Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
M6 guys...what are you running for a drag radial?

So, I was looking at the ET Street Rs in a 305/45R17 (28X12.50R17), but I heard that bias ply is preferred over a radial for cars with manual transmissions. Something to do with it allowing more slip at the beginning, so that bogging isn't an issue? Anyway, they only make the ET Street R in a 28X11.50R17, or roughly 275mm, for some reason. Should I just run a radial or does someone out there make a bias ply in 28X12.50R17?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
So, I was looking at the ET Street Rs in a 305/45R17 (28X12.50R17), but I heard that bias ply is preferred over a radial for cars with manual transmissions. Something to do with it allowing more slip at the beginning, so that bogging isn't an issue? Anyway, they only make the ET Street R in a 28X11.50R17, or roughly 275mm, for some reason. Should I just run a radial or does someone out there make a bias ply in 28X12.50R17?
Bias ply slick is what I’m using. It allows for some give in the sidewall so it’s less harsh on the drivetrain. People are breaking their shafts in the M6 cars on really hard launches. I’m using that 11.50 and it’s plenty of tire trust me. It dead hooks on mine. If you use a DR with the M6 you will most likely break an axle shaft pretty quickly. It has no flex. However if you plan on driving around on these tires then I would not do it with a bias ply. I switch mine over at the track personally.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
I could always upgrade axle shafts, but if you're dead hooking at your power level then I should be good for a while too. I'm mainly just trying to find a way to use the same wheel while also going bigger later...guess I'll just have to go with a 15” wheel when that day comes.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
RynoSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
You're more likely to break stuff with a DR versus a slick on a manual car. The stiffer sidewall of the drag radial isn't nearly as forgiving on the drivetrain as a slick. The slick will absorb most of the energy and shock when launching (wrinkling). I have an M6 car and I run the Race Star 17" drag wheels with a Hoosier 28x10 slick and the car dead ass hooks and leaves hard! I only have Kooks headers and a tune and my sixty foot times are in the low 1.6's and I'm still leaving a lot on the table as far as launch RPM.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoSS View Post
You're more likely to break stuff with a DR versus a slick on a manual car. The stiffer sidewall of the drag radial isn't nearly as forgiving on the drivetrain as a slick. The slick will absorb most of the energy and shock when launching (wrinkling). I have an M6 car and I run the Race Star 17" drag wheels with a Hoosier 28x10 slick and the car dead ass hooks and leaves hard! I only have Kooks headers and a tune and my sixty foot times are in the low 1.6's and I'm still leaving a lot on the table as far as launch RPM.
Thats a great 60', you must be tuned by R.S.?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
RynoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Thats a great 60', you must be tuned by R.S.?
Yep! Ryan and the whole team at GPI do amazing work! Never had an issue with them.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Yep! Ryan and the whole team at GPI do amazing work! Never had an issue with them.
What rpm are you launching at?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
Solid_Sim

Drives: 2018 Red hot A10 ZL1
Quote:
This is the setup I'd like for my my M6 17' SS but what do you run in front when at the track?? Do you leave the stock wheels and tires?

(SOLD) 2017 Red hot 2SS, M6, NPP, MRC, GM ground effects, ACS Composite decklid spoiler, Mishimoto Catch can, Diablosport i2030 with custom tune, Primary cat delete pipes by CA Performance, Roto-Fab CAI
Solid_Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
RynoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Sim View Post
This is the setup I'd like for my my M6 17' SS but what do you run in front when at the track?? Do you leave the stock wheels and tires?
Currently running my MRR M017s up front. I had intended to buy the Race Star 17" & Hoosier front runners over the winter, but I just never got around to doing it. Weather has been piss poor around here lately; severe rain and flash flooding. So, the track has been a no-go as of late.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
RynoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
What rpm are you launching at?
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,800-4,000. Like I said, I could easily go another 1,000--1,500 RPM higher, but it's doing everything I want at the range I'm launching at and I'm not trying to push the stock half-shafts and driveshaft any harder than I need to. I plan to upgrade both, but I'd rather it be planned than forced.

Last edited by RynoSS; 02-27-2018 at 10:15 AM.
RynoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #11
Solid_Sim

Drives: 2018 Red hot A10 ZL1
Quote:
Currently running my MRR M017s up front. I had intended to buy the Race Star 17" & Hoosier front runners over the winter, but I just never got around to doing it. Weather has been piss poor around here lately; severe rain and flash flooding. So, the track has been a no-go as of late.
Ok so this means your running BIAS PLY behind and RADIAL up front?

I was gonna buy a set of ET Street R to put on my Race Star 17x9.5 even tough I wanted real slicks but I see everywhere to NEVER put bias ply slicks if you're running on radials up front... Because its dangerous...

This is getting seriously confusing!

(SOLD) 2017 Red hot 2SS, M6, NPP, MRC, GM ground effects, ACS Composite decklid spoiler, Mishimoto Catch can, Diablosport i2030 with custom tune, Primary cat delete pipes by CA Performance, Roto-Fab CAI
Solid_Sim is offline   Reply With Quote