Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
6-piston Brembo - Mustang vs Camaro

So, several months ago, as I was deciding what new car to get, I was researching Mustangs. I want all the go-fast goodies on a car, so naturally I wanted the best brakes I can get.

Here's the package that the 2017 Mustang GT gets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Performance Package - $2,995
• 19" X 9" (F) 19” X 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Turn" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Spoiler Delete
• Strut-tower Brace
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio
Compared to the Camaro package:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance Brake Upgrade Kit - Brembo® 6-Piston Front - $3,175
- 6-piston Brembo® Red brake calipers
- Slotted rotors and pad upgrade
So, for $80 LESS, the Mustang gets better wheels/tires ($200 additional option on Camaro), new instrument panel, front springs, bracing, radiator, swaybar, and Torsen diff (already on Camaro).

Why does the Camaro package cost so much more, and include so much less?
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
you gotta ask chevy that question.
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
6 piston brakes on Camaro are dealer installed.. So, you're getting two sets of front brakes.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
So, several months ago, as I was deciding what new car to get, I was researching Mustangs. I want all the go-fast goodies on a car, so naturally I wanted the best brakes I can get.

Here's the package that the 2017 Mustang GT gets:

Compared to the Camaro package:

So, for $80 LESS, the Mustang gets better wheels/tires ($200 additional option on Camaro), new instrument panel, front springs, bracing, radiator, swaybar, and Torsen diff (already on Camaro).

Why does the Camaro package cost so much more, and include so much less?

Probably because the SS without the 6 piston brake upgrade still out performs the GTPP.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Check out the 1LE package, it's $6500 but you get a ton of very expensive options in it!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I'm confused, does the Mustang GT not come with any wheels if you don't get the track pack???

You are posting like the wheel/tire package is way better than the Camaro. The Camaro SS comes with 20" alum wheels, just as nice as the Mustang GT wheels. They also can come with summer only tires, once again just as nice as the Mustang GT.

Camaro SS already has a limited slip diff and most of those other features. So it seems like the Mustang GT is just adding stuff to catch it up to the Camaro SS which with the base Brembo brakes already handles better than the Mustang GT.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
6 piston brakes on Camaro are dealer installed.. So, you're getting two sets of front brakes.
Interesting. My dealership told me that the needed my 4-piston ones back for a core. You're saying that I should get them, instead?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Interesting. My dealership told me that the needed my 4-piston ones back for a core. You're saying that I should get them, instead?
I believe so.. It could be that I don't remember correctly and am wrong though. Probably have to ask someone who has the 6 piston brake kit..

I read a few threads just now and seems like you can pick it up for cheaper from Chevy Parts at times.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
00 Trans Ram

Yeah, a lot of the stuff in the Mustang package already comes with the SS, and is included in the SS initial price. But, those things still cost money. Theirs is in a package an owner pays for, and the SS is in the car the owner pays for. Either way, you're still paying for them.

However, I was just doing some research and may have figured out a large part of the difference. They aren't the same brakes. The calipers might be the same design, but the rotors on the Mustang are regular iron discs, while the SS gets 2-piece rotors. From experience, I know that these rotors are much more expensive (as in, $1500 vs ~$300 for iron ones).
Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
I think 1SS vs GTPP, the Camaro still has better stopping power (4pot vs 6 pot)
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #11
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The base model poverty spec SS is still a better performance car than a loaded GT, lol
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
BINGO.

Also...consider that most of that other stuff in the Ford package.....is already standard on the Camaro.

The performance package makes the GT what it SHOULD be from the factory...and yet it still isn't enough to go toe-to-toe around a track with the stock SS Camaro. You don't NEED the six-pots on the SS to go around a track and put up faster times than the Mustang. But people want them, so they sell them.

By the way........does Ford's performance package add the necessary coolers to use any of that equipment, or is that an additional option, as well?

Bottom line is...Ford is really good at spinning the data to make things sound and appear more appealing than they really are. Do some research before you chase the carrot.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
What your dealer told you is not true. On any LPO option, the owner should get the replaced part as well. That is why some Camaro wheel options are $200 and some are $2000. The $2000 wheels are LPO which means you get the original wheels as well as the option wheels (but only one set of tires).

So, if you order the 6 piston brakes, you should get the old 4-piston brakes and rotors with the car.

BUT, before you go ordering the 6 pistons on the Camaro, keep in mind the Camaro has been stopping in a shorter distance than the Mustang with the PP. In Car and Driver's test, the Camaro stopped from 70-0 in 147 feet and the mustang 157 feet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4

Also, the Camaro comes with brake cooling ducts standard (and some extra parts to add more brake cooling for track days), so the 6 pistons may be overkill if you are just doing HPDE's. If you are racing where times matter, the 6 pistons will give you a better lap time. But the standard 4 pistons will stand up to track days without fade (so far that seems to be the case, as we haven't seen any fade issues with folks the put the track cooling ducts on for track days).

But no matter what brake option you choose on the Camaro, you will still stop in a shorter distance with the Camaro.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
the mustang also only gives you 6 pistons in the front and stock rear brakes. In the camaro, whether it's this package or the 1le package, you get 6 piston brembos and 4 piston BREMBOS in the REAR. I think mustang tries to hide it by saying 4 piston rear brakes, but they aren't upgraded brembo's, they are just factory. And why do you say that the mustangs gives you upgrades wheels and tires...the standard camaro ss should have the same specs as those upgraded performance package wheels
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote