Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
15 thousand miles in 9 months. No complaints here. One of the best cars I have owned.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #16
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
1. The car seems to stiff for daily usage.
Get non run flats and the ride will be much smoother.
2. Throttle lag
Ok maybe a small one but hey just stomp on it.
3. The horrible visibility
Other sports cars are also not better. Doesn’t bother me much.
4. Unusable rear seats
It’s a sports car. I sit in front for the rest I don’t care.
5. The trunk is for looks
It’s a sports car. For the small grosery is enough.
6. Lack of forward collision sensor
That’s true. Should have one.
7. Passaenger side view mirror auto dim
That would be great.
I don’t know if I would by a Camaro for a daily.
well said

I love everything about my 2SS.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I am not disputing your dissatisfaction with those items you mentioned. They certainly bother you enough to detail them in a public forum. What puzzles me is that every one of those items is something you could have easily evaluated pro or con before you purchased the vehicle. Heck, you did not even need to test drive it before you could evaluate the trunk and the rear seat.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrookie View Post
Hello I have officially crossed the 10k mile marker driving this car and would like to share some of the quirks i have with this car mainly to geto get it off my chest and see if others are feeling the same way.
Nope, sorry, love the car!

Now I don't live in the harshest of roads but when i drive around town I tend to drive 5-10 mph under because i find the ride a bit too stiff over the bumps in this car. I typically use sport mode and i am acutely aware that touring has a softer ride but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.
Then at least turn the mag ride to tour, it gets fairly mushy in tour.

2. Throttle lag
Some of you may have notices, but when you step on the peddle softly the car doesn't seem to move, but when i start to put the peddle down there is a noticable amount of power being sent to the rear wheels and as someone who daily drives this car, i wish it was a but bit more gradual. I did not notice this at first but after watching youtube videos about the camaro it became noticable and a little bothersome.
I’m driving the ZL1 that has the infamous bog built in, and even that’s no big deal

God forbid I don't use the back up camera and i run the risk of hitting something (or someone) because the rear windshield visibility is only a slither of glass that sits high above the rear end of the car. Also the lack of blind spots mainly from the c pillar of the car doesn't help anyone either because you cannot really gauge the vehicles proximity unless using the side mirrors. This makes it troublesome for someone who daily's his camaro and when the camera is a bit dirty, reversing becomes a chore.
That’s one of it cool character traits, if you want more visibility, drive a truck for your daily!

4. Unusable rear seats
Why did GM even bother with making this car a 2+2 if the only thing i can comfortably seat in the back is a flower pot? I have sat in the back of other sports coupes that all shared the same leg room problems, but never the issues of headspace. Couple those two issues and you go from seating a paraplegic, to nothing but unopened mail because seating is not an option for more than 1 passenger.
Makes for a good coat and hat storage area, never bought this car as a sedan anyway.

Now it was in the middle of the summer I had tried to put a small cooler into the trunk of the vehicle but to no avail. The trunk itself is pretty deep but fitting things like suitcases, coolers, and computers are not meant to be stowed away in the camaros trunk. The width will force you to use the rear benches or the passenger seat.
I’m actually impressed with the fold down rear seats, you can get a lot in there.

6. Lack of forward collision sensors
For a vehicle with a long bonnet you would think that there may be a censor or two. The censor would not need to below the bowtie, but maybe under the front lip or on the corners of the front bumper would help people who are getting used to the vehicle and parallel parking it it. Not to mention that this vehicle is low and i had a scare one time when my vehicle lurched after stalling it. This car is low and parking by curbs can be an issue if you are not used to the vehicles dimensions.
This one, I agree with, would have been nice.

7. Passenger side view mirror doesn't auto dim.
I like the fact that the car has a dimming rearview mirror and driver side mirror, but the lack of the dim feature for the passenger side triggers my slight ocd. The glare from that mirror still hits you when your driving at night and someone is tailgating you even though the other two are doing their jobs. I find it odd that the mirror isn't equipped as its driver side counterpart.
Same here, would have been nice, I’m sure it was cost savings.

With the above being said, I do not hate this vehicle, but after spending some time with it, i have identified some quirks. If you feel some of the issues bother you as well and you have found ways to get by them, please share!
You’ve made a fair list, but the same can be said for any vehicle, quirks and all, I don’t see myself ever selling this car, I’ve never had anything quite like it.
But for the record, a daily a 2002 dodge dakota sport, so none of the above comments apply
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I don't take my Camaro stargazing, so visibility is not an issue for me.

buying an impractical car comes with....
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Let's calm down a bit everyone, the guy wasn't complaining, he is just sharing his perceived problem spots, which is the very method of incremental improvement. Also, he is asking for feedback and potential tips to alleviate these minor sores. All these comments along the lines of "he should've evaluated all this before buying the car", "he should've bought a minivan/sedan", "someone like this shouldn't drive a performance car" are uncalled for. I do understand everyone has a right to express their opinions, all I'm saying is exercising it in certain ways isn't exactly helpful or edifying.

OP, I'm not sure if these can be "fixed" per se, as some of them are somewhat inherent to the well-known design of the car. Here's what I think or would do, though:

Switch to non-runflat tires.

2. Throttle lag
A minor initial dead travel is a good thing IMO, it prevents too much lurching if you hit a pothole and accidentally give the go pedal a nudge. You can connect a throttle controller to eliminate it, or you can have the lag tuned out if you really hate it (of course the warranty goes bye-bye with the latter, but not the former).

If you adjust the side mirrors properly, the blind spots are what become a slither. The rear camera needs to be kept clean.

With all mirrors adjusted, I don't think backing up with the Camaro is substantially more difficult than with any other vehicles I have driven. Rear visibility in the SUV my wife drives is equally poor, these cars aren't made of glass and we all need to learn a vehicle's dimensions for parking.

Cleaning the read windshield is a major PITA, I'm going to ask my 7-year old to do it for me next time or I'll buy some window cleaning stick from amazon that takes a microfiber towel.

4. Unusable rear seats
They are perfect for kids and uncomfortable, but usable for taking sub-6' adults on relatively short trips (done that several times and there were no complaints). Also perfect for groceries or boxes. Much better than nothing IMO.

The headroom problem is due to the car's body lines, if the shape were adjusted to eliminate it, the car would look like the Mustang or necessarily be the tank that the Challenger is. Smaller adjustments would be possible in a future model, but anyone over 6' 1 or 2" would still have issues IMO. This is a "gotta deal with it", not exactly secret, easy to discover during a test drive kind of thing, though.

The opening is indeed small, but the amount of available room itself isn't too bad, especially if you fold down the rear seats. Perhaps a future redesign will come with split taillights, which would fix the trunk opening.

Agreed if you meant a forward camera plus sensors just like in the rear. It's a useful but totally non-essential item to help with curbs, and was probably not included due to cost cutting.

Gen5DIY has an aftermarket front camera solution that fully integrates with the HMI, so you get a camera icon on the infotainment screen, parking lines, turns off automatically after 30 seconds etc.

This was a petty cost-saving move from GM, an annoyance we have to live with unfortunately.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #21
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
For those who think we have huge blind spots adjust your mirrors. We just bough a 2019 Camry for my wife and the first time I drove it I realized it has bigger blinds spots than my Camaro. The huge headrests in the back seat block out 50% of the view when you turn your head for lane changes. We both have blind spot monitors so no worries. Also her top of the line Camry does not have memory seats or steering wheel heater so you could complain about any car. A. I didn't buy it for hauling kids around, B. I didn't buy it to stuff the trunk C. I bought it for sport suspension not for the lack of. D. I bought it to slam myself into turns and have fun. So enjoy.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
The throttle lag is definitely an annoyance in daily driving, lol. Pretty sure the computer is pulling timing on every gear change, even the M6... Even if I jam the pedal 1/4 - 3/4 way down immediately after a gear change, it's doggy. If I wait an extra little bit, or am otherwise in the same gear with same RPM, it doesn't fall on its face, lol.

I should look into a cable operated throttle conversion, lol.

Definitely wish GM hadn't cheaped out on the passenger mirror, lol.

Ride is good, unless you hammer a pothole, though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #23
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Hello I have officially crossed the 10k mile marker driving this car and would like to share some of the quirks i have with this car mainly to geto get it off my chest and see if others are feeling the same way.

2. Throttle lag

4. Unusable rear seats

With the above being said, I do not hate this vehicle, but after spending some time with it, i have identified some quirks. If you feel some of the issues bother you as well and you have found ways to get by them, please share!
Nice post and good discussion. I have had mine since March 2018, it's been covered since Thanksgiving, and I only put 2800 miles on it in Year One, but these are my thoughts:

Totally agree with all your points except for #2 and #7 - neither of those bother me a bit. Additional comments:

#1 - the car is too stiff on the public roads, even in with the MRC in Tour Mode. Maybe I just got spoiled with my M235i in Comfort mode, which was a MUCH better ride. The stiff side bolsters in the 1LE Recaros literally hurt my kidneys when bouncing over rough stretches of road.

#3 - normal driving and looking forward, there are minimal visibility issues other than the wider than usual A pillars. But backing up is pretty much impossible without using the camera. First time I took the car to a cruise night, I was backing into a spot next to another guy who was being helpful by guiding me into the spot. He stood directly behind me and was motioning with his hand. The problem was that I could not see his hand at all in the slit of the rear window, and the sun was glaring on the camera so I couldn't see that either! I had to stop, get out, and ask him to stand by the side so I could see him in the outside mirrors.

#5 - found out that it's a struggle to get 1 set of golf clubs in the trunk. The bag has to be kitty corner, and I have to take the driver out of the bag and carry it inside the car because it's too long.

My other nitpick would be the center storage console. It's almost impossible to open when you're in the car, and the miniscule amount of storage it provides is ridiculous. It's hard to believe they actually tested this thing with someone sitting in the seat, and said, "yes, this is good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Let's calm down a bit everyone, the guy wasn't complaining, he is just sharing his perceived problem spots, which is the very method of incremental improvement. Also, he is asking for feedback and potential tips to alleviate these minor sores. All these comments along the lines of "he should've evaluated all this before buying the car", "he should've bought a minivan/sedan", "someone like this shouldn't drive a performance car" are uncalled for. I do understand everyone has a right to express their opinions, all I'm saying is exercising it in certain ways isn't exactly helpful or edifying.
Totally agree with arpad_m. I'm sure the OP knew what he was getting into for the most part, and so did I. For me, these things are more or less nitpicks, since I love this car more than any other I have ever owned in my life. It's awesome and badass and kicks butt and is worth every penny. But that doesn't mean it has no flaws or compromises.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #24
HCGxKaLiBeR

Drives: 2018 Audi S4/2016 Carmaro 2SS
A sports car should behave like a sports car. No complain about stiff ride, poor practicality.

Everything is perfect, but I got three complains....

1. Fuel saving gimmicks - AFM lifters, AFM valves, skip shift (for manual), etc.
I don't care about MPG, that's why I bought a V8.
V4 mode makes all kind of weird ticking noises. Car switches between loud and quiet too often.

We are not able to turn them off. We had to spend money on plug-ins or tunes to disable them.

2. More fuel saving BS - Transmission lugging at low RPM.
Affects throttle response.
Makes all kind of weird noises and vibrations when lugging.

Drive mode doesn't affect shift RPM under normal driving. I had to drive it in manual mode using paddle shifters.

3. The noises and rattles.
Dashboard, GPS screen, door speaker, rear folding seats. NPP valves, injectors, lifters, etc
Interior wise is live-able. A firm press of the plastic pieces here and there fixes most of the rattles for a while.
Main offender here is the engine injectors/lifter noises. Ticks loud when the transmission is lugging.

I'm able to get around all these three issues by tune the AFM off, unplug the NPP fuse, use manual mode often.
But why we have to do these in the first place?
Old 01-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #25
Chevyrookie

Drives: 2017 2SS 6mt
I would like to thank everyone for taking their time and sharing their feedback on this post. Again I am not bashing this car, the day i sell it will be the same day i buy a zl1. I am glad others have shared some of the same quirks I have with this car and I am aware that most of these are typical amongst all sports cars. I will admit that spending too much time in my buddy's megacab has got me thinking that there are some features i wish this car would have but you cannot compare apples to oranges.

One feature that i have excluded from the list that is probably the nost frustating feautre exclusive to the manual car is the 1-4 skip shift. I left that out because its not a secret amongst the camaro6 community that people dislike it but i have grown accustomed to getting around it and even find it rather helpful when i don't want to launch while in traffic.

The visibility will never go away and that's what makes this car so annoying yet I wouldn't have it any other way (unless i get another vehicle besides the camaro of course).
Chevyrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #26
Chevyrookie

Drives: 2017 2SS 6mt
Also is this just me, but when i sit in my car after turning it off after 1-2 minutes i hear a sound like someone is knocking on the window? Where is that noise coming from?
Chevyrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
5th gen owner here.only one complaint.my previous car was a 2006 solstice.at 75 you felt like you were flying.even at 110 i feel like im sitting on a quiet comfy couch in this car.i have to use cruise control cause my right foot got no control...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #28
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:

Now I don't live in the harshest of roads but when i drive around town I tend to drive 5-10 mph under because i find the ride a bit too stiff over the bumps in this car. I typically use sport mode and i am acutely aware that touring has a softer ride but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

2. Throttle lag
Some of you may have notices, but when you step on the peddle softly the car doesn't seem to move, but when i start to put the peddle down there is a noticable amount of power being sent to the rear wheels and as someone who daily drives this car, i wish it was a but bit more gradual. I did not notice this at first but after watching youtube videos about the camaro it became noticable and a little bothersome.

God forbid I don't use the back up camera and i run the risk of hitting something (or someone) because the rear windshield visibility is only a slither of glass that sits high above the rear end of the car. Also the lack of blind spots mainly from the c pillar of the car doesn't help anyone either because you cannot really gauge the vehicles proximity unless using the side mirrors. This makes it troublesome for someone who daily's his camaro and when the camera is a bit dirty, reversing becomes a chore.

4. Unusable rear seats
Why did GM even bother with making this car a 2+2 if the only thing i can comfortably seat in the back is a flower pot? I have sat in the back of other sports coupes that all shared the same leg room problems, but never the issues of headspace. Couple those two issues and you go from seating a paraplegic, to nothing but unopened mail because seating is not an option for more than 1 passenger.

Now it was in the middle of the summer I had tried to put a small cooler into the trunk of the vehicle but to no avail. The trunk itself is pretty deep but fitting things like suitcases, coolers, and computers are not meant to be stowed away in the camaros trunk. The width will force you to use the rear benches or the passenger seat.

For a vehicle with a long bonnet you would think that there may be a censor or two. The censor would not need to below the bowtie, but maybe under the front lip or on the corners of the front bumper would help people who are getting used to the vehicle and parallel parking it it. Not to mention that this vehicle is low and i had a scare one time when my vehicle lurched after stalling it. This car is low and parking by curbs can be an issue if you are not used to the vehicles dimensions.

I like the fact that the car has a dimming rearview mirror and driver side mirror, but the lack of the dim feature for the passenger side triggers my slight ocd. The glare from that mirror still hits you when your driving at night and someone is tailgating you even though the other two are doing their jobs. I find it odd that the mirror isn't equipped as its driver side counterpart.

1.) This one is very subjective. My previous car was an M3 with Ohlin coil-overs, my 1LE is smooth as glass compared to that car. 120 in comfort mode is very anti-dramatic, in my M3 it was kidney rattling. I think the MRC is AMAZING. The SS 1LE is a verifiable sports car and I expect no less. It goes with the territory and the main reason I choose it.

2.) I don't notice any lag, what I don't like is the mapping. Sport is good, but I like to drive in Sport 1 within Track Mode, and track mode isn't ideal for daily driving in traffic. It would have been nice to be able to de-couple this like the rest of the settings.

3.) As others have said, adjust your mirrors properly, there are no blind spots. You should not be able to see the rear side of your car with the mirrors adjusted properly.

4.) While not sedan big, they fit a purpose and are better than not having rear seats in there at all. Maybe not super comfortable, but you can fit under 6 FT. adults back there for short distances and as a daily driver and my only car it is much valued over a true 2-seater.

5.) Agreed on the opening, but the truck itself is big. It works for grocery shopping, I don't transport much else.

6.) This I completely agree with, this car should come standard with a front camera , or at the very least sensors with an audible beep warning system.

7.) This bothered me too at first, makes no sense to do one but not the other, so from that view point I agree. HOWEVER, going back to #3, with your mirrors adjusted properly, it really is not needed because the mirrors should be pointed out enough to not have headlights behind you in the field of vision.

Regarding the noise you hear after turning the car off after a min. or so from the rear as if someone is knocking on it, yes I have that too. I have no clue what it is, but it has startled me a few times.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote