#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #15
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
That's interesting. I ran with the tires getting to 35-37psi hot on a hot day (track ambient at 109F per Cosworth) and they wore well. I was about 2s slower than my best times but so was everyone else it seemed. Had fun trying different braking zones and lines. I will try lower pressures again but I get more inside/outside wear in my experience. Trying to get 4 days/16 sessions out of the tires at COTA. Perfectly even wear this last round with -3.0 camber and 0 toe.

Talked to a good GT3RS driver and he had a full year on his R7s. Lighter car sure.

Love the GY 3rs but listening in on the R7s.

i am watching a replay of the NASCAR event at COTA this year and they are complaining that at 22 laps (I get 8-10 laps a session) that the tires are coming apart.
In full disclosure, when I removed my R7s after 18 sessions, I did feel like I was throwing away a good tire. There was definitely some life left in them. I just would not have been at the front of the A Group with them. More like B-squad.

For reference, I rank the Advance group as follows:
(*This is my personal reference and not some kind of de Facto standard.)

A+ Squad - the one or two people that are running Pro Times. Untouchable and they maybe only go out 2 or 3 sessions the entire day.

A Squad - these are the guys, maybe 5-10 who are clearly faster than everyone else in the group. Some race, others are just quick AF

B Squad - the guys who are a couple of seconds off the pace of the A squad. They just go to have fun and aren't really goal oriented. They're like the gate keepers of the A group.

C Squad - These are the guys off the pace. Either because they are in a small-ish car like a Miata, a vintage car with outdated suspension and low power, or simply new to the Advanced group and just trying to get things figured out.

D Squad - These guys don't last long. We usually go to the organizer to mark them to be bumped back down to Intermediate. These guys are the ones who cause "Trains", or their car always has a mechanical issue at every event. Guys that end up with two wheels in the dirt often, or have very low awareness and they miss point byes. You can see an example of poor awareness in my last NJMP Lightning video on my YouTube channel. I was approaching the bridge and coming up so fast on a Lotus he completely missed the opportunity for a wave by and I had to throw the car inside of him heading into turn 5.

So back to my original point, had I stayed with the R7, I would have tooling around with the B-Squad or "Gate Keepers".
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:57 AM   #16
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
In full disclosure, when I removed my R7s after 18 sessions, I did feel like I was throwing away a good tire. There was definitely some life left in them. I just would not have been at the front of the A Group with them. More like B-squad.

A+ Squad - the one or two people that are running Pro Times. Untouchable and they maybe only go out 2 or 3 sessions the entire day.

A Squad - these are the guys, maybe 5-10 who are clearly faster than everyone else in the group. Some race, others are just quick AF

B Squad - the guys who are a couple of seconds off the pace of the A squad. They just go to have fun and aren't really goal oriented. They're like the gate keepers of the A group.

C Squad - These are the guys off the pace. Either because they are in a small-ish car like a Miata, a vintage car with outdated suspension and low power, or simply new to the Advanced group and just trying to get things figured out.

D Squad - These guys don't last long. We usually go to the organizer to mark them to be bumped back down to Intermediate. These guys are the ones who cause "Trains", or their car always has a mechanical issue at every event. Guys that end up with two wheels in the dirt often, or have very low awareness and they miss point byes. You can see an example of poor awareness in my last NJMP Lightning video on my YouTube channel. I was approaching the bridge and coming up so fast on a Lotus he completely missed the opportunity for a wave by and I had to throw the car inside of him heading into turn 5.

So back to my original point, had I stayed with the R7, I would have tooling around with the B-Squad or "Gate Keepers".
that is an excellent advanced group assessment....100%!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #17
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post

LOL I don't know if I were in the B squad 2s off my new tire pace on average. My optimal lap per Garmin was still good (2:25.80) within two sessions that day at COTA. Yes the guys with fresh tires are faster. If I can outpace 991.2 GT3RS's on worn SC3Rs I am happy, it's just harder to do.