Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Honestly, I think all we need to do is to look at Cadillac for the answer to the engine choice options.

It's going to be the turbo 2.0. N/A 3.6, and LT1. They almost have to put in the 4 cyl for the CAFE standards, and this is the model that will have the composite suspension pieces to keep weight down so it's still fun to drive.

Now, for fun speculation, I would really like to see t-tops make a comeback on this car. Prefer a targa, but in reality there would be no where to store the top in the car. Don't get me wrong, the Camaro makes one of the best looking convertibles out there, but I prefer the look of the coupe and love open air driving. Sunroof just doesn't cut it though.

Oh, and a 7 speed manual with rev match please.

I agree if they do put the turbo 4 it will be the 2.0 then the NA 3.6 then the LT1. As far as t tops and targa tops I wish we would see those but I just don't see GM doing this for the camaro. But I still hope they do. and please 7 speed with rev match would be awesome!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS6SPD View Post
I agree if they do put the turbo 4 it will be the 2.0 then the NA 3.6 then the LT1. As far as t tops and targa tops I wish we would see those but I just don't see GM doing this for the camaro. But I still hope they do. and please 7 speed with rev match would be awesome!
A camaro with a targa top would be awesome, that never even occurred to me! I can see the corvette guys being upset though.

I feel like we'll definitely see the 7 speed with rev match.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #17
H13rarchy

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Honestly, I think all we need to do is to look at Cadillac for the answer to the engine choice options.

It's going to be the turbo 2.0. N/A 3.6, and LT1. They almost have to put in the 4 cyl for the CAFE standards, and this is the model that will have the composite suspension pieces to keep weight down so it's still fun to drive.
I actually disagree on the turbo 4 being needed for CAFE standards. I could easily see the lineup being the N/A 3.6, the TT 3.0, and hopefully a slightly higher output LT1 to compete more with Dodge's 392 hemi.

My reasoning behind this is that Chevrolet, unlike Cadillac, has plenty of other models to shove the turbo 4, and any other tiny 4, into to meet the CAFE standards. Chevrolet can let the Malibu, Impala, Cruze, Spark, Volt & Bolt worry about CAFE and let the Camaro and Corvette focus on being true performance vehicles.
H13rarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS C6 View Post
I think having both a V6 and a 4cylinder turbo is redundant.
I think a 4cylinder turbo and a V8 covers the spectrum.
V6 and T4 might be redundant, but only if they pump up the T4 enough to compete like Mustang did with the Ecoboost (which, in stock tune is not much if any faster than the V6).

The new LGX V6 is likely going to get the same 335HP/284TQ as the Cadillac version is getting. To match that, the T4 would need to make power similarly to the Ecoboost which I think is somewhere around 310HP/320TQ. I don't believe GM is going to push the 2.0 that far. I'd guess the T4 will end up around 275HP / 290TQ (still pretty quick) or less, and that's why it will be the base engine. Should be fairly simple to coax 350HP out of the new LGX which I think is pretty awesome.

I'd take the new 3.0 TTV6 in the Camaro in a second, but only if it was a decent out in cost less than the LT1....which I doubt it would be. In any case, I'm about 90% sure we aren't going to see the TTV6 in the Camaro in the near future. Down the road...I can see it for sure.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
I got my fingers crossed for an LT4 with the 7 speed manual with rev match

I am guessing that the LT4 will eventually be available in the new Camaro, in which model I don't know.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #20
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I am guessing that the LT4 will eventually be available in the new Camaro, in which model I don't know.
I'm sure it will be at some point just not the first year.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #21
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by H13rarchy View Post
I actually disagree on the turbo 4 being needed for CAFE standards. I could easily see the lineup being the N/A 3.6, the TT 3.0, and hopefully a slightly higher output LT1 to compete more with Dodge's 392 hemi.

My reasoning behind this is that Chevrolet, unlike Cadillac, has plenty of other models to shove the turbo 4, and any other tiny 4, into to meet the CAFE standards. Chevrolet can let the Malibu, Impala, Cruze, Spark, Volt & Bolt worry about CAFE and let the Camaro and Corvette focus on being true performance vehicles.
I agree with the difference in line ups of the two companies, however, being in the middle of a horsepower war with Ford and Dodge, they may see it as an "every little bit helps" thing. If they think a turbo 4 will help sell more cars, they will put it in there, I have no doubt.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #22
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
I agree with the difference in line ups of the two companies, however, being in the middle of a horsepower war with Ford and Dodge, they may see it as an "every little bit helps" thing. If they think a turbo 4 will help sell more cars, they will put it in there, I have no doubt.

The only problem I see with adding the turbo 4 from the ATS is that it is about 35 HP down to the ecoboost in the Mustang. I guess if it made the Camaro significantly cheaper it might work. The ecoboost Mustang is 3500 lbs, I doubt a turbo 4 Camaro would be much lighter than that.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by H13rarchy View Post

Pretty much been quoted that Cadillac will be getting exclusive engines. 3.0 TT is likely one of those. But it's 3.0L displacement is pretty much for countries that tax on engine size. A 6.2L V8 is cheaper and more powerful

Also 2016 CAFE and up isn't really "corporate" anymore. Each model will have specific targets based on wheel base and track. So Corvette and Camaro will ultimately have to fit in. The question is whether they do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
V6 and T4 might be redundant, but only if they pump up the T4 enough to compete like Mustang did with the Ecoboost (which, in stock tune is not much if any faster than the V6).

The new LGX V6 is likely going to get the same 335HP/284TQ as the Cadillac version is getting. To match that, the T4 would need to make power similarly to the Ecoboost which I think is somewhere around 310HP/320TQ. I don't believe GM is going to push the 2.0 that far. I'd guess the T4 will end up around 275HP / 290TQ (still pretty quick) or less, and that's why it will be the base engine. Should be fairly simple to coax 350HP out of the new LGX which I think is pretty awesome.

I'd take the new 3.0 TTV6 in the Camaro in a second, but only if it was a decent out in cost less than the LT1....which I doubt it would be. In any case, I'm about 90% sure we aren't going to see the TTV6 in the Camaro in the near future. Down the road...I can see it for sure.
Not sure why anyone is loving this 3.0TT. If anything give us the 3.6TT but oooops that make the same HP as the LT1 and is just more expensive.

Quote:
I expect we will see a 4 cylinder Camaro once again. The only question is if it will be at launch or not.

I don't expect GM to try and out HP Fords 2.3 T with the 2.0 T. That would be the proverbial hand grenade.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Except for the fact that GM has filed patents for a DCT and the Cruze in China was reported to have a DCT and further the simple fact that if you've driven a car with a GOOD DCT you know it is superior to any automatic, regardless of reported shift speed.

And also the very simple fact that GM has announced a very performance oriented AWD system that is now capable of V8 levels of torque that should go into production at or even before the Camaro.

So the only question is.................do you believe the Camaro to be a 'Merican Muscle car (I don't) or a sporty high performance coupe (I do, it's a Pony car historically).

If you are hung up on the former, yes it's an argument. If you hope for the latter, it only means GM has even bigger plans for the Camaro.................like world domination.

So GM now has or is about to have the parts to make the car even more awesome and appeal to an even larger audience.

But realistically, I doubt the Camaro gets the first application of a new transmission. If it did? That would be a HUGE message on the aspirations for the Camaro. But it's likely coming just for FE benefits. Just maybe not 2016.

I fully expect to see an AWD Camaro at least up to the V6. If you look at ATS sales in the North and Midwest a big selling feature is AWD. AWD would simply broaden the appeal for a high performance coupe and give Chevy the ability to sell against the FWD coupes playing in the V6 market.

As I've been suggesting the whole time, the Gen 6 car will also be the 2021 Camaro, likely even 2022. It better be a much much better car than a heritage play to the 60s and 70s. It has to be a great car first with a more broad appeal.

The Gen IV failed because it was a nice place for a V8, but the V6 was honestly a pretty crappy car for a sporty V6 coupe.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #25
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Cadillac may also provide us a hint for the future of car audio. Since we're speculating, I'd like to see a version of Bose's new Panaray sound system as an option for the ZL1's or special edition Camaros. 34 speakers!

"The CT6 delivers an optional world-class sound system that creates a stunning listening experience in every seat. The available Bose® Panaray® Sound System makes use of 34 strategically positioned speakers and innovative technologies to ensure that each passenger is provided with concert hall sound."
Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Cadillac may also provide us a hint for the future of car audio. Since we're speculating, I'd like to see a version of Bose's new Panaray sound system as an option for the ZL1's or special edition Camaros. 34 speakers!

"The CT6 delivers an optional world-class sound system that creates a stunning listening experience in every seat. The available Bose® Panaray® Sound System makes use of 34 strategically positioned speakers and innovative technologies to ensure that each passenger is provided with concert hall sound."
I had a chance to hear a Bose system demonstrated in a Cadillac several years ago. Not sure if it was Panaray or what it was. All I know is what they had was pretty awesome. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but even I could tell this was miles above any Bose or Pioneer System GM had ever put in a car. Just waiting to see how much. The uplevel system in Lexus is a $1,600 option.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #27
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Except for the fact that GM has filed patents for a DCT and the Cruze in China was reported to have a DCT and further the simple fact that if you've driven a car with a GOOD DCT you know it is superior to any automatic, regardless of reported shift speed.

And also the very simple fact that GM has announced a very performance oriented AWD system that is now capable of V8 levels of torque that should go into production at or even before the Camaro.

So the only question is.................do you believe the Camaro to be a 'Merican Muscle car (I don't) or a sporty high performance coupe (I do, it's a Pony car historically).

If you are hung up on the former, yes it's an argument. If you hope for the latter, it only means GM has even bigger plans for the Camaro.................like world domination.

So GM now has or is about to have the parts to make the car even more awesome and appeal to an even larger audience.

But realistically, I doubt the Camaro gets the first application of a new transmission. If it did? That would be a HUGE message on the aspirations for the Camaro. But it's likely coming just for FE benefits. Just maybe not 2016.

I fully expect to see an AWD Camaro at least up to the V6. If you look at ATS sales in the North and Midwest a big selling feature is AWD. AWD would simply broaden the appeal for a high performance coupe and give Chevy the ability to sell against the FWD coupes playing in the V6 market.

As I've been suggesting the whole time, the Gen 6 car will also be the 2021 Camaro, likely even 2022. It better be a much much better car than a heritage play to the 60s and 70s. It has to be a great car first with a more broad appeal.

The Gen IV failed because it was a nice place for a V8, but the V6 was honestly a pretty crappy car for a sporty V6 coupe.
Honestly, the only reason I so wholeheartedly agreed with the post about not talking about a DCT and AWD is because that one guy (ECS C6 or whatever) wouldn't shut up about it in every thread he posted in that day. He didn't want to actually discuss anything though, just be a jerk to people who didn't agree with them and call the camaro a failure. I'm always open to any kind of car related discussion! Just not in which people are going to decide to be disrespectful to those with differing opinions.

Personally, I don't feel like a car with the camaro name should ever have AWD. It would almost be the same as GM announcing a FWD camaro (and I think we can all agree, that just ain't right).

I say, leave the corvette to compete with exotics and imports, as it's the sporty high performance coupe; give it the AWD. Leave the camaro to destroy domestic competition.

However, I'm sure when we see an AWD mustang and/or challenger, we'll see an AWD camaro. And if GM really does have a good AWD system in place that can handle V8 output? Why not.

I don't see a camaro ever competing with the likes of 918s, P1s, or LaFerraris, which is what people seem to be wanting. Yeah, that would obviously be great, but it would push the price point way beyond what it is now (obviously).
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #28
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Honestly, the only reason I so wholeheartedly agreed with the post about not talking about a DCT and AWD is because that one guy (ECS C6 or whatever) wouldn't shut up about it in every thread he posted in that day. He didn't want to actually discuss anything though, just be a jerk to people who didn't agree with them and call the camaro a failure. I'm always open to any kind of car related discussion! Just not in which people are going to decide to be disrespectful to those with differing opinions.

Personally, I don't feel like a car with the camaro name should ever have AWD. It would almost be the same as GM announcing a FWD camaro (and I think we can all agree, that just ain't right).

I say, leave the corvette to compete with exotics and imports, as it's the sporty high performance coupe; give it the AWD. Leave the camaro to destroy domestic competition.

However, I'm sure when we see an AWD mustang and/or challenger, we'll see an AWD camaro. And if GM really does have a good AWD system in place that can handle V8 output? Why not.

I don't see a camaro ever competing with the likes of 918s, P1s, or LaFerraris, which is what people seem to be wanting. Yeah, that would obviously be great, but it would push the price point way beyond what it is now (obviously).
What if it's an AWD car with a rear wheel bias that only distributes power to the front wheels as necessary to maintain traction? That's how a few of the historically RWD performance cars that are becoming AWD are handling the issue. For the majority of your drive, it's still a RWD car.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote