Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #239
Hopper
Chevy Lifer

Drives: '13 Caddy ATS, '10 2SS/RS ABM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacojeff View Post
Otherwise:

The 2015 (intro mid-year 2014) Camaro SS will have a 7 cylinder, direct injection, bi-amplified turbo/supercharger, 6 valve per cylinder (GM was going with 5, but Audi and Yamaha had that covered) engine, that runs off of leftover pound puppies and kittens. To extend your driving range, there will be an optional attachment for infeed of miscellaneous roadkill less than 3 kg, this will be mandatory in W.VA to encourage people to use roadkill for fuel instead of food. At first animal rights groups will stage protests, but after a new development results in an increase of 5 miles per kitten (13 miles per puppy), public resistance will be overcome and the technology will prove to be successful... Besides saving $3.7MM per year in animal control cost.
You forgot about Mr. Fusion and the Flux Capaciter!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #240
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
No V-8 would make me sick!
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #241
urbancamarofan

Drives: 2005 Dodge Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
What really needs to be done with all the emotion and energy being wasted on threads complaining about the possibility of V8s disappearing, is using that time, emotion, and energy and direct it at our legislators to repeal some of these absurd (and IMHO un-constitutional) laws such as CAFE standards, etc. If you are upset you need to let your lawmakers know, they work for you and should be doing what their constituents want, not whatever they feel like passing into law. Call, write, email them today and let your voice be heard!
Clyde
You speak the truth here.
urbancamarofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #242
oneinch

Drives: 2002 Ford F150 4WD
I don't really mind the eventual V6 options. I fear changing the car will wind up being what Ford did to the Mustang. It will become a Camaro in name only.
oneinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #243
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Umm...why all this talk of disappearing V8s? Assuming these articles contains any truth at all -- may I remind everyone that they are 'protecting' the platform to accept anything from a NA 4-cylinder to a V8?

Plus, GM is nearly ready to release the DI V8s into their trucks and cars...that engine architecture will still be pretty new by the supposed date of this 6thgen Camaro's release...so I don't see how it would disappear.

And if anybody's met the folks on the Camaro team, you can rest-assured they are performance car people to the CORE. If a meteor struck the Earth and all V8 engines disappeared, these guys would still manage to make a V6 Camaro melt your face off.

I think you're working yourselves into a frenzy over little to nothing.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #244
GTR
Mohawk is the new Mullet

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Send a message via MSN to GTR
LOL @ all this.

If GM can make an engine that can take some serious forced induction abuse (like a 2JZ-GTE can) the problem is solved.

Imagine a slightly smaller engine (maybe a 350ci), all forged internals, with two small turbos that spool really fast (like a 335i). Not only it'd be fast as hell, it'd be reliable, efficient, and it'd pass the tightest regulations. Not to mention how easy it'd be to just turn up the boost and make a helluva monster out of it in seconds.

Dodge did more or less the same with that pathetic excuse of a car Neon and they far exceeded all expectations. So it's not hard. It's just costly. If GM puts their mind into making it cost effective it's doable.

I also agree that it'd be great to have a new one that continues the 4th gen theme, especially if it looks like a LT1. No offense to the LS1 guys, but I don't like the 98-02 front.

Anyone who calls the R35 GT-R a "GTR" is a f***ing moron.
GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:53 AM   #245
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I've heard similar stories... Gonna miss the V8, if this turns out to be the case

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #246
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Well, I also am accustomed to a V8 representing American muscle, but the times are a changin! Just look at fords Ecoboost V6 in the Taurus SHO....I've read that thing is a torque monster. (although I don't think its much easier on the gas sipping than a V8) I've also read they've actually limited its power output....that its capable of more. Anyways, as much as I love the sound of a good V8, IF they could do the V6 right, I'd accept one in an SS model.

That said, I really don't feel that the V8 will go away completely in the next-gen. If anything, I think the Z-28 (or whatever the top performance model will be) will have a V-8.

The good thing from the article is the claim that weight may come down! A couple hundred pounds off would be very sweet!
Well said bro with a CAI, Tune & Boose Controller that big SHO is running mid twelves already for $700-800. I like V8's and ill prob. have one till i die but u gotta love Turbo cars these days
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #247
BlackieRay

Drives: 2002 WS6
I hope the 2014 Camaro is similar styling in a smaller car. I also hope that if GM can't sell the car with a V8, then they design it so you can buy a 'drop-in' V8 package from GM Performance.

All this nonsense about V6s. You can build a V8 to be just as efficient as a V6 at the same horsepower. The difference is, the V8 will have more potential once the mods start.

BTW, vote against any politician who is pro-CAFE. Let them know you are going to do so. Tell them you will encourage everyone else to do so also. It does make a difference.
BlackieRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #248
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Umm...why all this talk of disappearing V8s? Assuming these articles contains any truth at all -- may I remind everyone that they are 'protecting' the platform to accept anything from a NA 4-cylinder to a V8?

Plus, GM is nearly ready to release the DI V8s into their trucks and cars...that engine architecture will still be pretty new by the supposed date of this 6thgen Camaro's release...so I don't see how it would disappear.

And if anybody's met the folks on the Camaro team, you can rest-assured they are performance car people to the CORE. If a meteor struck the Earth and all V8 engines disappeared, these guys would still manage to make a V6 Camaro melt your face off.

I think you're working yourselves into a frenzy over little to nothing.
I agree, I can wait to see what the next gen V8's are capable of. DI should make a great improvement in power and fuel efficiency. Plus, if you don't like A turbo V6 in your SS, just drop a crate engine in it.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #249
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Not to mention how easy it'd be to just turn up the boost and make a helluva monster out of it in seconds.

Any car manufacturer that makes a car that is very easy to greatly increase HP without any iron clad way of voiding warranty will regret it...I think that most have leanrned not to do that by now...am I all for it...hell yeah..but to think it will happen...would be to think GM is dumb...JMO
Look at the Terminators...very easy to add HP then put back to stock...bet that cost Ford a mint..mainly because of shoddy tunes..look at the GT500....they consciously made it harder to mod....they learned their lesson so to speak.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #250
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
Any car manufacturer that makes a car that is very easy to greatly increase HP without any iron clad way of voiding warranty will regret it...I think that most have leanrned not to do that by now...am I all for it...hell yeah..but to think it will happen...would be to think GM is dumb...JMO
Look at the Terminators...very easy to add HP then put back to stock...bet that cost Ford a mint..mainly because of shoddy tunes..look at the GT500....they consciously made it harder to mod....they learned their lesson so to speak.
GM is already doing things like this...the turbo 4 in the Sky Solstice, HHR, and Cobalt is stock rated 260/260. They released a $500 MANUFACTURERs tune...that turned up the power to 280/310 or something like that.

When doing Forced induction...it allows for a LOT of wiggle-room...so it's best to overbuild the engines for growth later on.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #251
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
GM is already doing things like this...the turbo 4 in the Sky Solstice, HHR, and Cobalt is stock rated 260/260. They released a $500 MANUFACTURERs tune...that turned up the power to 280/310 or something like that.

When doing Forced induction...it allows for a LOT of wiggle-room...so it's best to overbuild the engines for growth later on.

True....but they have to be smart about it and be able to tell when non-factory modifications have been made..or at least make modification hard to hide or un do.
Also that "building for growth later on" raises costs...not just for those that choose to mod but for EVERYONE...
My point was if a Camaro came out that all you had to do was turn up the boost via an electronic boost controller and a tune...people are always going to push the limits...if they build the engine and drive train completely bullet proof...where is the cost going to go...it just inst feasible...Camaros would be in Z06 price territory.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #252
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
True....but they have to be smart about it and be able to tell when non-factory modifications have been made..or at least make modification hard to hide or un do.
Not a problem. If the engine explodes and they take it in under a warranty claim -- the dealer can see if the calibration has been modified. In fact, it's one of the things they're expected to check before submitting a claim on engines that are commonly tuned.

My point was if a Camaro came out that all you had to do was turn up the boost via an electronic boost controller and a tune...people are always going to push the limits...if they build the engine and drive train completely bullet proof...where is the cost going to go...it just inst feasible...Camaros would be in Z06 price territory.
No, not completely bullet-proof. I agree. But the same argument can be said about the LS3. All you have to do to make 600hp is slap on a supercharger...they spent time and money developing the LS9 for a reason, but people still mod their LS3s. The same will be true of a TT V6 they put into any performance cars. People will tune them and increase boost pressure...early people will find out exactly how much is too much -- and people afterwards will learn from their mistakes.