Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #43
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Base 2016 V6 with a 6 speed manual, 5000 miles and love it. I would think the A8 being a different unit than the one in a SS, would be a nice driver. But the bad press over at the corvette forum regarding the A8 and some here regarding the SS models, I would refrain on getting the V8 A8 in either the vette or the Camaro . I also have a 2015 base C7 7 speed manual, I definitely do not regret not even thinking of a A8 when I ordered that car.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #44
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEnthusiast View Post
Thank you for all the responses!

It seems like I will have to test drive the A8 transmission thoroughly if I plan to go with that. I will also have to look into detailed service records to see if it was in the shop for transmission complaints. It will also most likely be helpful to have a pre-purchase inspection completed as well.

The manual definitely seems like the best solution to this, or go-around, so if I don't find a proper A8, I will have to consider an M6. Since I don't know how to drive manual, I will try to find a friend or family member who can teach me lol. But all these issues with the A8 makes me wonder if there are issues with the M6 as well, not as bad but issues are issues. Although I have not seen to many M6 issue posts on the forum. Has anyone had issues with their M6?

It seems as though CR is not very accurate when it comes to newer cars, but more accurate for cars that are 3-4 years old. But that is just an assumption.

I have made a tally chart of those who say A8 and those who say M6 (those who own A8 but are unhappy with it are counted as M6). So far the tally is very close to 50/50.

If anyone hasn't already, please post a reply answering the question I started the thread with. It really does help a lot, and I could not be more appreciated with all this help!
No issues with the manual trans.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
There is also an all new A9 transmission that Ford/GM jointly developed for FWD application. It appears GM is rolling it out very slowly just as it is with the A10, as so far it is showing up only with very limited availability such as their diesel cars. Makes me curious as to why all the caution with making these two new state of the art fuel saving transmissions available. Aside from the possible quality control issues and problems one thing is nearly certain, and that is the more gears in an automatic the more unpleasant and sometimes downright annoying gear searching, and all for the benefit of a slightly better EPA rating. I realize these aren't hand built but let's at least hope for a little more refinement than we seem to have with the A8.
Very simple reason for the slow roll out. It's actually pretty typical. It all has to do with ramping up production at a rate that ensures highest quality. You typically start with vehicles that are all new or undergoing a significant upgrade. It is also usually best to introduce a transmission with one engine family first, then add additional engine families and/or vehicle applications within 6 - 12 months. This one is complicated by the need to coordinate timing and volume with Ford applications.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote