wider, the camaro has Halos on the headlights, look at the gills!"

So people dont see the roof/window/quarterpanel lines, front fascia, etc that are all diff from the 3000gt, they just see the big picture. The truth is, to design a realistic car, you can barely change anything big, or it becomes another concept car that never gets made, you have to keep with the trends of the body style and change the small things.

I understand you are going for a realistic approach to a car that can actually be sold in the US, it seems a lot of others dont.

Keep it up!

/end of rant.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #58
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Doc, I love your stuff, even if its not what I would have done if I had the same 3D skills as you.

The problem is, people look at the big picture, and say it looks like a certain car. They are right, and wrong.

Look back in history guys!!! For every 5 year span, 95% of the cars have almost 80-90% of looks in common between them. Sports cars, sedans, trucks, etc all share a ton of their design cues with eachother regardless of the manufacturer, because they all follow the same trends.

So yes, at first glance you say that looks like a 3000gt, but people also look back now and say the 4th gen camaro looks like a chrysler sebring. Say that in 2012, and ill agree with you. Say it 1998, and you would have been a lunatic!

Cause at the time, the little features are what separate the cars. People will say the 2010 mustangs and camaros look alike in the future, but we will say, "no the wheels are bigger, the hips are wider, the camaro has Halos on the headlights, look at the gills!"

So people dont see the roof/window/quarterpanel lines, front fascia, etc that are all diff from the 3000gt, they just see the big picture. The truth is, to design a realistic car, you can barely change anything big, or it becomes another concept car that never gets made, you have to keep with the trends of the body style and change the small things.

I understand you are going for a realistic approach to a car that can actually be sold in the US, it seems a lot of others dont.

Keep it up!

/end of rant.
Thank you sir!

While working on a major remodel this shape appeared before my eyes. Not sure if it necessarily works as a Camaro, but it's interesting! I've saved it as a separate file just in case it has potential.

Name:  2020 Camaro Concept 6A.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  42.9 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro Concept 6b.jpg
Views: 26582
Size:  57.2 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #59
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just some thoughts.

It looks like you badly want the Camaro to be a Corvette. No room for much if any rear seat in what you have there. Not that the Camaro has much of a rear seat today, but there is some and there is some headroom. I remember the old Geo Storm that I had. I only had head room if the rear hatch was open.

Get rid of the touch pad for door unlatching. It's expensive and they frankly suck. I worked on it on the XLR and C6. The back up mechanical system required isn't worth it. Plus it's a Corvette/Cadillac design element. Put a door handle on it and you'll be better off.

Your front door cut line probably won't swing unless you put a goose neck hinge on it. Wouldn't recommend that, but it's been done.

Also the front fender feature is very close to the wheel opening. It might not be formable in steel or aluminum. Plastic has drawbacks (refer to earlier Camaros).

You likely don't have enough front fender to clear normal wheel articulations. This would restrict tire travel and hurt ride a lot.

Your current b-pillar configuration will have a tough time passing current MVSS 216. That is why the current Camaro has a massive b-pillar.

You are also carrying over one of the things I like least in the Camaro and that is the big plane rear quarter panel. You have a nice feature through the front fender and it just dies in the door.

The effort is certainly nice, but you are going away from the Pony car formula and making the car just another sports car.

I like the overall side view profile very much, it's just too sports car for me to like it as a Camaro.

Like I've said, takes courage to put stuff out there like you are doing. Keep going and don't be discouraged. But hopefully you are putting out there to foster discussion not just have a bunch of us line up to say how awesome it is. You have to remember that in most clinics not everyone likes even the greatest designs. And if you talk to the folks in the Design Studio, they would like to just keep going and refine the design forever. But at some point you have to go into production so they have to stop. In all my experience the designers have never said, "that's it. It's perfect. I'm done!".
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #60
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just some thoughts.

It looks like you badly want the Camaro to be a Corvette. No room for much if any rear seat in what you have there. Not that the Camaro has much of a rear seat today, but there is some and there is some headroom. I remember the old Geo Storm that I had. I only had head room if the rear hatch was open.

Get rid of the touch pad for door unlatching. It's expensive and they frankly suck. I worked on it on the XLR and C6. The back up mechanical system required isn't worth it. Plus it's a Corvette/Cadillac design element. Put a door handle on it and you'll be better off.

Your front door cut line probably won't swing unless you put a goose neck hinge on it. Wouldn't recommend that, but it's been done.

Also the front fender feature is very close to the wheel opening. It might not be formable in steel or aluminum. Plastic has drawbacks (refer to earlier Camaros).

You likely don't have enough front fender to clear normal wheel articulations. This would restrict tire travel and hurt ride a lot.

Your current b-pillar configuration will have a tough time passing current MVSS 216. That is why the current Camaro has a massive b-pillar.

You are also carrying over one of the things I like least in the Camaro and that is the big plane rear quarter panel. You have a nice feature through the front fender and it just dies in the door.

The effort is certainly nice, but you are going away from the Pony car formula and making the car just another sports car.

I like the overall side view profile very much, it's just too sports car for me to like it as a Camaro.

Like I've said, takes courage to put stuff out there like you are doing. Keep going and don't be discouraged. But hopefully you are putting out there to foster discussion not just have a bunch of us line up to say how awesome it is. You have to remember that in most clinics not everyone likes even the greatest designs. And if you talk to the folks in the Design Studio, they would like to just keep going and refine the design forever. But at some point you have to go into production so they have to stop. In all my experience the designers have never said, "that's it. It's perfect. I'm done!".
Now this is EXACTLY the kind of information/post/feedback I need!!! THANK YOU! I've actually taken a screenshot of that and I'll use that info to guide future revisions.

It's not that I want the Camaro to become a Corvette, it's just that the new Stingray has clearly struck a chord with the customer base and I've been more or less trying to move in that direction. And I am in fact putting these versions "out there" to not only foster discussion, but provide a means for Camaro fans to put in their suggestions (which some are doing!) to hopefully get a better idea of what the community would like to see.

The idea of going away from a pony car and towards a sports car is one I've mulled over quite a bit. From everything I see on the forum it seems a lot of customers focus on the performance which to me, indicates a desire for more of a sports car. With the new Z/28 I wonder...could the Camaro evolve into more of a sports car? I don't know but I would definitely be interested to find out what the fan base thinks of that. And for some reason I'm finding it much easier to design sports car concepts than a pony car concept.

I laughed when I read your comment about the folks in the Design Studio. I can easily imagine that kind of mentality where you never stop seeing things you want to change lol! I have to constantly stop myself from going back to versions I know would never be used, and changing things anyways because I saw something I'd like to do differently now.

After the crapstorm reaction to the back of the 2014 refresh, I wanted to start a positive feedback process instead of just condemn/complain. I really hope these threads provide a safe venue for the fan base to put in their feedback so the guys in Design can get their finger on the pulse of what fans want without having to risk their own designs in here or wasting their time responding to useless criticism. And who knows...I may just happen to stumble upon a look that actually works. Your feedback is going to be immensely valuable in helping me shape the next revision.

Thank you very much!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #61
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Cool stuff!

The Corvette in my opinion should always be forward in its design. That's the way it started out just look at the drastic changes between the C1, C2 and the C3.
The Camaro on the other hand should move more in an evolutionary way. With the 5Gen they nailed it! They need to take it slowly towards the 6Gen and beyond while considering any across the board necessary vehicle changes.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #62
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
Your front end shape in post #58 does hold some interest. While it's just an animated looking rough draft for you, it's starting to develop a little attitude, which is what made the 5th gen front work.

Start playing with some projector, signal & fog lights in a similar headlight shape & this may turn into something pretty cool for 2020.

One detail that has definitely changed in the last approx 10 years is all these new projector & led light designs. These new technologies are starting to have a mind of their own. Just went to the Jacksonville new auto show today, saw quite a few new lighting designs. Saw some headlights that appeared to be all led.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #63
CarGarage

Drives: 2SS/RS,Wrangler,CTSVcoupe,viper,etc
Give the car more ass and a angry grille
CarGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 AM   #64
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

* * * Sometime in the future * * *

NEWS FLASH - Today Ford proudly debuted their new “Boss of the Road” Boss Mustang. In response, GM opened up a can of Boss Remover™ and unveiled the new Camaro Stealth Annihilator. The Camaro SA has the latest technologies that take it beyond where any muscle car has gone before.

Their new “Snake Wipe” technology has proven effective at removing Cobras, Vipers and other foreign obstacles obstructing their pathway on the track. Smaller, lighter, faster, more fuel efficient than ever before, the new Camaro SA will be sneaking into dealer’s showrooms soon!

Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1a.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1b.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1c.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  52.0 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1d.jpg
Views: 4311
Size:  59.4 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1e.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  68.2 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1f.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  61.0 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1g.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  53.0 KB

This one has taken awhile. When I first sketched it on paper it looked fairly simple and I thought "this should be pretty easy". Boy was I wrong. I really struggled with the shape to get the proportions to look right. It's still missing a few things; no door handle, inside wheel wells, rear diffuser. I'm also planning on doing something with the exhaust pipes besides what's there.

Overall, especially from the front, it has that stealth look I was going for. I can imagine if someone looked in their rear view mirror and saw this coming up behind them their instinct would be to "move over" hehe. The lighting at night would be cool looking too. The headlights and LED running lights would be much brighter than I was able to produce. Having the rear side marker lights at the top edge of the fender would give a black car that 'UFO hovering in the air' look at night if you were following it from behind.

Although it looks ok in lighter colors, especially metallics like silver and gray, it definitely looks best in the darker colors.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #65
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a couple of better snapshots with the lighting on.

Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1h.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  2020 Camaro SA Concept1i.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  54.5 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #66
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Its a hell of a lot better than what I could do

but it looks to much like a Corvette or I even see Acura NSX
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #67
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

You think this latest one looks like a Corvette or Acura NSX??? Wow, I don't see them as being anywhere close to this look.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #68
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

I thought the same exact thing to a "T"! A Corvette/NSX hybrid. The front is long like a Corvette and then the cabin sits pretty much in the center of the chassis, giving the NSXish look. I would like to see the cabin moved back towards the trunk more, but then it would look even more like a Corvette. I don't have any answers here.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #69
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
The last one reminds me of the spy hunter vehicle.
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #70
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I thought the same exact thing to a "T"! A Corvette/NSX hybrid. The front is long like a Corvette and then the cabin sits pretty much in the center of the chassis, giving the NSXish look. I would like to see the cabin moved back towards the trunk more, but then it would look even more like a Corvette. I don't have any answers here.
If a "long front" is what reminds you of a Corvette, then an even longer one would as you say be even more like a Corvette. Not sure why that's such a bad thing.

The cabin is stretched for 4 people which is why the front of the cabin is where it is. I could move the entire cabin back some but then the car starts to look like a Rolls Royce.

It's amazing how rigid the Camaro community is with styling. A long hood with a short rear deck is actually the standard formula for a muscle car. If I do that with this design then people complain it looks like a Corvette which is a muscle/sports car. I can try it just to see what it looks like but it'll be interesting to see what the reaction is.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM