Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
THe Z/28 is a flop. Is it awesome? Yes! Is it a practical car to buy as your daily driver? As your only car? No. It's a track car. The ZL1, the 1LE, and the Stingray are better options.
Please tell me how a Vette is a better and more practical daily driver than a Z/28.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS

Last edited by Front Runner; 05-29-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
RSZ

Drives: 2014 Z/28 Blk. #374 A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
If you can find one for $60K let me know...if you don't want to buy it! I have been looking on and off for a couple months, and now that my deal for a GT350 fell through I am looking harder! There is a '14 that has been sitting on a dealer lot within 150 miles of me since new. They won't budge on price...except for GM incentives.
http://www.fiatusaofevanston.com/use...dcae7ac3b8.htm
RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
jlwdvm

Drives: 17 GT350R, 13Boss302,15 Z/28
If only it was Red...or maybe gray! I'm gonna track the car, but I need AC too. Cars with CD player will also have AC too...correct?
jlwdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
If I knew 20% plus a $2k rebate was likely to come back this winter, I'd put the ZL1 up for sale. Heck, I've considered it any way - go to the dark side for a GT350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
If you look on Ebay ...
How do you search? I search "Camaro." I see 13 total, lowest priced at $62.5k.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
Amen to that!!!
And that is how rare cars are born Johnny!
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Used?
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC

New?

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...ion&sf2Dir=ASC
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #21
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Yeah, there's one under 400 miles. I looked there. Guy above stated there are several under 100 miles at good prices (on ebay), I thought I might have been missing something in the search of ebay.

I wasn't in a position to buy a Z/28 in December, I had money tied up that I wasn't going to access. Hard to sell a ZL1 conv. in Dec. and dealers were chomping at the bit, offering $32-$35k. No way was I taking near 50% loss in 16 months. I still like the ZL1, just want to move to a track car.

I might wait 'til this fall and pick up a used, full on, fully caged, not nearly as fast, true race car. They go pretty cheap - wouldn't feel stretched to sell any of my current toys, either.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
That's just it. At that price and what I think I might get for the ZL1, There's a $21k difference, after tax, etc.

I can easily get a full on (albeit slower) full on race car for under $10k pretty easy. Last fall, I could have picked up a Focus that, it's entire life, was as a race car with less than 3,000 miles for under $5k. There was also a 944 for under $10k and the seller had about $50k into it, along with an entire drive train of spares. These are not one in a life time deals. These are very common prices around here. Many of the cars sold around here are bought by Canadians and raced north of the boarder.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #23
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Please tell me how a Vette is a better and more practical daily driver than a Z/28.
Seriously? You really asked that question?

Vette gets better mileage, has a lower cost of ownership,(can we say tires) is more comfortable with more creature features and costs less.

The Stingray beats it in every way except for what the Z/28 was DESIGNED for which is the track.

The Z/28 is not a practical daily driver.

Edit, one other thing, the Vette (not that I would ever choose it if given an option) comes in with an available Automatic as well.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #24
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
A stereo ,air-conditioning, nicer interior, and tires you can drive with if it rains.
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #25
Front Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Seriously? You really asked that question?

Vette gets better mileage, has a lower cost of ownership,(can we say tires) is more comfortable with more creature features and costs less.

The Stingray beats it in every way except for what the Z/28 was DESIGNED for which is the track.

The Z/28 is not a practical daily driver.

Edit, one other thing, the Vette (not that I would ever choose it if given an option) comes in with an available Automatic as well.
Yep, I asked.

I've owned two Vettes and they are much harder to get in and out of, have less useable interior space, are much more cramped and can only transport two people max.

Yes, it does get better mileage on the highway. City mileage is not that far apart.

I'll give it to you on tires, expect most Z/28 owners who daily drive or drive their cars more than just total track usage, will replace the Trofeos with other performance tires that are well rounded.

Creature comforts/options, yes the Vette has more of them but they are not a necessity for daily driving. Yeah, they give the owner more gadgets/infotainment gismos but they don't make or break a car for daily driving. Some owners want more do-dads, some don't. Nothing wrong with either choice. Just a matter of personal preference.

As stated, we all know the Z/28 was DESIGNED for the track but lets not forget that it's still a STREET LEGAL car and can be used as such.

It's all a matter or owner/driver preference, but to say that its not a practical daily driver while in the same breath saying the Vette is, doesn't make sense.

I'm a huge Vette fan. Have owned 2 and they're great cars even though I can't fit in the C7 comfortably.

All a matter of opinion......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
A stereo ,air-conditioning, nicer interior, and tires you can drive with if it rains.
Stereo - Z/28 has one (if so optioned)

AC - same as above

Vette Interior is nicer, but the Z/28 and all other Gen5 Camaros have nice interior. The Z/28's interior is just like the interior of any other Gen5 with a few expectations. I like the interior of the C7 & C6 Vettes but I also like the interior of the Gen5 which by being a 4 seater, provides more functionality for daily usage.

Tires - I'll concede on that one. Trofeos aren't well rounded for all usage.

Not trying to jack this thread. Here's a thread about the Z/28 being a DD.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383262

Last edited by Front Runner; 05-29-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #26
Front Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSZ View Post
in perspective: In 1965 the Ford Mustang came out with an MSRP of around $2475. That is roughly $19,000 in today's dollars based on a 4.1 % rate of inflation.

The 1965 Shelby GT350 was priced at $5375. That is roughly $40,800 in today dollars. Was the Shelby worth twice as much as a std. issue Fastback with a hi-po? Well apparently not.

The Shelby did not sell. It was not a value proposition. They sat on lots forever. So much so that the remaining 1965's in production were converted to 1966 models. They are now referred to as "carry over cars". Was it a flop? Hardly. But at the time most would consider it so.

Were they a value? Not hardly. Did they garnere publicity and further Ford's marketing effort in the performance arena? Yes and in a big way with SCCA.

While they took 50 years to be appreciated by collectors and revered by historians, the marketing genius at that time in history, allowed for us to enjoy what we have now. And it launched a new era in Ford Performance with the Cobra and GT40 programs.

Great performance competition by the big 3. It may not make financial or practical sense for most people, but the people who see the car for what it is and was intended to be are very grateful.

I am thankful for the history and grateful that I am able to enjoy mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
Amen to that!!!
+2

Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
These prices are excellent!

I should drive over to Evanston tomorrow
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #28
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
These prices are excellent!

I should drive over to Evanston tomorrow

Might want to call on that one to make sure it wasn't sold. CARFAX showing a lien with new owner beginning of April.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote