Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
ewoolsey

Drives: Victory Red 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Best cold air intake

I am trying to decide which cai to buy. I want to know which one will give me the most horsepower. Cost is not a factor. I have a 2011 camaro ss 6-speed manual
ewoolsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
LOL.

And certainly no offense to ewoolsey. Just look through the threads in the last three pages or so and you will get an idea, of how passionate people are about the ONE they purchased.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
A LOT to read about CAI's and which one is "best". Here are a couple of threads with a lot of info;

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...07#post1066607

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...64#post2353864

Ted Jannetty did a ton of independent testing at his shop Jannetty Racing Enterprises in Waterbury, CT in those threads and they are well worth thread

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Give this a read. It discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the different intakes available for these cars. Between that and the Jannetty test results you should have all the info you need to make an educated decision.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
2quick

Drives: none
Are you doing any other upgrades to the exhaust? Headers? cat back? Do you want a tune?
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I havent seen a true Cold Air Intake yet for the Gen5s

Most of what Ive seen are systems that have a larger breather head larger pipe that relocate the filter, but none so far are collecting air from totally outside the engine bay area. There isnt much room to pipe your filter where it collects air outside the engine bay. So really your gains are from a larger, less restricted filter than stock, but not cooler air.

Now actually because your still going to breath in air from the engine bay, it will still have the same knock retard issues that your stock filter had. A tuner can reduce some of that factor by decreasing some tables in the IAT.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
Yup agreed, as soon as I can I am going to get this hood. Looks cool and sends the air to the intake. Kind of why I went with Roto Fab, I know there are others that are open or can be open on top. But for the $ (got a killer deal on black Friday) it was the way I went.
Attached Images

ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
If you take the time to read posts from the many that have a Roto-fab intake you will see our customers are very happy with the performance, sound, appearance and ease of installation. This same statement can be made about a few other intakes on the market as well.
If you have any questions about the Roto-fab intake or about all of the options we offer I will be happy to help you. That offer stands before and after the sale.

Check out our customer testimonials and our gallery at roto-fab.com

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Personally, I have been very happy with the RotoFab, gets good results in Ted's independent testing, the fit, finish of the product is great, and the install is very easy to do with very clear instructions. It seals of pretty good against the hood when closed and requires no modification of the w/w rez. like some of the units on the market do.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
And if cost isnt a factor, slap a Super Charger on it with a Roto Fab...!!
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette View Post

Most of what Ive seen are systems that have a larger breather head larger pipe that relocate the filter, but none so far are collecting air from totally outside the engine bay area. There isnt much room to pipe your filter where it collects air outside the engine bay. So really your gains are from a larger, less restricted filter than stock, but not cooler air.

Now actually because your still going to breath in air from the engine bay, it will still have the same knock retard issues that your stock filter had. A tuner can reduce some of that factor by decreasing some tables in the IAT.
I disagree with you there are a couple. Please check out the Vararam for one example. see pics of mine. This is the new model. It gives a noticeable improvement in power over stock.

Last edited by KEEP RT; 10-29-2011 at 02:13 AM.
KEEP RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Unit453

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette View Post

I think Vararam is the closest thing for a true cold air. Afterall, it does feed directly from in front of the radiator stack.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
These numbers speak for themselves.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, cold air intake