Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #71
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone580 View Post
You know what I think I've seen you around LA, that hellcat engine bay looks so familiar! Were you at the Mopar car show at Balboa Park? I had my 70 AMC rebel machine at the event.

I noticed in you're other thread you live in Burbank, I'm in Valencia. I swear I've seen you around before at a car event or two.

I'm all for a good dialogue my friend, but you have to admit this is what you're 3rd thread? After while it gets very repetitive with no end in sight.

I won't start another thread....at least not about this!

I wasn't at the Mopar show. I just moved to LA last October, so I've barely been anywhere. I brought the Hellcat Charger to Bob's Big Boy a few times and I'll be at the Killer Cars show in Marina Dell Rey (Killer Shrimp sponsor) on Aug 27th.

There's so many shows, meets and cruises here...it's pretty overwhelming, but I love the car culture to be sure.

I'm going to wait for Spring before making a final move, but I may opt to keep the Cat and add the ZL1. I rarely keep cars for more than a year or two, but the Hellcat is a real joy to own. I suspect I may like the ZL1 as much or more. No doubt it will be huge fun at Angeles Crest.

Cheers...

R
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #72
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
All the points you raise illustrate that the ZL1 1LE is not for you and never was.

The ZL1 1LE is a track monster first and foremost. You do not want a sunroof on something you will track as you will lose what little headroom you have when you wear a helmet.

2nd point - you don't want the aero, I can understand that. I was the same way until I saw 2 in person at the Fest. The rear wing is fine, the front canards I wish were modular/removable.

3. if you have no backseats, for insurance reasons your car gets classified as a sports car and you pay MORE.

4.Meh..

You have a 6th gen ZL1 A10, its a great car, be happy with that. Peace Out.
Pal, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to get a ZL1 1LE. I have said that multiple times throughout this forum in case you missed it. You don't have to tell me to "be happy" with my ZL1 A10 because I am more than happy with it thanks anyway. And don't sit here telling me that it isn't for me and never was. Trust me, if I wanted one, you would see it in my profile pic. I know full well about how much a sunroof impacts handling so you're not pointing out anything that I nor everyone else in this thread didn't already know. The fact of the matter is, I don't care how well it handles. No sunroof, I ain't interested. Plain and simple. And with this particular car, no way no how was I picking the M6 trans over the A10 no matter what handling it came with. With all that said I think the 1LE is awesome. But I do not envy it, I don't care to buy one, and it doesn't make me feel any less about my regular ole ZL1, lol!! If I want, I could mod the suspension to improve the handling even better than it is now which is already more than what I need.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #73
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
**citation needed. Actual facts, dates, times, names, configurations on the Camaro ZL1 platform. I've seen some incidents of trans wonkyness, but they're isolated and not anywhere near pervasive like the C7 Z06 A8s.

The simple fact the you compared heat soak on C7 Corvette with an A8 and small frontal area to an A10 Camaro with huge frontal area, more heat exchanging systems, etc. shows you're full of conjecture and speculation on the topic.
I agree. I would be surprised if the A10 ZL1 overheated. It should be available on the ZL1 1LE.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #74
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
I won't start another thread....at least not about this!

I wasn't at the Mopar show. I just moved to LA last October, so I've barely been anywhere. I brought the Hellcat Charger to Bob's Big Boy a few times and I'll be at the Killer Cars show in Marina Dell Rey (Killer Shrimp sponsor) on Aug 27th.

There's so many shows, meets and cruises here...it's pretty overwhelming, but I love the car culture to be sure.

I'm going to wait for Spring before making a final move, but I may opt to keep the Cat and add the ZL1. I rarely keep cars for more than a year or two, but the Hellcat is a real joy to own. I suspect I may like the ZL1 as much or more. No doubt it will be huge fun at Angeles Crest.

Cheers...

R
I would advise that you keep the HC and add the ZL1 to your arsenal based on the things you have said. The ZL1 is a complete joy to drive and I'm sure once you get one you'll love it. The way it drives by far outweighs the negatives. And after driving it, I think you'll start to pick out a few things you dislike about the HC. But the same with the HC, the benefits of driving it by far outweigh the negatives. Consider the ZL1 as a a roomier Corvette with a back seat that outperforms the more expensive (some trim levels) Stingray almost keeps up with the much more expensive Z06, stays cooler than the Z06 around a track, has all the features of the 1SS and 2SS, outperforms both (1SS and 2SS) including the 1SS 1LE in every category, and does everything well. It is a great car!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #75
mrbhutch

Drives: Audis currently
If you're still considering the Huracan, look at an R8 instead. WAY more headroom!
mrbhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #76
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbhutch View Post
If you're still considering the Huracan, look at an R8 instead. WAY more headroom!

I've driven the R8 and it's just not a car I enjoyed. I'm also not a fan of the R8 looks and that's a big problem at that price point. I feel the same way about the Porsche 911 variants. I've driven them and they're great cars, but few designs bore me more. Here in LA it seems like every 3rd car is a Porsche. I have total respect for ANY of these cars, but good lord the ZL1 1LE just looks very special compared to a lot of other cars out there.

R.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #77
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I would advise that you keep the HC and add the ZL1 to your arsenal based on the things you have said. The ZL1 is a complete joy to drive and I'm sure once you get one you'll love it. The way it drives by far outweighs the negatives. And after driving it, I think you'll start to pick out a few things you dislike about the HC. But the same with the HC, the benefits of driving it by far outweigh the negatives. Consider the ZL1 as a a roomier Corvette with a back seat that outperforms the more expensive (some trim levels) Stingray almost keeps up with the much more expensive Z06, stays cooler than the Z06 around a track, has all the features of the 1SS and 2SS, outperforms both (1SS and 2SS) including the 1SS 1LE in every category, and does everything well. It is a great car!

I have to see if keeping the big Cat makes sense. I do have a nice new Mercedes GLC300 SUV for family stuff. In a few weeks I'll be driving out to Vegas...that's a trip that's ideal for the comfy Hellcat.
I think I need about 11 cars. My kid wants me to get another Wrangler and I have to admit that the Jeep was big fun in a different way of course.

R
Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #78
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Then why tune it? all he had to do is rerun the lap with out any tuning of the trans, all i am saying there is a reason why no new ZL1LE in an A10, you guys want it, i get that, so make your own out of the ZL1 that the best way, or buy the ZL1LE and take it to one of the big guys and have an A10 put it in, its not that hard.

I know i am Not 100% like my car, and will be adding CCB to the car next year as soon as this year is done.
Whoa Whoa Whoa there. Where are you getting this mis-information you're spreading. No tuning was done on the trans.

Randy (a professional that can tell) felt that the tire pressures were off on the a10 car. No tuning of the trans or car was done in any way. They just adjusted tire pressures till he felt like the car was where it should be.
If he didn't have the same complaint about the m6, that means he didn't feel that the tire pressures were off.

Quoteage from motor trend.
To be fair, Randy felt the tires’ pressures weren’t set correctly, and that the abuse meted out through Turn 8 was heating the driver’s side front too much, causing understeer through terrible Turn 9 . The 10-speed should be quicker than the six-speed, but it just wasn’t happening.

Randy strongly felt there were some tenths left in the automatic ZL1. He worked with a couple of engineers from Chevy and kept adjusting tire pressures and lapping. The result? An unofficial lap time of 1:25.87, recorded on the ZL1’s optional Performance Data Recorder (PDR).
End Quotage....

If Chevy had happened to provide the cars with optimal tire pressures to begin with, we wouldn't have to rehash this crap every other week. The 10 speed was faster around the ring (we have to take Al's word for this since no m6 time was released). And a professional driver took two cars and put down amazing lap times in each at Big Willow. We mere mortals given the chance to take each for 10 laps wouldn't be able to match his times, and I'd wager we'd see larger disparities in times than his laps (he's pretty consistent).
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #79
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
So is all of this back and forth bitching about not having an automatic transmission in the ZL1 1LE? For god's sake people, IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE STICK OR DON'T WANT TO DRIVE STICK THEN YOU AREN'T GETTING ONE. We cannot control Chevy's decision to put what transmission where. No sense in bitching now. A fast driver will get within a second of each other at most tracks no matter trans.

There's two crowds, those who drive stick and those who don't. What I unfortunately find is the auto guys are a bunch of justifiers and the stick guys love to rub the "more manly" option in the others' faces.

Chill out. Go put a coat of wax on your car or something.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #80
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
My issue is with those incorrectly exclaiming that the auto trans has track issues and are pervasive and are comparing it directly to another platform.

I can drive a stick just fine. That's not my issue at all. I'm not even pushing for the 1LE to come with an auto. It doesn't, ok, fine..

My sole issue is with stopping the incorrect regurgitation of invalid data regarding a transmission option that is perfectly fine on a track.

It's just getting a little old with stick jockeys acting like their pee pee is going to get smaller if an auto trans is better or just as good as their "man pedal"
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #81
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
My issue is with those incorrectly exclaiming that the auto trans has track issues and are pervasive and are comparing it directly to another platform.

I can drive a stick just fine. That's not my issue at all. I'm not even pushing for the 1LE to come with an auto. It doesn't, ok, fine..

My sole issue is with stopping the incorrect regurgitation of invalid data regarding a transmission option that is perfectly fine on a track.

It's just getting a little old with stick jockeys acting like their pee pee is going to get smaller if an auto trans is better or just as good as their "man pedal"

LOL....I was talking to a buddy about my issue with transmissions. He has a smashed ankle and can't even drive stick anymore. He knows my foot hurts like hell. His response when I said I'd like a 1LE with the A10? "Man up, dude!"

Look, I'm a pro sailor. I can sail a 100 foot boat single handed. But somewhere there's a guy who can knit a beautiful sweater in 2 days. Who's more of a man? Answer: Neither!

As I get older and these autos get better, it's pretty awesome to have the option of a great car that can handle bad traffic without causing me physical pain. That's the bottom line and there's no sensible argument against it.

And for the record, CHEVY AGREES WITH ME. Now we'll see what my options are when I'm ready to make the move (after holidays), but I'm guessing I'll end up happy in the end.

PS: I did some hunting around and there's ZERO evidence that the A10 causes any kind of cooling problems vs. the M6. Frankly, we'd be hearing it big time by now, so that's just bad info.

R.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #82
pwells18

Drives: 2017 zl1 conv 6 sp- '18 trackhawk
just read this thread- Op wants a bespoke chevy..lmao-eom
pwells18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #83
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
There's good dialogue going on. Why can't you handle it? Don't read the thread, if it bothers you. Cars are for FUN, dude!

In the last 30 months I bought a Charger SRT 392, Charger Hellcat, VW Beetle ragtop(!), Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, Mercedes GLC 300...and now I'm shopping for a great handling car.

Here's the 392 engine we did up for local shows....followed by the current Hellcat...
OMG those tacky old man shite mods...

You are perfect candidate for a base LS V6 LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................

Last edited by iPODFAN11; 08-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #84
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Whoa....what a feisty thread
Attached Images

nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote