Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #29
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Got rid of it on my GTO and 5th gen. It always seemed to get me when I was leaving a light behind a line of cars. I'd shift early and get blocked.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Keep in mind, the 1 to 4 skip shift impacts the EPA certification so somebody will eventually make that tampering illegal.
And I thank the engineers who came up with the CAGS with all of my heart, as it helps avoid the Gas Guzzler Tax at purchase.

CAGS has been around since 1989, and the bypass harness has been around almost as long. If the EPA hasn't caught on by now they're exactly the clueless dopes we the thought they were.

Also, it actually only affects the pollution output and fuel consumption at the exact moment and parameters the CAGS engages (or doesn't engage if the bypass is installed).

Such an operation would never influence your car's readings at the emission testing station, unlike VW's diesel cheat which actively tampered with the inherent emission operations to show a different reading than what actually was taking place.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #31
MattDinOC

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
It always seemed to get me when I was leaving a light behind a line of cars. I'd shift early and get blocked.
This. Every time. I had that harness installed within the first couple days of ownership, and now I can drive how I please. Different stories from different drivers due to different driving styles I suppose...
3000 - 08/18/16 | TPW 09/05 - 08/23/16
3100 - 08/30/16 | TPW 09/12 - 08/30/16
3400 - 09/06/16 | TPW 09/05 - 09/06/16
3800 - 09/15/16 | 4200 - 09/20/16
6000 - 09/29/16 - on Camaro's 50th Birthday!
MattDinOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #32
Colt_H

Drives: 2017 2SS - MRC, NPP, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Some people hate knowing it's even there.

I, like you mentioned, rarely ever noticed it because I drove in a way that didn't trigger the function.

But it's such an easy thing to buy and install, I did it...$25.00 and 5 minutes.

Ironically thought, I've caught myself shifting from 1st into 4th on my own!

Do you by chance have any clear instructions with how to install it? I have one now, but haven't installed it (1. can't get my car lifted enough to fit under it and 2. I've heard that it's easy to attach it to the reverse plug instead of the skip shift plug)
Colt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt_H View Post
Do you by chance have any clear instructions with how to install it? I have one now, but haven't installed it (1. can't get my car lifted enough to fit under it and 2. I've heard that it's easy to attach it to the reverse plug instead of the skip shift plug)
I could dig up the instructions...but I don't know if things are all in the same place on the Gen 6 as the Gen 5...where did you buy it? Did it not come with instructions from that retailer?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #34
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I did mine in my garage. I have ramps, so got the front end high enough for me to get on my back to do it. The passenger side of the transmission tunnel is a bit tight fit to get my hand up there, but it was easy to unclip the existing connector. Putting in the CAGS eliminator it was easy to plug the harness into the lower connector, but the one up top it was a B*tch to get it properly lined up to push it back in for me. I was able to do it with a long blade screw driver. Whole thing took me maybe 15 minutes. There was a how to thread in the forum I found that helped.

I see the shift light most every time I take the car out too, so I really wanted this mod.

And I also am glad GM came up with CAGS to get around the gas guzzler tax!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #35
Colt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I did mine in my garage. I have ramps, so got the front end high enough for me to get on my back to do it. The passenger side of the transmission tunnel is a bit tight fit to get my hand up there, but it was easy to unclip the existing connector. Putting in the CAGS eliminator it was easy to plug the harness into the lower connector, but the one up top it was a B*tch to get it properly lined up to push it back in for me. I was able to do it with a long blade screw driver. Whole thing took me maybe 15 minutes. There was a how to thread in the forum I found that helped.

I see the shift light most every time I take the car out too, so I really wanted this mod.

And I also am glad GM came up with CAGS to get around the gas guzzler tax!
Do you have that helpful thread handy by chance? Mine came with a few useless words of instructions - and I want to make sure I get the right plug.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #36
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
LOL, I remember doing the CAGS on my 98 Vette, as it was really annoying. When I test drove a 2017 SS, I didn't even know the skip shift mechanism was still in place, thought Chevy eliminated it. Maybe will need to get rid of it if it becomes bothersome.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #37
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Yea so the autos have 4 cylinders cut out to save gas and the M6s have CAGS to save gas. But In all honestly has anyone ever even calculated and seen an increase in gas mileage with the CAGS? ! It's gotta be just a gimmick to get out of the gas guzzler tax.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #38
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver16ss View Post
Yea so the autos have 4 cylinders cut out to save gas and the M6s have CAGS to save gas. But In all honestly has anyone ever even calculated and seen an increase in gas mileage with the CAGS? ! It's gotta be just a gimmick to get out of the gas guzzler tax.
Yeah I don't know how they calculate fuel economy for federal testing, but in real world driving I don't think a CAGS or eliminated CAGS makes any difference in real world fuel economy.

I will bite my lip before going on about that certain government agency that directs these tests and how I think it's great that a certain someone who was just elected might want to eliminate said certain agency or at least trim it down.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #39
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Let's hope so !
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #40
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Installation was very straightforward, but getting the top connector lined up correctly was a bit difficult due to limited clearance between the transmission & the transmission tunnel. I used a long blade screwdriver to help push it in the correct alignment, then it pushed right in.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...inator+install

Last edited by BrianL; 12-02-2016 at 09:28 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
Colt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Installation wan very straightforward, but getting the top connector lined up correctly was a bit difficult due to limited clearance between the transmission & the transmission tunnel. I used a long blade screwdriver to help push it in the correct alignment, then it pushed right in.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...inator+install

Thanks so much!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #42
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
it was easy to plug the harness into the lower connector, but the one up top it was a B*tch to get it properly lined up to push it back in for me
+1 on this for me too, installed the eliminator in 2nd month of ownership, getting the plug inserted on the 6 gen was a PIA as there is no room to work.

I used a long handled 90 degree pick tool. Probably would not have been possible for me without that tool
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote