Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Top Tier gas stations

I noticed ARCO is listed as a top tier now, on top tier website.
Should i trust ARCO, or keep using chevron,shell, 76, and mobil

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
ARCO
BP
Chevron
Conoco
Costco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Express Convenience Centers
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Scheirl Oil
Shell
SuperAmerica
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
my Camaro runs like ass on Arco and Shell.. I get only about 180 miles out of a tank compared to 260 with Chevron, Mobil, and 76..

it also knocks and pings like hell, my Chrysler 300c (5.7L) and my Avalanche (5.3L) also had the same issues..

surprisingly my wife Camry Hybrid doesn't have the same issue (but then again it's a 4-banger low compression POS Toyota)

Also in SoCal, so take that for what its worth.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
my Camaro runs like ass on Arco and Shell.. I get only about 180 miles out of a tank compared to 260 with Chevron, Mobil, and 76..

it also knocks and pings like hell, my Chrysler 300c (5.7L) and my Avalanche (5.3L) also had the same issues..

surprisingly my wife Camry Hybrid doesn't have the same issue (but then again it's a 4-banger low compression POS Toyota)

Also in SoCal, so take that for what its worth.
Yeah I strictly only use 76 and chevron
just noticed this and wondered if arco had redeemed itself by making top tier status. thanks for the input.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Arco is Venezuelan I believe
There are a few company that are the same on the list.

Sent from the desert.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
ive never had any issues with shell. i mainly use shell, sunoco and exxonmobil

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
we use top tier mfa / breaktime 87 with no ethanol and no problems. Actually had water in some gas from Phillips 66 last year last time we used that station. Our Shell stations dropped the Shell logo and now sell no name. Have never used any E85 in our Tahoe, don't like ethanol and its absorbtion of water.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
ive never had any issues with shell. i mainly use shell, sunoco and exxonmobil
Damn, I love your 60th Anny paint scheme. My all time favorite convertible paint job.

Don't have Arco here. Costco's 93 TT works great in my modded LS3 and worked great in my Mazdaspeed3 at 116hp/L DI, turbo 4. (Do the math on specific output of your Camaro). And that will tell you, you don't really need to be too picky about gas in Camaro V8.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Arco is Venezuelan I believe
Nahhhh....you're thinking of Citco. Atlantic Richfield is American.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
indeed you are right!

from wiki
Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) is an American oil company with operations in the United States as well as in Indonesia, the North Sea, and the South China Sea.[1] It has more than 1,300 gas stations in the western part of the United States.[2] ARCO was originally formed by the merger of East Coast–based Atlantic Refining and California-based Richfield Oil Corporation in 1966. A subsequent merger in 1969 brought in Sinclair Oil Corporation.[1] It became a subsidiary of UK-based BP in 2000 through its BP West Coast Products LLC (BPWCP) affiliate.[3] On August 13, 2012, it was announced [4] that Tesoro would purchase ARCO and its refinery for $2.5 billion. However, the deal has come under fire due to increasing fuel prices, with numerous activists urging state and federal regulators to block the sale due to concerns that it would reduce competition and could lead to higher fuel prices at ARCO stations (ARCO stations make up more than half of all stations with the lowest fuel prices in California).[5] On June 3, 2013,[6] BP sold ARCO and the Carson Refinery to Tesoro for $2.5 billion. BP sold its Southern California terminals (Vinvale, Colton, San Diego, Hathaway, and Hynes) to Tesoro Logistics LP, including the Carson Storage Facility. BP will continue to own the ampm brand and sell it to Tesoro for Southern California, Arizona, and Nevada. BP exclusively licensed the ARCO rights from Tesoro for Northern California, Oregon, and Washington.
ARCO is known for its low-priced gasoline compared to other national brands, mainly due to an early 1980s decision to emphasize cost cutting (cash/debit-only policy) and alternative sources of income (ampm). ARCO is headquartered in La Palma, California
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I use Kroger and have had absolutely no issues at all in eight months of ownership. When will everyone realize that all gas stations get their deliveries from the 'same' vendors.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
I use Kroger and have had absolutely no issues at all in eight months of ownership. When will everyone realize that all gas stations get their deliveries from the 'same' vendors.
From the Top Tier Website:
The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness.

Not all "vendors" are the same. You may run fine for years, but the intention of the detergent is to keep your engine running clean.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
I've been running Sunoco thinking it was on the Top Tier list, but it is not. I may have to switch to Exxon/Mobile then....
7/11 stores used to sell Citgo years ago, does anyone know what they have now?

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCamOwner View Post
From the Top Tier Website:
The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness.

Not all "vendors" are the same. You may run fine for years, but the intention of the detergent is to keep your engine running clean.

as P.T Barnum said, there's one born every minute. gas is gas. it all comes from the same wholesalers. Follow a gas truck around sometime, you'll be surprised how it stops at the shell station, then the Exxon, then the quickie mart etc. stations are independently owned, and can buy their gas from any wholesaler they like. and more times than not go with the best deal. and if you really believe that a QT of additives has any impact on 8,000 gallons of gas then I have some lovely swamp land in Arizona I think would be perfect for you.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
BMTGIE

Drives: 2014 RRM SS/ 2011 Black LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
as P.T Barnum said, there's one born every minute. gas is gas. it all comes from the same wholesalers. Follow a gas truck around sometime, you'll be surprised how it stops at the shell station, then the Exxon, then the quickie mart etc. stations are independently owned, and can buy their gas from any wholesaler they like. and more times than not go with the best deal. and if you really believe that a QT of additives has any impact on 8,000 gallons of gas then I have some lovely swamp land in Arizona I think would be perfect for you.
Exactly.

You'll be suprise how many brands use the same gas. Comes off a main pipeline then branch off to the companies individual pipeline, then to their terminal.

I work for a major petrochemical plant.
BMTGIE is offline   Reply With Quote