Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
j_wallis

Drives: 2014 2SS Vert - Red Rock Metallic
2014 SS Vert - Exhaust

Just purchased a 2014 2SS Convertible and quickly noticed the lack of sound from the stock exhaust. I know this is something people hold quite dear to their preferences. Being that this is for a convertible, I'm not looking for something to rattle windows. I'd still like to be able to talk with the passenger without screaming.

My dealer recommended Borla... but from what I see, there are different versions.

I'm open to any recommendations you Camaro veterans have gone through.
j_wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
I added headers to my NPP and sounds amazing.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Drives: 2012 Twin Turbo Super Sport
Definitely go Borla Atak, its loud but rediculously loud. Here is a example of how it sounds (btw rims are for sale). Idle 1st half of video and minor rev at 1:36 mark

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
fab410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
It is a personal preference as to what you consider loud vs the next guy. You need to also consider if you plan to ever add long tube headers or not because that will dramatically change the sound of the car.

For example, if you where to buy the Borla Atak and stick it on with your stock headers you might like the sound (personally I don't like the Atak) but then if you add headers it might be way to loud especially in a convertible. On the flip side if you were to buy the Borla Touring with stock headers you might think it barely made a difference. Add a set of LT headers to that I you might love it.

As a side note I've heard the Bora Sport next to my 3" Magnaflow (both also had LT headers) and the sound was almost identical. However, the Magnaflow is a heck of a lot cheaper. Check with www.JDPMotorsports.com for either and get their opinion and pricing as well.

The cheapest and quickest thing to do is a muffler delete. Just know that if you have an Auto car that the AFM will probably sound like crap no matter what exhaust you go with. You'll probably have to address that issue separately.

What I did was a muffler delete right off the bat. I mean I literally drove straight from the dealer to the muffler shop. That setup lasted me about a year until I had the funds to go with LT headers and the 3" Magnaflow.

I will say you're doing the right thing. Keep researching and asking around, look at all the video clips to get a better idea, and if at all possible see if you can meet up with someone local that has the setup you can hear in person. Some video cameras just can't capture sound that well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I have the Borla S-Type on my vert. I've had it for a couple years and like the sound. I'm adding LT headers in a month or so. I think it will still be good to go.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
If you don't plan any performance mods then look at the Solo Performance axle back with J pipes.

No matter which exhaust system you look at be sure it will fit convertible - there is extra bracing that the exhaust has to clear.

If you plane any perfomance mods - long tube headers sound great , even with stock exhaust.
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Great question. I have a 2SS/RS vert on order and I share your desire for increased power but with a mellow exhaust that doesn't detract from the open air experience. I have discussed this with just about every tuner or LT manufacturer I can and it's tough to get a handle on it because it is such a subjective judgment as to what is desirable vs objectionable. You don't mention whether or not you got the NPP option so I'm going to assume you didn't. I did after reading all the raves here and frankly it complicates the decision somewhat because the factory setting OPENS the valves at startup and idle, just when I don't want the car loud. Nonetheless, it's very difficult to resist going the header route. My tuner is a big supporter of ARH so I'm seriously considering either their short connection system or their "to-the-axle" kit which includes 3" and X pipe to the NPP exhaust. It's a tough call because if you over do it, it's an expensive mistake.

Last edited by Indydriver; 03-13-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Don't go with the borla s type - did it, regret it. The sound is great but the drone in the vert is much worse than the coupes. I will be switching to either the stainless works or the solo exhaust
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
j_wallis

Drives: 2014 2SS Vert - Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
Don't go with the borla s type - did it, regret it. The sound is great but the drone in the vert is much worse than the coupes. I will be switching to either the stainless works or the solo exhaust
RolltideSS - Was your Borla S-Type setup a Cat-back or axle-back? I've seen both setups, and trying to understand the differences, and if one would be better over the other knowing this will be on a Vert.
j_wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
RolltideSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_wallis View Post
RolltideSS - Was your Borla S-Type setup a Cat-back or axle-back? I've seen both setups, and trying to understand the differences, and if one would be better over the other knowing this will be on a Vert.
I've got the cat back which has the x pipe instead of the oem resonator. I would think the axel back version would have less drone but I wanted a loud system and many of the people with the axel back have commented that it isn't loud.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Indydriver

I got clarification about ARH short connect LTs vs to-the-axle systems on the SS vert....

The to-the-axle system does foul the bracing on the convertible. They sell a modified "chromoly" brace for $475(!). So, its a $1000 ad to go from their short system retaining the OE catback to their to-the-axle with X pipe. No thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
RolltideSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I got clarification about ARH short connect LTs vs to-the-axle systems on the SS vert....

The to-the-axle system does foul the bracing on the convertible. They sell a modified "chromoly" brace for $475(!). So, its a $1000 ad to go from their short system retaining the OE catback to their to-the-axle with X pipe. No thanks.
I have the brace and I will say it was a good improvement in firming up the car
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
I have the brace and I will say it was a good improvement in firming up the car
Good to hear. So do you have the ARH to-the-axle system into OE NPP?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
RolltideSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Good to hear. So do you have the ARH to-the-axle system into OE NPP?
Nope - I have kooks LT with hf cats into a borla s type cat back. Will be switching to the stainless works 3" system soon though and taking advantage of the clearance the brace gives