Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #29
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenangels89 View Post
I've ran out of gas 3 times in my SS Camaro...
Doesn't it make you feel kind of (no offense)... dumb when it happens?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
What fuel range setting does yours have? I actually wish my DIC would give me the mileage to empty also instead of just having the 'low fuel' come up.

I don't always use the DIC for mileage calc, but when i do, its helpful to know what it estimates based off my most current driving..

It's on the same setting as the calculated fuel economy page. I forget if you page up or page down from fuel economy to get there.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #31
hiddenangels89

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
no, not really. It happens. It's not like i'm careless or anything, just something that is going to happen from time to time.

I've ran out of gas in my Aveo a few times also, not gonna beat myself up over it...
hiddenangels89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #32
hiddenangels89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
It's on the same setting as the calculated fuel economy page. I forget if you page up or page down from fuel economy to get there.
Maybe i'm mis understanding you..

Are you saying there is a setting for your fuel range to override the 'low fuel level' warning and let it continue to say "X" amount of miles left?

or are you just saying that there is a fuel range slide? <- this part i'm aware of, its the above part i wasn't aware of.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #33
Michaels2011

Drives: 2014 2lt/RS
Your fuel pump is in the gas tank, running below 1/4 tank could cause premature failure of said pump….That is expensive to fix…
Having said that… good advice from the op

K&N cai..... WCC underhood lighting.... 1LE strut tower brace.... Custom painted Fuse box/engine covers & strut tower brace.... Pfadt 1.25 lowering springs.....Ghosted side markers.....
Michaels2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #34
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Maybe i'm mis understanding you..

Are you saying there is a setting for your fuel range to override the 'low fuel level' warning and let it continue to say "X" amount of miles left?

or are you just saying that there is a fuel range slide? <- this part i'm aware of, its the above part i wasn't aware of.

I don't know what you're talking about re: any override. My DIC will show me range remaining in miles. the statement was made that it was stupid that the car won't tell you miles to empty. But it does...
Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #35
hiddenangels89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I don't know what you're talking about re: any override. My DIC will show me range remaining in miles. the statement was made that it was stupid that the car won't tell you miles to empty. But it does...
It does tell you, but once you get to >2 gallons or so, the 'low fuel level' takes over the ranging remaining in miles so instead of displaying '6 miles' it just says 'low fuel level'.

- wasn't arguing, i was just making sure i wasn't missing any features
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #36
hiddenangels89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaels2011 View Post
Your fuel pump is in the gas tank, running below 1/4 tank could cause premature failure of said pump….That is expensive to fix…
Having said that… good advice from the op
I wouldn't venture to say running under 1/4 tank could cause premature failure. Maybe running it dry repeatedly or several times might.

I can't imagine coming out with a product (in general any product) that has a high rate of failure from a cause that is going to / has a high probability of happening.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #37
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I wouldn't venture to say running under 1/4 tank could cause premature failure. Maybe running it dry repeatedly or several times might.

I can't imagine coming out with a product (in general any product) that has a high rate of failure from a cause that is going to / has a high probability of happening.
Sorry but if has been shown that constantly running below 1/4 tank does indeed shorten the life span of the pump. Gasoline contains sediment which settles to the bottom. When you go below 1/4 of a tank you have a higher chance of inducing this sediment into the fuel line which will slowly clog the fuel filter over time. The fuel pump thus has to work harder to pump the gas through the clogged filter which shortens the life span. Even so the life span is still pretty long so most people don't worry about it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #38
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
It does tell you, but once you get to >2 gallons or so, the 'low fuel level' takes over the ranging remaining in miles so instead of displaying '6 miles' it just says 'low fuel level'.

- wasn't arguing, i was just making sure i wasn't missing any features
You aren't. There's no way to override it once it displays "low fuel range."
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #39
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
did the dealer charge you for checking things out?
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #40
hiddenangels89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Sorry but if has been shown that constantly running below 1/4 tank does indeed shorten the life span of the pump. Gasoline contains sediment which settles to the bottom. When you go below 1/4 of a tank you have a higher chance of inducing this sediment into the fuel line which will slowly clog the fuel filter over time. The fuel pump thus has to work harder to pump the gas through the clogged filter which shortens the life span. Even so the life span is still pretty long so most people don't worry about it.
What would you say that life span is?

I'm still not buying into this 1/4 tank theory. I'm not trying to 'argue' i'm really just trying to get a page of research that shows this more than a 'quite a few people have had this issue' type response. Basically, i don't want to be forced convinced, i want to be taught.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
The "fuel range" or "miles to empty" display is virtually useless when you need it the most. Who cares when you have 327 miles to empty - I want to know how many miles I have left when I am nearing empty. It's not about how much much money it will cost, as some have commented about, it's about the inconvenience or time spent filling up - especially on road trips. On most of my previous cars that had a fuel range display you could drive it down to single digits.

As far as damaging the fuel pump if you let the tank get below 1/4 tank I would like to see definitive evidence this is really the case. I bet for each case someone can show where a fuel pump was damaged from low fuel I can find ten people that constantly run there fuel tanks down to 1/8 of a tank and lower consistantly and never have a furl pump issue. JMO
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #42
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
I've ran out of gas 3 times in my SS Camaro...

I do fill up each time i go to the pump, and i run it as dry as possible each time as well.
Some people just deserve to walk.

I have ran out of gas one time in my life, back when I was 16.
Learned my lesson after one time.

It costs the same to run around on a full tank as it does an empty tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote