Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 11-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
driverxdeutsch

Drives: 2018 V6 1LE
2018 1LT to 3LT cluster upgrade!

So excited to finally get this done. I know there are a couple threads from people having upgraded the cluster with varying degree of functionality preserved, thanks Junito for your thread that sparked my interest in doing this. I got lucky in that my car has the larger IO5 8" center display from the technology package, which is comparable with the enhanced cluster. I'm quite happy to report that swapping in the cluster is a relatively simple process if you get in touch with the right people.

Most of the conversation I've read on here involves swapping in the enhanced cluster from the SS models, which is possible (and cheaper). Personally, I couldn't stand the idea of the redline being incorrect and having the SS badging on a non-SS. I chose to spend a bit more and just purchase a new 3LT enhanced cluster as I could not confidently source a used cluster (they're very hard to find).

Even sourcing a new cluster turned out to be a real chore, I attempted to buy the part from two large online chevy parts retailers and both voided the purchase, apparently GM blocks the sale of clusters online. I've read here that even ordering one in person is a very difficult process. Luckily, GTPprix (White Automotive & Media Services) was incredibly helpful throughout this whole process and was able to source a cluster for me. The part number for the enhanced cluster on a 2018 Camaro 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT is 84414958. Going rate is in the $400-450 range right now depending on where you're able to source it from. You may get lucky and find one on ebay used. Alternately, the SS cluster can be sourced in the ~$200 range and can also be programed to work on an LT car if you're okay with the mismatched parts.

After you get any cluster you need to have it programed to your specific car. I have not verified that a virgin cluster cannot just be plugged in, but I trust those that I've heard this from, including GTPPrix and one of the online chevy parts stores that voided my purchase of a cluster for exactly this reason (even though I told them I was having it programed). Anyhow, White Automotive & Media Services (GTPPrix) charged $299 for programming on the unit they sourced and had the programed cluster out to me within 8 days of paying for the cluster and programing. They don't specifically mention this programing service on their site but if you email them they'll be able to get this done. You can find them here: https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

I will say that patience is a must when ordering from them, I wasn't in a hurry and understood that they're busy so this wasn't a problem for me. In total, my communication with them took about 2 months and 50 or so messages back and forth to complete. A lot of this was me asking questions and making sure everything would fit and work correctly. Some of the delay was on their end, some of it was on my end, at the end of the day once money was exchanged the process was very quick. They were also unbelievably helpful throughout the process.

The last piece of this puzzle is the plug and play harness from Gen5DIY (chevy24@Gen5diy). It's literally made for exactly this purpose. Without the harness the steering wheel controls will not work and you'll be left with a screen and no way to do anything with it. Find it here: https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...pgrade-harness

Okay, so now the installation:

Installing the cluster involves following the first part of this great write up: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447174
Getting the cluster out is pretty simple and only takes about 30 minutes. Make sure you have a nice magnetic 7mm socket and a loooooong extension to reach the screws at the top of the cluster. Everything in the dash is only hand tight, I didn't even use a socket driver to disassemble, just my 7mm and the extension were enough, keep that in mind when reinstalling everything.

I never really found a good resource for installing the Gen5DIY harness. This was the longest part of the installation. Be prepared to stuff yourself in tight places and curse at tiny hidden screws. The harness plugs into the cluster wires and the steering wheel control wires going into the IO5/IO6 unit. THIS UNIT IS LOCATED IN THE PASSENGER FOOTWELL. You need to unscrew 4 screws that hold the panel in, basically one at each corner. This panel is directly above where the passenger's feet would be. Once you have the screws out, the whole panel needs to be pushed forward and then it can be pulled down. You will see that there are several control units attached to the inside of this panel. There is only one plug on the harness that matches up, it's quite easy to find. You will have to feed the extension wires from the Gen5DIY harness from the cluster to the IO5/6 unit, this is a complete pain but you'll find just enough space in the dashboard if you're patient. The harness is very well made and looks completely OEM, very impressed and 100% worth the price ($175).

Final thoughts:

In total this project cost me a little over $900. I know this is money I'll never see back, but it is a very cool upgrade that I love so far. The enhanced cluster gets you a whole bunch of new stuff including the media display, configurable layouts, and more gauges at once. There are plenty of videos that go through the cluster options on the SS cars, this display exactly mirrors that functionality. Happy to answer any questions about installing the cluster and harness.

driverxdeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
X24amd

Drives: 2017 camaro RS v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverxdeutsch View Post
So excited to finally get this done. I know there are a couple threads from people having upgraded the cluster with varying degree of functionality preserved, thanks Junito for your thread that sparked my interest in doing this. I got lucky in that my car has the larger IO5 8" center display from the technology package, which is comparable with the enhanced cluster. I'm quite happy to report that swapping in the cluster is a relatively simple process if you get in touch with the right people.

Most of the conversation I've read on here involves swapping in the enhanced cluster from the SS models, which is possible (and cheaper). Personally, I couldn't stand the idea of the redline being incorrect and having the SS badging on a non-SS. I chose to spend a bit more and just purchase a new 3LT enhanced cluster as I could not confidently source a used cluster (they're very hard to find).

Even sourcing a new cluster turned out to be a real chore, I attempted to buy the part from two large online chevy parts retailers and both voided the purchase, apparently GM blocks the sale of clusters online. I've read here that even ordering one in person is a very difficult process. Luckily, GTPprix (White Automotive & Media Services) was incredibly helpful throughout this whole process and was able to source a cluster for me. The part number for the enhanced cluster on a 2018 Camaro 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT is 84414958. Going rate is in the $400-450 range right now depending on where you're able to source it from. You may get lucky and find one on ebay used. Alternately, the SS cluster can be sourced in the ~$200 range and can also be programed to work on an LT car if you're okay with the mismatched parts.

After you get any cluster you need to have it programed to your specific car. I have not verified that a virgin cluster cannot just be plugged in, but I trust those that I've heard this from, including GTPPrix and one of the online chevy parts stores that voided my purchase of a cluster for exactly this reason (even though I told them I was having it programed). Anyhow, White Automotive & Media Services (GTPPrix) charged $299 for programming on the unit they sourced and had the programed cluster out to me within 8 days of paying for the cluster and programing. They don't specifically mention this programing service on their site but if you email them they'll be able to get this done. You can find them here: https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

I will say that patience is a must when ordering from them, I wasn't in a hurry and understood that they're busy so this wasn't a problem for me. In total, my communication with them took about 2 months and 50 or so messages back and forth to complete. A lot of this was me asking questions and making sure everything would fit and work correctly. Some of the delay was on their end, some of it was on my end, at the end of the day once money was exchanged the process was very quick. They were also unbelievably helpful throughout the process.

The last piece of this puzzle is the plug and play harness from Gen5DIY (chevy24@Gen5diy). It's literally made for exactly this purpose. Without the harness the steering wheel controls will not work and you'll be left with a screen and no way to do anything with it. Find it here: https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...pgrade-harness

Okay, so now the installation:

Installing the cluster involves following the first part of this great write up: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447174
Getting the cluster out is pretty simple and only takes about 30 minutes. Make sure you have a nice magnetic 7mm socket and a loooooong extension to reach the screws at the top of the cluster. Everything in the dash is only hand tight, I didn't even use a socket driver to disassemble, just my 7mm and the extension were enough, keep that in mind when reinstalling everything.

I never really found a good resource for installing the Gen5DIY harness. This was the longest part of the installation. Be prepared to stuff yourself in tight places and curse at tiny hidden screws. The harness plugs into the cluster wires and the steering wheel control wires going into the IO5/IO6 unit. THIS UNIT IS LOCATED IN THE PASSENGER FOOTWELL. You need to unscrew 4 screws that hold the panel in, basically one at each corner. This panel is directly above where the passenger's feet would be. Once you have the screws out, the whole panel needs to be pushed forward and then it can be pulled down. You will see that there are several control units attached to the inside of this panel. There is only one plug on the harness that matches up, it's quite easy to find. You will have to feed the extension wires from the Gen5DIY harness from the cluster to the IO5/6 unit, this is a complete pain but you'll find just enough space in the dashboard if you're patient. The harness is very well made and looks completely OEM, very impressed and 100% worth the price ($175).

Final thoughts:

In total this project cost me a little over $900. I know this is money I'll never see back, but it is a very cool upgrade that I love so far. The enhanced cluster gets you a whole bunch of new stuff including the media display, configurable layouts, and more gauges at once. There are plenty of videos that go through the cluster options on the SS cars, this display exactly mirrors that functionality. Happy to answer any questions about installing the cluster and harness.

Hey man do you remember how long it took them to program it and send back? Just sent them a used cluster
X24amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
driverxdeutsch

Drives: 2018 V6 1LE
It's been a while but once they found me a cluster I think it was only about a week or 10 days until I got it. They were very backed up when I first contacted them so it was more than a month before they were able to source a cluster for me.
driverxdeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1lt, 2lt, cluster, instrument cluster, upgrade