Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Unhappy WARNING adding electrical accessories to your Camaro may void your warranty!

About 2 months ago, when the car was about 3 months old with about 3500 miles on it the TPMS started acting funny. At random times I would get the DIC message "Service Tire Monitor System" and the pressures shown on the display would all be "--". Then about a month ago I couldn't unlock the doors with the remote. Also, none of the other remote functions would work; it was like the remote was dead. I tried the second remote and still got no response. I called OnStar to unlock the doors and the car started fine, the only problem being that the drivers door window was inoperative. After that everything worked fine for a while, except for the TPMS randomly going berserk. In the next 3 weeks the dead remote thing happened 4 more times. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the control module saying that the remote control and TPMS come through the same control box. I had to make two trips as they did not stock this module. This change had no effect. So I was back again yesterday. They asked about the extra electrical connection in the dash fuse box. I told them that was the power source for the Curb Alert. They then supposedly contacted GM and was told that was likely the problem. I told them that the only connection to the vehicle was for power and nothing else. I agreed to let them disconnect it for test purposes. They didn't just disconnect it they removed everything! I was not happy about that. Anyway they said to try it and see if that made a difference. I went out to the car that was sitting in front of the Service Dept entrance and pressed the door unlock button. Nothing happened. The open trunk, remote start, nor the emergency alarm buttons did anything either. The service man told me that opening the door with the key would set off the alarm (which I had found out by myself earlier) but it would shut off when the key was put in the ignition and the car started. They want for me to come back for a fourth time to leave the car for them to work on it. I had some thoughts about what else may be the problem and called the service manager this morning to give him some suggestions. at that time he told me that if any accessories are connected to the electrical system it could, and probably would, void the warranty on some parts of the car that were involved. This would seem to eliminate putting on things like extra lights, active deer repellers, curb sensors, and a myriad of other things. If this is the case, that is a pretty bad policy. If the system is so sensitive that just hanging something else on the battery would void the warranty, something is wrong.

Sorry this is so long, but I thought that it may be important enough to tell the whole story. Any thoughts or other inputs or experiences are welcome, as well as an official opinion from a GM representative. I really hate to do without the Curb Alert. In fact, if what the dealer said is true I may reinstall it with a separate battery of its own.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Adding electrical components to my Camaro may void my what?! I need to know! What have I potentially voided?!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
All you need to do when a dealer brings up anything regarding a voided warranty is the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act.

More info can be read here - http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

Here's the first paragraph of the article:
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE

Unless you directly caused damage to the circuit you added the curb alert power to (shorting, overload with bypassing a fuse etc), adding items within the power rating handling of the electrical system, won't void the warranty.

Sounds like your car has some electrical issues and rather than actually troubleshoot the problem they are looking for an easy scape goat.

Definitely what modbargaims said, you are allowed to mod your vehicle the dealer isn't responsible for damage you caused and they have to prove the changes you made caused the issue.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
trcsr

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
All you need to do when a dealer brings up anything regarding a voided warranty is the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act.

More info can be read here - http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”
ModBargains.com - Thank you, Thank you, Thanks you! I have printed out both of the articles you referenced and will keep them in my car after I get the remote problem solved and the curb alert put back on. The dealer did offer to reinstall the Curb Alert system for me and I may take him up on that as it is getting too cold for me to stand outside and work on the car. I am sure that many other members of this site will be glad to have the information that you presented. You have done a real service to me and possible many others that could run into a similar situation in the future. I guess this shows either how uninformed some service shops are or how much GM will try to get by with in screwing their customers. You have made my holiday a little brighter and I send my best wishes to you and yours for a good holiday. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
trcsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post

Unless you directly caused damage to the circuit you added the curb alert power to (shorting, overload with bypassing a fuse etc), adding items within the power rating handling of the electrical system, won't void the warranty.

Sounds like your car has some electrical issues and rather than actually troubleshoot the problem they are looking for an easy scape goat.
I agree and will continue to press for a solution to this problem, even if they have to replace every damn computer in the car! It was a little irritating yesterday while shopping in the rain after leaving the dealer. I would have to leave my cart of goods sitting at the back of the car while I got in and started it to turn off the alarm, then get wet myself as I put my wet goods into the trunk.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post

that's not quite how it works. the purpose of that is to prevent dealers from forcing you to come to them for fluids, filters, tires, repairs etc. that allows you to buy the stuff yourself wherever you want. however, if you fluck something up putting it on, or you buy the wrong part you will indeed relieve the manufacture of any warranty obligations. it's not a blank check to do whatever you want without any liability.

as for the OP, so long as your stuff or installation didn't cause the problem then they have to cover you, and they will have to prove it. however, something as simple as nicking a wire or two can cause problems.

Last edited by jd10013; 11-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
The only problem with The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is that GM doesn't care.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
trcsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
But it does give you a leg to stand on if they try to get out of something that they are actually responsible for and for which you did nothing to cause the problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Just curious, when you tapped into the fuse box did you use a fuse tap that uses dual fuses or did you just wrap the wire around the fuse and shove it back in? I'm guessing you did it correctly but just wondering. It's puzzling why they found it necessary to remove your entire unit instead of just disconnecting it unless they were under some sort of impression that it could be causing a short.

I have my radar detector hot wired into my fuse box using a fuse tap & will be doing so again when my Proclip smartphone holder/charger shows up in the mail.

Will be interested in finding out how this story ends.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
But it does give you a leg to stand on if they try to get out of something that they are actually responsible for and for which you did nothing to cause the problem.
Legally it does protect you somewhat. The thing is if it came down to it, GM says take it to court, they have many top notch attorneys working for them as well as experts on every component in the car, so you say I will take it to court, so you know retain an attorney who's fees will most likely be higher than the repairs as well as paying for a car you can't use unless you pay for the repairs out of pocket. If you loose in court your expenses don't go away. If you win, the repairs are done under warranty and you still have your expenses and fees. Is it worth it? Depends on how costly the repairs are and even then it's a gamble. GM is betting you will use common sense and pay yourself.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post

All the "After Market " sellers have taken this so out of context, that GM was forced to change the wording in there warranty. GM now uses the wording of any alterations, can and will void your warranty.

The original intent of the wording of after market parts, was meaning OEM spec parts and nothing more than that. For example buying a water pump or starter at NAPA rather than OEM parts from the dealer.

Don't expect any sales person to be honest about this. They only want to sell you parts, then start spouting how your covered and not to worry about it. GM can void any warranty they deem fit, but they can not change the terms of the warranty after the fact.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
plus GM just has to say the car wasn't designed for what you added to it. the MM act was designed to protect you from being forced to bring your car back to them for all repairs and maintenance. it wasn't to allow you to modify your can in any way you see fit. you of course can, but when you do you open that door for them.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
" GM was forced to change the wording - Any alterations can and will avoid warranry"

Were the heck did you read this?? I just read there warranty, and nowhere did it state that. What it did say, if you add something (let's say an Amplifier), and that part goes bad, GM is not responsible if the Amp. goes bad, the manf of the amp is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
plus GM just has to say the car wasn't designed for what you added to it. the MM act was designed to protect you from being forced to bring your car back to them for all repairs and maintenance. it wasn't to allow you to modify your can in any way you see fit. you of course can, but when you do you open that door for them.
He just tapped off of a Supply, If that supply is designed to say handle 10 amps safely, and you have a fuse and drawing less than 10 Amps, then it's well within the design.

Take your Car to a Dealer who's not a Moron
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote