Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Here is a link to a past discussion,

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328903
Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Find a curvy road and drive hard and fast into the corner until you feel the tires start to lose grip. The strut brace helps stiffen the front end up and allows tighter cornering.....unless the GM engineers got the 1LE & ZL1 wrong....
Does owning a V8 now give you the need to be an ...

Do you not know that the brace was first put in the convertibles???

Geebus, time for a snickers bar.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #17
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
There was a post a while back where someone bolted down one side of the brace and then put a go-pro on the other side and documented a fair amount of movement on the unbolted side.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Ok, I don't drive like that on the street.

I did not take KaBoom's comments as being obnoxious, but I drive pretty hard and for me to push the limits of the suspension, I would have to scare the pee out of a lot people maybe even me.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
It won't be a significant difference, these cars are too rigid for that. What's effectively happening is when you enter a corner and the outside front strut loads up, it applies a force to the strut tower, which the strut tower has to counter. Theoretically, the strut tower could flex up and in, allowing incremental movement of the suspension independent of the strut compression as well as applying more load to the sway bar. The strut brace gives a solid connection between the towers, so that the cornering force now has to deflect the strut tower as well as the brace itself and the other tower, which would minimize the flex and allow the strut and sway bar to do their jobs as intended.

Will anyone notice a night-and-day difference by running one of these? No. Will a novice or atuocrosser get more of a benefit than a pro on a road course? Maybe. The reason I can see this being more useful/noticeable for backroads/autocross/amateurs is the way the suspension is loaded. One a roadcourse, with a good driver with smooth inputs, the loading on the strut will be more gradual, making the momentary deflection less noticeable. One an autocross with a much shorter turn-in distance or a novice driver with jerky inputs, the loading will be much more rapid, and closer to an impact loading, allowing for more defection, and increasing the benefit of a strut brace. The more miles and number of flexing incidents experienced by the chassis will eventually increase flex, so higher mileage cars also experience additional benefit, again in theory.

I think the brace looks cool, (because racecar) and can add an incremental increase of consistency to the front suspension geometry, so I'll keep the one I bought. (on clearance) Just don't expect an obvious change like you'll get from changing sway bar diameter, spring/damping stiffness, or most mods, realistically.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!

Last edited by Burt; 02-02-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Sometimes I English like an idiot.
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #20
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Unless you are pushing your V6 to the max on a road course and are somewhat of a driving/racing aficionado, you will not notice much of a difference.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
It won't be a significant difference, these cars are too rigid for that. What's effectively happening is when you enter a corner and the outside front strut loads up, it applies a force to the strut tower, which the strut tower has to counter. Theoretically, the strut tower could flex up and in, allowing incremental movement of the suspension independent of the strut compression as well as applying more load to the sway bar. The strut brace gives a solid connection between the towers, so that the cornering force now has to deflect the strut tower as well as the brace itself and the other tower, which would minimize the flex and allow the strut and sway bar to do their jobs as intended.

Will anyone notice a night-and-day difference by running one of these? No. Will a novice or atuocrosser get more of a benefit than a pro on a road course? Maybe. The reason I can see this being more useful/noticeable for backroads/autocross/amateurs is the way the suspension is loaded. One a roadcourse, with a good driver with smooth inputs, the loading on the strut will be more gradual, making the momentary deflection less noticeable. One an autocross with a much shorter turn-in distance or a novice driver with jerky inputs, the loading will be much more rapid, and closer to an impact loading, allowing for more defection, and increasing the benefit of a strut brace. The more miles and number of flexing incidents experienced by the chassis will eventually increase flex, so higher mileage cars also experience additional benefit, again in theory.

I think the brace looks cool, (because racecar) and can add an incremental increase of consistency to the front suspension geometry, so I'll keep the one I bought. (on clearance) Just don't expect an obvious change like you'll get from changing sway bar diameter, spring/damping stiffness, or most mods, realistically.
Burt wins the internet.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Thanks! Just trying to help with what I know / can theorize.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Installed my OEM brace a long time ago and immediately took the car for a ride. Drove down a familiar rough bumpy road. Definitely felt a more stable feeling in the front end. Do I need one? No. Did I notice a difference? Yes. For the cost and the ease of install compared to what other things cost on these cars. Got to have one. They look good, they do make difference, other Camaro's come with em from the factory. Like I said, they are cheap and about the easiest thing to install, (if the mounting holes are already there).
Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #24
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Wish I could put one in mine

I wish I could install the OEM tower brace in my CAMARO. It is not a direct fit for 2010's.

I have tower brace in my '95 FIREBIRD and it made the car handle inmensely better. Well, actually I installed a lot of chassis/frame stuff (if anyone care to see MY GARAGE entry on the FIREBIRD you'll see what I mean) so it is not that this item alone brought the change but it contributed.

I swear by the benefits of a tower brace and would have to drive my CAMARO after installing one to convince me otherwise.

Having said that, like any other mod, there is a trial and error spect about it.
Some are a great improvement, some have no perceived effect, some are detrimental and make you regret the time and money spent in getting them.

At the end of the day, it all depends on your driving intent (track, autocross, leisure, etc.) and your own driving style.

Safe and great driving to all,

The Flash
Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I installed a BMR tower brace and did notice a difference in rigidity especially when cornering hard. It also makes a handy place to put some LED lights underneath it for lighting.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #26
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
If GM installed them on the ZL1, 1LE and the Z/28.... then there must be a reason.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #27
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
Does owning a V8 now give you the need to be an ...

Do you not know that the brace was first put in the convertibles???

Geebus, time for a snickers bar.
I installed this on my V6 long before I had my Zl1.....

So I know they work...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote