Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #15
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
My car has been perfect.... NO issues...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I've had my car since March 2016, I'm now over 18,000 miles with no huge issues.

I have squeaking in my exhaust when I let off on the accelerator (afm valves or npp valves?), the car has a rough shift from 1st to 2nd under light acceleration some of the time (I don't think there's a fix), though I usually punch it under normal driving conditions and that avoids the lunging, and some rear end groan since I've owned it. I haven't had the rear end looked at as I don't know if there's really a good fix. Some people have had their rear end flushed a few times and it comes back, some people have had good luck with just that and it goes away. It's very mild and only when the rear end is cold. My MyLink has frozen a few times, but recovered after the car has been shutoff and turned back on. Could just be software glitch. Overall I've been extremely happy. The car has treated me well and I get a lot of compliments.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #17
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
After 27 months and 20k daily driven miles

- A8 shudder. New TC at 10k miles and performs flawlessly (so far) at 20k
- Leaking right, rear mag ride shock at 10k miles
- Dead battery twice within two weeks. Jump started and taken to dealer who never found a source but its hasn't happened again in the five months since.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Moral of the story - stay away from 1st year introduction models (14 for C7, 16 for 6th gen) and the A8 has a bad reputation in all its applications, including the trucks (I have a 2017 that has an A8, but so far its ok).
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #19
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
2017 2SS here with about 30K on it to include a fair amount of track days...no issues with anything.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #20
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Compared to my 5th Gen (2012 45th Anniv.) the 2017 is about the same. At first I felt that the 6h gen was more reliable as my 2012 was a POS. Unfortunately I've been plagued with Transmission and rear end issues on my 6th gen from about 1700 miles to current.

Right now it's in the shop of a trans leak. There was a puddle under the car one morning last week and the dealer is telling me they can't find a leak. I'm beginning to hate this car.....
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
Among the A8 issue, I've also heard several people had the rear axles fail...someone care to chime in on that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I kinda have to disagree with this, sorry.

I'm not going to say 6th Gens are trash, they are wonderful cars..but they do have their hurdles.. some seem to experience alot more grief than others as well...

Along with the A8 Shudder:

There's some who have the rear end issue which can literally grenade without warning due to some improperly torqued bolts from the manufacture

There's some like myself who randomly lose power steering and GM hasn't made an official TSB for the issue - my car has been out of commission for the entire month of July because of this and I still have no feedback as to what they're going to do (this has been escalated way up to GM and the BBB as well.)

There are some who experience interior temperature sensor issues with the climate control of which causes the climate control to blow cold air when its freezing outside even with the dial set to maximum temperature.

Some experience issues with the heated seats.

There is also an issue where the car will shift very hard into first gear for no reason under light to moderate acceleration - this occurs randomly and there is a TSB & fix for it if the dealership is willing to take your word on the issue happening.

In summary, if you're looking for something more reliable than a C7, I doubt you're going to find that in a 6th Gen.. Its by the same manufacture and same drive-train for the most part.
The rear end itself is very robust. Basically no real failures. The axle shafts have two things: revised bolts to the axle housing end and nuts at the hubend that can be loose. New axle bolts - no issue. Re-torque the axle nut with thread locker - no issue.

The other stuff you speak of, I cannot comment on much.

My ‘16 SS M6 with a bit over 18k miles had zero reliability issues. I only had a freak issue of my ECT sensor wire sever.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #23
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
I wasn't worried about my 2010 warranty running out, can't say the same about my 2016. Transmission getting worse and I don't have time to take it to the shop. Traveling all month and the a/c went out in my truck, so fingers crossed.
Same feeling here, that my Stingray couldn't live without an extended warranty, I don't trust this car is getting closer to my prior piece of junk, a '02 Porsche Carrera. I got rid of that car like it had leper. Never looked back. On the contrary my prior '14 Camaro ZL1 was flawless (what a big mistake I did of trading it for the Stingray ) also my '11 Mustang GT only had to replace the alternator under warranty (even that I tracked the car hard) and my '05 Infiniti G35 coupe was a jewel compared to them.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #24
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs down

Somebody wanted to know about the issues with my Corvette, here they go:
At 30K suddenly overheated during a traffic jam, immediately stopped the car and tow it to a local dealer. Water pump and electrical fan replaced under warranty, car was at dealership for about a week. This happened on my first day of vacations, have to drive back 4 hours away from home to pick up the dam car.
Premature wear of rotors and pads at just 30k miles, have to order them.
At 33K miles during an oil service, we also reported for repair:
Long time starting of the car when car is cold (in Summer season)
Slight metallic sound randomly coming from the engine compartment.
Homelink stooped working.
Radio became crazy, skipping up some USB songs and failing to connect stock Pandora application.
Right vanity mirror hinge broken.
Detached rubber at the rear hatch.
The final diagnostic from the strange noise coming from the engine compartment is a failure of the AFM system (which changes the V8 to V4 for saving gas), engine heads removed, lifters to be replaced. Another dam week in a shop.
The Stingray is beautiful, performs great but doesn't have the right quality control.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #25
Crawdog450

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I lemon lawed a brand new 2015 Z06. Incredible amount of issues. My 2018 ZL1 1LE so far is solid with some brutal track days in the SoCal heat. Time will tell ....
Crawdog450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Somebody wanted to know about the issues with my Corvette, here they go:
At 30K suddenly overheated during a traffic jam, immediately stopped the car and tow it to a local dealer. Water pump and electrical fan replaced under warranty, car was at dealership for about a week. This happened on my first day of vacations, have to drive back 4 hours away from home to pick up the dam car.
Premature wear of rotors and pads at just 30k miles, have to order them.
At 33K miles during an oil service, we also reported for repair:
Long time starting of the car when car is cold (in Summer season)
Slight metallic sound randomly coming from the engine compartment.
Homelink stooped working.
Radio became crazy, skipping up some USB songs and failing to connect stock Pandora application.
Right vanity mirror hinge broken.
Detached rubber at the rear hatch.
The final diagnostic from the strange noise coming from the engine compartment is a failure of the AFM system (which changes the V8 to V4 for saving gas), engine heads removed, lifters to be replaced. Another dam week in a shop.
The Stingray is beautiful, performs great but doesn't have the right quality control.
Thanks for posting this. Seems you've had unusually bad luck with that car. Can't blame you for being frustrated. Looks like your C7 fell within the year range (2014-2016) that were known to have engine / overheating issues on some cars:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-c7-today.html

My gen 6 is still under 5k miles so it's too early to tell, but I'm confident in its long term reliability. No problems so far.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
Bosse'sBoss

Thanks for sharing, interesting article about the new GDI valve carbon deposit risk with the new LT1 engines
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 07-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #28
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
My opinion is the engine is rock solid never had one issue with it.

The rest of the car is suspect. Shudder as many others commented then a TC replaced to finally fix it.
NPP exhaust still rattles like a tin can but I won’t pull the fuse as that defeats the purpose for me.
Convertible top ripped out the back interior panel when it the slide decided to not slide out of the way.
Car play works 30 percent of the time. Other times it charges my phone but doesn’t recognize it.

Many have an issue with the front windshield fogging up and mine does too but nothing bad enough to fix.

Rear end groans during winter during the first few turns until warmed up.

I would not buy it again. However, the 10spped auto resolves the biggest complaint I have about this car so a 19 may be fine.

I’m not sure what category I would put all this in other than “not what I expected”
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote