Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Which is the better option for me?
4 Cylinder Turbo 29 38.67%
V6 46 61.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Should I get the 4cyl or V6?

Back in 2009, I pre-ordered my 2010 Camaro and got it at 19 years old. It was a V6 2LT/RS in ABM with black leather interior and sunroof. I was absolutely in love with it.

However, it was a bit of an impulse decision and I couldn't really afford it after I had been mis-quoted on the insurance. I had to trade it in 2 months later and I've missed it dearly ever since. :(

I'll be turning 25 in August and I'll be graduating college next May (I changed my major a few times/took time off). I'm in a little bit of a better financial position than I was back then (and I'll be making more money once I graduate) and I desperately want a 2016 in Hyper Blue Metallic.

I definitely want to get a model this time that is a bit cheaper, so I'm thinking of settling for a 1LT/RS (leather is not a necessity for me this time around).

However, I've been seeing a lot of people saying that the turbo 4 cylinder might be a better option than shelling out the extra money for the V6. Keep in mind, this car will be my daily driver.

Any thoughts on the 4 cylinder vs. the V6?
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I'm just here for the, 2 pages before you know it. Planning on modding?
Old 06-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Get two 4 cyl. engines and put them together in a "V" configuration.

Just kidding. I think you should just drive each one when they are available and decide which you like best.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Back in 2009, I pre-ordered my 2010 Camaro and got it at 19 years old. It was a V6 2LT/RS in ABM with black leather interior and sunroof. I was absolutely in love with it.

However, it was a bit of an impulse decision and I couldn't really afford it after I had been mis-quoted on the insurance. I had to trade it in 2 months later and I've missed it dearly ever since. :(

I'll be turning 25 in August and I'll be graduating college next May (I changed my major a few times/took time off). I'm in a little bit of a better financial position than I was back then (and I'll be making more money once I graduate) and I desperately want a 2016 in Hyper Blue Metallic.

I definitely want to get a model this time that is a bit cheaper, so I'm thinking of settling for a 1LT/RS (leather is not a necessity for me this time around).

However, I've been seeing a lot of people saying that the turbo 4 cylinder might be a better option than shelling out the extra money for the V6. Keep in mind, this car will be my daily driver.

Any thoughts on the 4 cylinder vs. the V6?
i'll play the game. What major are you graduating with? Are you sure you will be making more money after you graduate? Do you have that better paying job already lined up? These and other questions need to be asked before you make another impulse buy.

If the financial picture looks good for the purchase, which you buy should be the one that makes you feel the best when driving it. It's that easy.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Buy used till you get on your feet
Old 06-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
i'll play the game. What major are you graduating with? Are you sure you will be making more money after you graduate? Do you have that better paying job already lined up? These and other questions need to be asked before you make another impulse buy.

If the financial picture looks good for the purchase, which you buy should be the one that makes you feel the best when driving it. It's that easy.
Global Business Management is my major. I work for my friend's company, and I'll be getting a significant raise upon getting my Bachelor's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I'm just here for the, 2 pages before you know it. Planning on modding?
No plans for modding.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
If you have no plans for extensive modding, i would get the v6
Old 06-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
titanfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Global Business Management is my major. I work for my friend's company, and I'll be getting a significant raise upon getting my Bachelor's.

No plans for modding.
Why would you get a raise for getting a degree? Are you suddenly going to become smarter or better at your job after walking across the stage? Giving someone a raise just for obtaining a degree does not seem like a very smart business decision on your friend's part.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
I think the Turbo Four is going to be a fun car. With a zero to sixty time "well below six seconds" you're getting a lot for your money. That's what I'm thinking about, but wait a year or so, I think there are some other options coming. All Wheel Drive, probably a Twin Turbo V6 I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by BigRedViking; 06-07-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: correction
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Considering your situation, I would go with the Turbo-4. Can't hurt to save money, and you will still have the look of the Camaro (that satisfying feeling when you approach your parked car to get in it and drive somewhere) and the Fabulous interior too.

If it was a 4-cylinder like they use in Honda Civics, or something like that, then for real I would say the V6...but the Turbo-4 will be NO JOKE and definitely quick enough to get you out of your own way when trying to merge into traffic, etc...

Maybe you can't race Vette's with it, but that's not why you're buying it either.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedViking View Post
I think the Turbo Four is going to be a fun car. With a zero to sixty time "well below five seconds" you're getting a lot for your money. That's what I'm thinking about, but wait a year or so, I think there are some other options coming. All Wheel Drive, probably a Twin Turbo V6 I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Well below six seconds...not five.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
Ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Why would you get a raise for getting a degree? Are you suddenly going to become smarter or better at your job after walking across the stage? Giving someone a raise just for obtaining a degree does not seem like a very smart business decision on your friend's part.
I'm in a sales position and I get a base pay and make commission. He basically promised me that once I graduate, he will raise my base pay because he doesn't want me to leave the company. I'm already in a better financial position than I was when I got my first Camaro 6 years ago.

So more advice on the 4 cylinder vs. V6 and less telling me not to buy a Camaro please.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Is the sound of the car important to you? The V6 with NPP sounds fantastic but the T4 will not sound great in any circumstance imo. Since you won't be modding the T4 only has a price advantage for you. Definitely drive both to see if it is worth it to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
titanfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm in a sales position and I get a base pay and make commission. He basically promised me that once I graduate, he will raise my base pay because he doesn't want me to leave the company. I'm already in a better financial position than I was when I got my first Camaro 6 years ago.

So more advice on the 4 cylinder vs. V6 and less telling me not to buy a Camaro please.
I've been in corporate sales for 19 years. I have no college degree and started as a temp doing data entry. I have been in a sales leadership position for the last 15 years and hold a VP position in a fortune 50 company. Please help me understand, what the degree brings to the table that is going to make you a better performer in your current position than you already are? From where I sit, if you are good at what you do and I want to retain your services, I will offer you that raise whether you have a degree or not. A college degree does not equal a better employee or ensure any increase in production, in my experience.

How much did you spend to get the degree? Is the raise you are getting going to cover the cost of the education it seems you felt was required in order to get it?