Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Blackwolf666

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Ss mpg question

Hi everyone. I've been getting to find a quick way to help me with my mpg on my 2013 ss and I found out about Ute fuse plugs that reset the fuel map so it performs better on high octane gas. Anyways I did that and I saw my mpg rise from 14 to 19 and I was happy to see that. But now that i filled up the tank again (with hi octane) i saw that it started to go back down to 13-14 mpg. I did the same amount of driving around city and highway. My car has 21k mi auto trans. I'm gonna pull fuses again to see if it changes but is there any ideas as to why it's good on gas to horrible when im not pushing the car hard at all

Thanks
Blackwolf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
You don't have to do the fuse pull just reset the Trip-o-meters more often...I can see where a reset would show higher mileage, and your next fill-up would read lower, that's because the computer is averaging the numbers over an extended period of time...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
TooManyProjects

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
You bought a 400 horsepower v8 car to care about gas mileage?
TooManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
The only time a fuse pull will help or is needed is if you have been running a lower octane and switched to a higher (the proper) octane for the V8 in the SS. Pulling it at any other time should have no effect on your MPG. The fuse pull when going from a lower to higher octane is 'tell' the computer to allow the motor to 'perform' as intended and not to retard the performance due to using a lower octane; it has little to nothing to do with MPG.

Your MPG will differ depending on your driving habits; the greater percentage of city/stop and go driving you do, the lower your MPG will be. Based on what you are stating, I would guess most of your driving is city and heavy traffic versus open interstate/highway, this combined with a heavy foot would make your MPG relatively normal for an SS. Camaros, especially those with V8's, were not designed or intended to get great gas mileage.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf666 View Post
Hi everyone. I've been getting to find a quick way to help me with my mpg on my 2013 ss and I found out about Ute fuse plugs that reset the fuel map so it performs better on high octane gas. Anyways I did that and I saw my mpg rise from 14 to 19 and I was happy to see that. But now that i filled up the tank again (with hi octane) i saw that it started to go back down to 13-14 mpg. I did the same amount of driving around city and highway. My car has 21k mi auto trans. I'm gonna pull fuses again to see if it changes but is there any ideas as to why it's good on gas to horrible when im not pushing the car hard at all

Thanks
If you imagine the term "performs better" indicates an increase in fuel mileage you have been mislead.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyProjects View Post
Some owners are conservative or simply want to see and benefit from a higher mpg car...I could careless about mpg I try to drive mine like I stole it every time I'm in it...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
You don't have to do the fuse pull just reset the Trip-o-meters more often...I can see where a reset would show higher mileage, and your next fill-up would read lower, that's because the computer is averaging the numbers over an extended period of time...
Try this. I reset the average MPG calculator everytime I fill up so I can have a good estimate of how I did with that particular tank of gas. I also reset the A trip so I can tell how far I went between the fill-ups.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Having a car with a small tank and lousy mileage is a pain. I've known someone to buy Ferrari and drive it nicely most of the time. Not everyone drives hard in performance cars all the time. These cars should get good mileage when driven nice.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Having a car with a small tank and lousy mileage is a pain. I've known someone to buy Ferrari and drive it nicely most of the time. Not everyone drives hard in performance cars all the time. These cars should get good mileage when driven nice.
The tank isn't small unless you're comparing it to a truck lol..

But I think what they are trying to say is that if gas mileage was a priority, this probably shouldn't have been the car you chose. At least not a daily driver anyway. When I had intake, longtubes, catback, and tune done, I was averaging 15-17 in the city and 23-25 on the highway cruising at 70-75. I have a manual for reference. If you're babying the car without extensive mods and still getting poor mileage, I suggest taking it somewhere to have it checked. The octane tables aren't the culprit.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
TooManyProjects

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Thats why I have an F150 with a 36 gallon fuel tank.

Why should a " performance car" get good gas mileage? It's called a PERFORMANCE car for a reason. Lower cylinder models are made so people can get the "look" minus the performance, and get better gas mileage

I drive mine nicely the once or twice a week I drive it and sometimes romp on it from 2nd to 3rd and get 18mpg or so. And I can tell you that makes me very happy, as my 350z gets the same milage.

Nobody I know personally goes " Hey man. I just bought this 400+ horsepower car. Man.. I really wish it got better gas mileage"

Why don't they ask? Because they don't want to hear " Uhh so why did you buy it then?" And have no answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
The tank isn't small unless you're comparing it to a truck lol..

But I think what they are trying to say is that if gas mileage was a priority, this probably shouldn't have been the car you chose. At least not a daily driver anyway. When I had intake, longtubes, catback, and tune done, I was averaging 15-17 in the city and 23-25 on the highway cruising at 70-75. I have a manual for reference. If you're babying the car without extensive mods and still getting poor mileage, I suggest taking it somewhere to have it checked. The octane tables aren't the culprit.
I agree. If he is getting 14 mpg. It's 1 of 2 things

1. His right foot
2. Something is genuinely wrong with that car
TooManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
I care about gas mileage... I try to keep it below 10mpg at all times!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
cblades

Drives: 2010 SS
I just bought a 2010 SS with the LS3. Took a trip of 22 miles to work the other day and with easy driving I got 23. Thats all highway and light foot.
cblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
That's what I was thinking as well! I have a manual SS, with a CAI and get about 445 HP. I'm not worried about gas mileage with that motor. Sure, on the highway in 6th gear going easy on the throttle I can get about 24 mpg, but I bought the car for fun. And FUN with this car means a heavy right foot. And that means low gas mileage. Gas mileage isn't the point with an SS. Power and fun are. If you need gas mileage, get yourself a good hybrid or full electric car.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I notice my mileage but it doesn't stop me from driving it the way I like to.

The benefit of having a badass performance car far outweighs the cost to put in the fuel.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, 2ss, fuse pull, gas mileage, mpg