Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2022, 10:23 PM   #1
jesse121pm

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th anniversary
Upgrades

Hi I purchased a 2012 2ss 45th anniversary. It has 92k miles which i've put 15,000 miles since purchased. I am getting a ticking noise from the engine bay and it sounds like a lifter. I was wondering what would be the upgrades to go with the lifters just to make it more reliable. Also was wondering if there was any links to the specific parts you guys would reccomend. I will put the video of the tick in here if I can. I was just wondering what you would reccomend to get changed while im in there and how much you think it would cost labor to get said things done. Thank you very much.
jesse121pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:31 AM   #2
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Figure out a budget then add another 50% also think hard on what you want in performance.

To replace the lifters the heads need to come off.

List that I would replace upgrade... *Requires a tune if you replace cam and or headers.

Heads ported and rebuilt - Texas Speed (lots of other great shops out there)
Dual valve springs Ti retainers - BTR

You can replace parts with stock or upgrade with:

Lifters - Johnson #2126LSR
Rocker arm bushings - CHE
Pushrods, BTR one piece 5/16" x 0.080"
*Cam - BTR Stage 2 or 3, Cam Motion
Timing chain - GM LSA
Timing chain gears - BTR
Timing chain guide - GM ls2
Oil Pump - Melling
Harmonic balancer - GM or upgrade ATI
Belts - GM, Goodyear, Gates
Spark Plugs - NGK Iridium
Plug wires - MSD, Taylor
Plug Wire heat protectors sleeves -
Cold air intake - Roto-Fab
*Headers long tube - Kooks

Everyone has mfc's they like I am just listing some common ones. Also price for rebuild depends on where you take the car to be worked on here in Seattle GM charges $170.00 an hour. If you can pull the engine yourself and drop it off at a macine shop it would cost less. Also you can purchase a long or short block Texas Speed lists allot of options.

Look at suppliers for costs, Summit, Jegs, Tick, LSX, BTR and Texas Speed to name a few...

ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES MADE AFTER PULLING THE HEADS OFF THE ENGINE IS NOT PROPERLY CLEANING AND INSTALLING THE GROUND WIRES WHEN REINSTALLING THEM!

Last edited by Vicster; 08-28-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Just go to GPI website, they make it super simple. They offer kits to get all your needed parts and offer OEM up to the best aftermarket parts. Do your research, and shop around.

Here is a thread outlining a cam swap. Even if you aren't doing it yourself, it lists the parts and shows most:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:36 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Not sure you need to rebuild the entire engine but definitely need a top end kit for sure. You didn't day weather it's a ls3 or l99, but I'm going to assume that it is an l99 with the afm (active fuel management) or dod (displacement on demand) where it shuts off the 4 cylinders to conserve fuel mileage and that's where your problem lies. Just in case you don't know there are 8 lifters in there that collapse when it goes to 4-cylinder mode and those lifters fail pretty commonly so, to get the engine more reliable most people just do a cam swap and replace all the lifters with the regular type. Then they go get the afm junk disabled with a tune and depending on what cam you pick you could gain a substantial amount of horsepower. Then you would want to do the upgrades that Vicster recommended. With all the upgrades that I did on mine including parts and labor it came out to around $4500 with a dyno tune. And yeah, that's kind of expensive but I whole heartedly believe you get what you pay for more than ever in this day in age. Like Joshnmn said you can go to Gwatney Performance and build a total package, or I think Texas Speed does it as well. Or better yet just pick up the phone and give them a call and they'll explain everything in detail for you. Hope this helps any questions just ask.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #5
jesse121pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Not sure you need to rebuild the entire engine but definitely need a top end kit for sure. You didn't day weather it's a ls3 or l99, but I'm going to assume that it is an l99 with the afm (active fuel management) or dod (displacement on demand) where it shuts off the 4 cylinders to conserve fuel mileage and that's where your problem lies. Just in case you don't know there are 8 lifters in there that collapse when it goes to 4-cylinder mode and those lifters fail pretty commonly so, to get the engine more reliable most people just do a cam swap and replace all the lifters with the regular type. Then they go get the afm junk disabled with a tune and depending on what cam you pick you could gain a substantial amount of horsepower. Then you would want to do the upgrades that Vicster recommended. With all the upgrades that I did on mine including parts and labor it came out to around $4500 with a dyno tune. And yeah, that's kind of expensive but I whole heartedly believe you get what you pay for more than ever in this day in age. Like Joshnmn said you can go to Gwatney Performance and build a total package, or I think Texas Speed does it as well. Or better yet just pick up the phone and give them a call and they'll explain everything in detail for you. Hope this helps any questions just ask.
its an ls3 but thank you
Old 08-30-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
its an ls3 but thank you
Damn I should of just asked. lol. But the same thing still applies as far as upgrades. Your not bound by Cali laws are you?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 08-30-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Best advice I got before I started, know what rwhp goal you have and build for that. Each upgrade you make leads to other upgrades to support the last one. $$$
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:25 PM   #8
jesse121pm

I just want to make it reliable and get maybe 520whp NA if thats not too much to ask for. I am on gpi I dont know what I should build on their configuator
Old 08-31-2022, 08:47 PM   #9
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
I just want to make it reliable and get maybe 520whp NA if thats not too much to ask for. I am on gpi I dont know what I should build on their configuator
If you want that much power N/A then you should probably look at their max 2.0 heads and cam package or a 415 ci build. I would give Andrew Cammer a dm on here and talk to him about what you want and then he'll build you a cart because he is a sale's consultant for GPI.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:31 PM   #10
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
That's a bit much to ask for N/A and would be an aggressive build, not so much reliable. You can do a mild cam, valvetrain and converter and have a good running, reliable car with around 425-450 hp and not ever worry about anything.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:39 AM   #11
morepowerjoe

Yeah right now I'm making 438 rwhp with the old style GPI SS1 Camshaft without a converter and it is very fun to drive (big chop too).

Old 09-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
As said above, that's a lot to ask of a NA build, but it can be done. I have a big TSP cam and an LOD Z1 intake and all the valve train goodies and a good tune now, and a 4500 stall converter and am putting 486 rwhp. The car is a blast, and very streetable as well. I think acammer posted up the results of their NEW MAX package from GPI, and id I'm not mistaken I think he made around 524rwhp, or maybe higher, I forgot. It is posted in the bolt on section.. He even posted vids of him driving it.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #13
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Hate to throw is fork in the road for you , but also might wanna do a cost analysis on that vs adding a lsa supercharger ..
Old 09-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Definitely set a budget. My build started as a nice cam and catback. 25K later and the beast was born lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifter, tick, upgrade