Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Hotwheel1004

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Camaro
Paint Finish on Hot Wheels Camaro

I want to take a minute and say HI! I am new here, and just bought my 2013 Hot Wheels Camaro(6/27/14). It had 91 miles on it, and never sold last year. The car is AWSOME! but a little over priced for the package. I have the 2SS package, with the 6.2 L99 engine.
Now I would like to get right to the reason I am posting this. The finish is course. I am not sure if it's suppose to be smooth like glass, or this course feeling. The salesman who sold me the car, didn't even know there was such a car until I told him exactly what I was looking for. It took a week to be delivered. When I pointed out the course finish, he said that's because of the metal flake in the paint, but I can't believe that. I have even called GM for assistance, and to my surprise, they don't have a clue either. So, what I am looking for is an answer from some one who owns a Hot Wheels Camaro, or some one who is" IN THE KNOW", as to the paint finish. The dealer wants me to bring my Camaro to have clear coat protective put on, but I don't want it, till I know for sure if the finish is suppose to be smooth or course.
I will thank you up front for any advise or information that will help me.
Hotwheel1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Of course it's suppose to be smooth ... It's been sitting on a lot for two years, and needs to washed, clayed and waxed. With a little TLC it can be made right ...
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Of course it's suppose to be smooth ... It's been sitting on a lot for two years, and needs to washed, clayed and waxed. With a little TLC it can be made right ...

^ This
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Hit it with a polisher and some surf city garage beyond clay followed by a nice coat of wax do that once a month and I could slide a micro fiber towel across the hood with no effort it's so smooth.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
BLU_BY_U

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition 2SS
Smooth paint, rough stripe. :-)
BLU_BY_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Yep. Clay her. AMMONYC on youtube if you need help
Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Hotwheel1004

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Camaro
I knew I came to the right place. Thanks all of you. I will sleep better tonight. Looks like this weekend will be a BRIGHTER time. I am glad I joined the site.
Hotwheel1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Just don't polish the stripes. There is a special protectant to use...someone will stripes will chime in to help. But yea - you are better doing it yourself.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Trailnut

Drives: '15 Colorado, '73 C/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU_BY_U View Post
Smooth paint, rough stripe. :-)
That Blue is awesome!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
TopFuelTim

Drives: 2002
black or blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheel1004 View Post
I want to take a minute and say HI! I am new here, and just bought my 2013 Hot Wheels Camaro(6/27/14). It had 91 miles on it, and never sold last year. The car is AWSOME! but a little over priced for the package. I have the 2SS package, with the 6.2 L99 engine.
Now I would like to get right to the reason I am posting this. The finish is course. I am not sure if it's suppose to be smooth like glass, or this course feeling. The salesman who sold me the car, didn't even know there was such a car until I told him exactly what I was looking for. It took a week to be delivered. When I pointed out the course finish, he said that's because of the metal flake in the paint, but I can't believe that. I have even called GM for assistance, and to my surprise, they don't have a clue either. So, what I am looking for is an answer from some one who owns a Hot Wheels Camaro, or some one who is" IN THE KNOW", as to the paint finish. The dealer wants me to bring my Camaro to have clear coat protective put on, but I don't want it, till I know for sure if the finish is suppose to be smooth or course.
I will thank you up front for any advise or information that will help me.
Are you asking about the blue paint or the flat black stripe on the car?

The blue on my wife's Hot Wheels is smooth and glossy as expected, and the flat black stripe is about as smooth as sandpaper.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
wash twice, clay bar then your choice of sealant. for the stripes, call a tint place in your area and ask what the use to protect vinyl stripes. I have some but am far to lazy to walk my butt out to my car care crate and look. I just did this before the holiday weekend and my paint looked wet and the car was as smooth as butter. now its covered in finger prints from all the kids yelling look mommy, its BUMBLEBEE! and they run up to pet it haha
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Paint is crap on these cars , Take your dealer up on the clear coat . cant hurt , get use to swirls and scratches, And I am the only one who washes my car, 2 bucket system , foam gun 3 micro mitts one for the top , one for the bottom and one for the wheels and borderless micro towels and scratches still appear , Real pain in the you know what to keep the paint flawless , GM Better do something for the 6th gen or I aint buying
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13umble13ee View Post
... for the stripes, call a tint place in your area and ask what the use to protect vinyl stripes
Like paint, there are a number of options for vinyl. Personally, I find Adams SVRT is good for a satin look or if you need to even the finish (e.g. remove water spots). I use Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte detail spray/sealant for my weekly wash though since I prefer the matte finish. The CG stuff is also cheaper and less work to apply, IMO.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Follow this step by step guide and you will be right as rain. The car sounds like it needs a good claying, and iron removal from sitting as long as it did. After that you will need to polish away any swirls, and then seal that perfect paint job!! Good luck man.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307114