Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-12-2023, 09:30 AM   #1
colsoncj

Drives: 2017 2SS Fifty 6spd NPP
Cam selection with M6, cruise @ 1500-1750 rpm

Looking at some cams, specifically the GPI SS3, maybe SS2, and the BTR 225.

Supporting mods are Ported MSD Intake, Katech 103mm TB, Kooks 1-7/8s, ported heads, springs/lifters/etc...

Curious who on the forum (or vendors) can speak to the driveability with these cams in an M6 car, specifically around 1500-1750 rpms. Since mines an M6, and cant hide surge with a converter... and at highway cruise speeds it sees that range, wondering if it will tolerate cruising or if the surge will be too much and I'll be into 5th gear for highway. Or downsize to SS2? I've also seen GPI do some slight tweaks to the SS3 cam for LS3 customers with a similar concern... maybe an option here as well? Anyone running this and can provide some thoughts?
colsoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
BTR V220.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
Ryfly05

Drives: 22 2SS 1LE
^^^ Yep. Btr 220 or katech torquer. No need to go bigger than those 2 cams unless it's a track only car.

438 whp 411 wtq -SAE- pump gas on mustang dyno.
Ryfly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
colsoncj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
BTR V220.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfly05 View Post
^^^ Yep. Btr 220 or katech torquer. No need to go bigger than those 2 cams unless it's a track only car.
Thanks for the quick responses! Reading more and more, it sounds like BTR is the choice, given their GenV/LT testing/experience/effort with Cams (like not shelling the seats).

My only worry... lot of work going with heads/cam/long tubes - want to make sure I only have to tear into it once for a while

I do want a lopey idle (grew up with old muscle cars, brings back some nostalgia). From what I can gather the 220 still does ok in that regard, and provides enough HP bump (especially with the other mods) to make it worth the effort... agree?
Old 04-12-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
Ryfly05

Drives: 22 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsoncj View Post
Thanks for the quick responses! Reading more and more, it sounds like BTR is the choice, given their GenV/LT testing/experience/effort with Cams (like not shelling the seats).

My only worry... lot of work going with heads/cam/long tubes - want to make sure I only have to tear into it once for a while

I do want a lopey idle (grew up with old muscle cars, brings back some nostalgia). From what I can gather the 220 still does ok in that regard, and provides enough HP bump (especially with the other mods) to make it worth the effort... agree?

Yes. Fwiw, Katech also uses a spintron to develop their cam lobes like btr and are highly regarded around here. I do wish that cam chopped harder though as silly as that sounds.

When I do my cam in the next year or so, it will probably be the btr 220 for almost the exact reasons you listed (do it once, do it right, still have a nice idle sound)

438 whp 411 wtq -SAE- pump gas on mustang dyno.
Ryfly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 02:16 PM   #6
colsoncj

Quote:
Yes. Fwiw, Katech also uses a spintron to develop their cam lobes like btr and are highly regarded around here. I do wish that cam chopped harder though as silly as that sounds.

When I do my cam in the next year or so, it will probably be the btr 220 for almost the exact reasons you listed (do it once, do it right, still have a nice idle sound)
Does Katech have a comparable cam I should be looking at?

I will say I'm a little partial to BTR, primarily because they are only about 45 minutes from my house.

I get the chop.. its one of those little things that make you grin. Side note, also why I'm going down this road. Was originally thinking supercharger, but since they've all but killed the whine, I decided it didn't provide enough grin factor, so to speak.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #7
Judy1le

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:

Im going to vouch for Katech as well. Im working with them and I could not be more pleased. Very informative and answer any/all questions that I have. Zach is awesome. They spintron validate their cams/valvetrain packages and quote 0 failures. Their customer service is superb as well. After some research and speaking with them, it was a no brainer going with Katech and shipping my car from NC is/was well worth it. Buy once, Cry once.

They are pretty active here and may give some insight. You could also give then a call and go over your goals/intentions and theyll get you straight.
Judy1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #8
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I run GPI’s track attack cam and can cruise at 1500rpm no problem. Go with ss2 or ss1 if you don’t wanna mill for compression. Ss3 requires some compression to see the capabilities of the cam.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
It's a matter if you want to deal with the chop for longevity or get the katech that will perform well all across the board and you get a minimal chop sound. It's there it sounds completely different from a FBO E85 car but if you have an ear for it you know its there.

I believe I can deal with my sound for a long time vs the "chop"

The benefits of the katech cam is how the character is between the different exhaust modes.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Both the torquer and the btr220 are great for your application. They will give you a broad torque curve that is not very peaky up top like some of the high rpm, race cams.

The Gen V cars have a lot of drivability knobs to turn, assuming the calibrator you are going through is capable enough. Even the gnarly cams drive great on M6 cars. Both options you stated will do similar things, and achieve your goals
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote