Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
Why though? Wouldn't it just be easier to start with the V8 track pack? Seems like if youre buying the car for performance you don't want a V6, seems like a gas mileage thing.
Might be easier if you want to pay for it. But a 3,500 lb, 335HP, 8 speed auto Camaro V6 is going to be right on par with say...a 2010 Mustang GT or at least damn close. That's good performance right there. No...not modern V8 performance, but still plenty fun for the average person. The V6 (while it is the better gas mileage option and the cheap option) no longer means you have all the looks and no fun.

I'm speculating a low 5 second 0 - 60 and at least a mid or better 13 second 1/4 mile being possible. Of course, the average person won't hit that, but then again the average SS auto (stock) isn't running 13 flat either like the mag tests say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Good luck, though...I'm rooting for you...You're our point-man for the V-6...lol
lol Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamRamRo View Post
My prediction is that when the 6th Gen V6 comes out, many will buy it and get told they should have bought the V8 when asking for performance tips.
I guarantee it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They are and they aren't. There is no V6 performance package, but you can get the parts. They offer the 1LE suspension bits (including the strut tower brace), plus the SS brakes through Chevrolet Performance (or if you really feel like it, you can get the Z/28 suspension bits and ZL1 brakes). You'll have to install them yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. And you'll have a bunch of spares left over (and I doubt that V6 Camaro suspension parts are going to be too easy to sell). But GM will sell you most of the parts to make yourself a V6 1LE, if you so choose. Only things that seem to be missing are the wheels/tires and a shorter gearing option.

Its not cheap at over 7 grand in parts to make yourself a V6 1LE (and you don't even get the black wheels with high performance rubber) but you can do it.
1LE option costs what...3,500 dollars? The PP option on the Ecoboost is 1,995 and adds additional structure, sway bars, and gearing (as well as some interior styling and wheels). I'd pony up 2 grand for that from the factory for a V6 for sure (unless I just HATED the optional wheels lol)
Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #30
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I honestly think the v6 is plenty of power for the car.. Just a lot of us stuck on wanting a v8.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #31
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I honestly think the v6 is plenty of power for the car.. Just a lot of us stuck on wanting a v8.
That torque and sound
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #32
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Yeah, you hear it on the ads on TV.

"I coulda had a V8". LOL

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #33
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Not stuck on a v8, 350 horsepower is just not enough for me.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #34
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
In would like to see a v6 with a suspension package for the guy who likes to autocross or enjoy a better handling ncar without the added cost or weight of the v8. I like options because it draws in more possible customers.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #35
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
<~~~~~~~~ would prefer a 6th Gen Camaro V-6 with more TQ, 276lb/ft of TQ just doesn't cut it, unless it weighs around 3,200lbs(not going to happen-I know), reason I am looking forward to a Turbo 4, easy TQ increase with added boost and Tune ... if the current 2.0L already has about 295lb/ft "stock" we could easily see somewhere in the area of 330-350lb/ft of TQ with simple Mods, No ????
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Not stuck on a v8, 350 horsepower is just not enough for me.
And to think ... just 20 years ago 350 hp would have been pretty good for a V8.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
<~~~~~~~~ would prefer a 6th Gen Camaro V-6 with more TQ, 276lb/ft of TQ just doesn't cut it, unless it weighs around 3,200lbs(not going to happen-I know), reason I am looking forward to a Turbo 4, easy TQ increase with added boost and Tune ... if the current 2.0L already has about 295lb/ft "stock" we could easily see somewhere in the area of 330-350lb/ft of TQ with simple Mods, No ????
The new V6 is going to have 284 ft-lbs, at least in the CT6. And the current one makes 278 ft-lbs in the Camaro.

But anyways ... peak torque is vastly over rated. Slightly taller gearing and any numerical advantage in torque is now gone. Whats important is the shape of the torque curve, and if the LFX vs current 2.0L turbo is any indication, the V6 has slightly better low end torque (from idle to about 2.5k rpm) than the turbo engine does (assuming its the torquey version of the 4 cylinder, some variants max out at 260 ft-lbs). What this means is that when you hit the gas as you're cruising along, the power is simply going to be there. And then the torque on the little 4 cylinder drops off pretty abruptly at 5 grand while the V6 keeps on pulling (hence the big difference in peak power). Thats why its important to know the shape of the torque curve, rather than just the peak values.

As for getting lots of power or torque from 'just a tune' or other simple mods ... yes, its possible. But is anyone actually managing to do it with that engine in the ATS, CTS, Malibu, or Regal? The ATS would probably be the most likely candidate for people trying it, and (very) quick google turned up exactly nothing. Maybe that will change with the Camaro, maybe I didn't look hard enough (it was a very quick search on my part). But something tells me that anything other than the V8(s) are pretty much going to get ignored by the aftermarket.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
The new V6 is going to have 284 ft-lbs, at least in the CT6. And the current one makes 278 ft-lbs in the Camaro.

But anyways ... peak torque is vastly over rated. Slightly taller gearing and any numerical advantage in torque is now gone. Whats important is the shape of the torque curve, and if the LFX vs current 2.0L turbo is any indication, the V6 has slightly better low end torque (from idle to about 2.5k rpm) than the turbo engine does (assuming its the torquey version of the 4 cylinder, some variants max out at 260 ft-lbs). What this means is that when you hit the gas as you're cruising along, the power is simply going to be there. And then the torque on the little 4 cylinder drops off pretty abruptly at 5 grand while the V6 keeps on pulling (hence the big difference in peak power). Thats why its important to know the shape of the torque curve, rather than just the peak values.

As for getting lots of power or torque from 'just a tune' or other simple mods ... yes, its possible. But is anyone actually managing to do it with that engine in the ATS, CTS, Malibu, or Regal? The ATS would probably be the most likely candidate for people trying it, and (very) quick google turned up exactly nothing. Maybe that will change with the Camaro, maybe I didn't look hard enough (it was a very quick search on my part). But something tells me that anything other than the V8(s) are pretty much going to get ignored by the aftermarket.
The 8 speed will help in the TQ department for sure. I really like the current 6 speed, and its harder for me to imagine manual mode shifting the 8 speeds (lots of button pressing! lol) but in automatic/sport mode it should definitely be quicker than the 6 speed.

As for tunes for the ATS, they are out there and you can get impressive TQ numbers, but as you said, the TQ takes a dive after 4 or 5K RPM.

The LLT/LFX has a wonderful TQ curve, very flat. My V6 responds well to throttle input and seems to pull well from even a low rpm without needing to shift. But 280TQ is nothing close to the well over 400TQ the V8 makes.

This new V6 with lighter weight, more power, and more gears (and especially if they offer a PP option with a higher rear end ratio) should be a nice kick in the pants to drive, but will never satisfy the guys already used to modern V8 torque and want more. That's fine...this thread isn't about that. Its about giving the V6 performance options that it rightfully deserves.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #39
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
And to think ... just 20 years ago 350 hp would have been pretty good for a V8.
Just 5 years ago 300 was pretty good for me, then it got boring, 400 is starting to get boring too. Might have to wait until a 6th gen with 600 plus HP comes out, that should hold me over for a while.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote