Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
DirectTo

Drives: Sold!
SS sways on an LT?

Any advantage to putting the SS bars on my car? Beyond the end links and mounting bolts (may interchange?) is there anything I’m missing for the swap?

Thanks guys.
DirectTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
You'll get a higher dynamic wheel rate, which means more grip if you have a matching tire (something OEM SS-ish), and less body roll. Asymmetrical bumps will be marginal firmer feeling.

The correct front sway-bar part number for an FE3 coupe is 22988701, and that includes bushings and clamps. The rear stabilizer bar kit number is 84004728.

The FE3 front stabilizing links are stronger too, you'll want those to match the bars. The part numbers I have are 23240970 & 23240971.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You'll get a higher dynamic wheel rate, which means more grip if you have a matching tire (something OEM SS-ish), and less body roll. Asymmetrical bumps will be marginal firmer feeling.

The correct front sway-bar part number for an FE3 coupe is 22988701, and that includes bushings and clamps. The rear stabilizer bar kit number is 84004728.

The FE3 front stabilizing links are stronger too, you'll want those to match the bars. The part numbers I have are 23240970 & 23240971.
Ryephile is correct on both accounts, but if you are going to do new sways, why not upgrade to ZL1 sways? You can look up my posts for all the part numbers for the sways and endlinks (Ryephile has the correct end links part numbers above).
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Suspension tuning is rarely a "more is better" situation.

The dynamic wheel rate needs to match the tires. The FE4 stabilizer bars are intended for the Goodyear Supercar 3 tires (when combined with the MRC dampers and springs and control link bushings). If the OP doesn't plan on running such a sticky summer tire, then it's likely not the best option. If he does, then it's certainly a plausible solution.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
I have an LT 2.0L Turbo and upgraded the suspension bits.

If your not upgrading the shocks and springs I wouldn't upgrade further than SS bars. Even at that point you'll be "much more sway bars than shocks and springs". The FE2 suspension as a whole is way too soft. I have LT eibach springs on SS shocks which turned out to have a perfect amount of control over the springs. Great combination on the LT chassis.

If your gonna upgrade the shocks/springs then I'd suggest getting the BMR sway bars. Preferably adjustable. At some point I'm going to remove my FE4 ZL1 rear sway bar and put the BMR adjustable rear sway bar on just so front and rear are adjustable and "match".

The front...I can't speak for the V6 LT but I had to move some harness stuff and tubing as well as move this little plastic cannister thing in order to fit the "SS and up" bars on my car. May be a 2.0L problem though.

IMO upgrading all the suspension is a must on the LT platform. Go for it!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
I wanted to wait until I installed my ZL1 bars to respond to this but I can confidently say the ZL1 sways are not too much for the v6's. Granted i have a 2LT with the 20's but after the ZL1 bars and lower trailing arms the rear is way more secure and confident feeling. I'd agree the car would benefit from stiffer shocks\springs but the sways and arms are a very worthwhile upgrade.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote