Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Video Surveillance System?

So I've been doing some research and planning (as I am an electronics tinkerer) and want to setup an interior video system for "insurance purposes"

I have the idea to mount it on the metal bars of the driver's headrest so it sits over your right shoulder and can see part of the dash and out the windshield. From what I can tell, a GoPro hooked up to a constant USB power supply would do great. There are some methods to have it power on only when you turn your car on - which is my goal with this system.

Anyone else have something similar or have a recommendation?
- Separate Clutch Reservoir

To-Do List
- Solo Performance Axel Back Exhaust
- Headers (Undecided)
- Tune
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
make sure you read everything you can about it. buddy of mine has a gopro, and after a certain amount of time passed, it shut itself off. also, make sure you get a good quality high capacity micro sd card.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
RJTV6A

Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
I recently purchased a PANORAMAII dash camera from the seller shpkorea on that well known auction site.

It is the best. auto record with motion sensor, shock sensor recording, great day recording and one of the best at night video recording. It's available with GPS so you can see location and vehicle speed. When mounted to the windshield you can get both windshield pillars in the video. With a 32gb card it will record a long time. The shock sensor is a bit too sensitive though. The motion sensing start time is less than 1 second (as quick starting as they come)

Overall this is a high end dash camera and the features and video quality prove it's well worth spending the extra to get a good camera.

DO a good bit of research and I'm sure you'll end up with the same camera I have.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

http://dashcamtalk.com/
Dave
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
batman53201
Account not blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTV6A View Post
I recently purchased a PANORAMAII dash camera from the seller shpkorea on that well known auction site.

It is the best. auto record with motion sensor, shock sensor recording, great day recording and one of the best at night video recording. It's available with GPS so you can see location and vehicle speed. When mounted to the windshield you can get both windshield pillars in the video. With a 32gb card it will record a long time. The shock sensor is a bit too sensitive though. The motion sensing start time is less than 1 second (as quick starting as they come)

Overall this is a high end dash camera and the features and video quality prove it's well worth spending the extra to get a good camera.

DO a good bit of research and I'm sure you'll end up with the same camera I have.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

http://dashcamtalk.com/
Dave

how much did yours cost?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
RJTV6A

I paid almost $300 for it.

I bought mine with
32GB card
GPS
Low power cut off

I mounted it in my Traverse and just leave it on. It will automatically start to record when it "see's" motion. There is nothing to ever touch or remember to turn on. It just plain works. If and when there is a incident it records it then I can either play it back on my pc or directly on the built in screen.

I will purchase another one when I have saved up the "mad money" in a few weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Black-Bo...item27d146d608
Old 01-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
batman53201
Account not blocked

Quote:
I paid almost $300 for it.

I bought mine with
32GB card
GPS
Low power cut off

I mounted it in my Traverse and just leave it on. It will automatically start to record when it "see's" motion. There is nothing to ever touch or remember to turn on. It just plain works. If and when there is a incident it records it then I can either play it back on my pc or directly on the built in screen.

I will purchase another one when I have saved up the "mad money" in a few weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Black-Bo...item27d146d608

cool. only reason i asked was because i copied the name of it from your first post, and did a search, and it led me to one that costed over $1100.

$300 is a lot more reasonable

trying to figure out why there are so many different prices offered on his page. lowest being $189
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
RJTV6A

He offers them with or without different options. Read the title of his auctions carefully. He is the only authorized seller of these (at the moment) and will stand by them if any issues arise. I was concerned with him at first so I went to Wally World and bought a pre-paid debit card to buy it with. Thus eliminating the possibility of Credit Card fraud. But hey I'm over protective of my CC#

Don't worry about the Russian instructions.It's so easy to use you will not even need to read them. If they do have any updates they are free to download from the Dashcamtalk site

The best tip I can offer would be to get a GOOD SD card. Not that San Disc junk from Best Buy or Wally World.

If you buy one from the seller in my link you will get a GOOD SD card. Just get one with the 32gb card.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Two words...... Trunk Monkey
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Did you hardwire the power supply through anything?
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
RJTV6A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post
Did you hardwire the power supply through anything?
I did hardwire it to my lights in the roof console. The way I have it, it will power off when the vehicle cuts power after sitting on for 10 minutes. (no worrys of ever having a dead battery after sitting a few days) No biggie for me as sitting parked was not my main concern. I really wanted to record any incidents during my commute. It comes with a nice lighter plug adapter that has a LED lighted red button on the end when there is power to it.

Next time I will not get the one with GPS or the battery cut out thingie.

I will just get the Camera and the 32GB SD card. I see them for $209.00 at the moment.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
batman53201
Account not blocked

Quote:
He offers them with or without different options. Read the title of his auctions carefully. He is the only authorized seller of these (at the moment) and will stand by them if any issues arise. I was concerned with him at first so I went to Wally World and bought a pre-paid debit card to buy it with. Thus eliminating the possibility of Credit Card fraud. But hey I'm over protective of my CC#

Don't worry about the Russian instructions.It's so easy to use you will not even need to read them. If they do have any updates they are free to download from the Dashcamtalk site

The best tip I can offer would be to get a GOOD SD card. Not that San Disc junk from Best Buy or Wally World.

If you buy one from the seller in my link you will get a GOOD SD card. Just get one with the 32gb card.
yeah, i was reading the descriptions and couldnt see anything different.

i already have a few high quality 32 gig card from my contour camera
Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #12
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
After both of my kids were in accidents where their cars were totaled due to other drivers in the last month, I got sick of fighting the others insurance company. I bought and installed the ePrance 1080P Dash Cams in all my cars. I have them hard wired in and constantly on, even when the car is off. You can install them where they automatically start to record when the power comes on. I put 64 GB cards in them and they work great. You can turn the GPS feature off (it will record your speed and location every second) and the audio (records all sounds) off if you like. I left them on so you have a recording of any conversations at the drivers window. ;-)

Just last weekend, some kids poured a can of soup on my sons car when he was with friends at Starbucks. Nothing like having video evidence of the perpetrators.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
batman53201
Account not blocked

i wish they would give the weight of more of these cameras, i would like to use them attached to my drone.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
RJTV6A

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
i wish they would give the weight of more of these cameras, i would like to use them attached to my drone.
Amazon has a bunch of tiny self contained units.

http://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Camer...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Smallest-Camer...d_bxgy_p_img_z

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=502394

Just be sure to read the reviews before purchasing. Some are just downright bad.