Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
angelbones

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS w/Ceramic Int, NPP
Automatic SS for enthusiast

n 30 years of car ownership, I've been about 50/50 of manual vs automatic vehicles. I certainly understand there are those that must have an automatic due to traffic concerns, or the "only thing available" problem, or horridly, never learned to drive a stick, but my question goes to whether or not those that had the choice then chose an automatic. A couple of personal examples for reference, I had a Mazda Shinka RX-8 with a stick and loved it. Can't see getting an automatic. I've also owned a BMW 2-series and I've found its 8-speed automatic to be a blast. Of course, one advantage to an auto in the last decade or so is that it usually gives better performance and better gas mileage.

So, knowing the pros and cons of both, who got an automatic and feels that the automatic is ALSO an enthusiast's car? Yes, I may be asking for affirmation, but I would be happy to hear from those that have driven both and can make a valid argument for avoiding the automatic.
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
I've had both. When I was younger, I had all sticks. Older now and knees don't work like they used to. My last three Camaros have all been automatics.
My current Camaro is the L99, and with the Tap Shift, If you hit it right at 6k going into 2nd, she will spin the tires. Not much, but you can feel it.
For me, IMO, with the technology that is out there in todays automatics, it's just as good.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSSRS View Post
I've had both. When I was younger, I had all sticks. Older now and knees don't work like they used to. My last three Camaros have all been automatics.
My current Camaro is the L99, and with the Tap Shift, If you hit it right at 6k going into 2nd, she will spin the tires. Not much, but you can feel it.
For me, IMO, with the technology that is out there in todays automatics, it's just as good.
Feel the same way. My back and legs can't take it now but when they did I loved my manual Camaros.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
H(.)(.)ters

Drives: 2SS - Black
At the highest levels of motorsports (F1, motoGP, etc.), what many would consider the pinnacle of skill and enthusiasm, the drivers/riders are using automatic or some form of clutchless shifting. Why? Because the technology is available to take advantage of. It's like that episode of Seinfeld where he made fun of the Chinese who continue to use chopsticks when they know the better fork utensil already exists for their benefit.

People hang on to their old school notions of stick shifts and romanticize how it makes them feel connected and secret-handshakey skillful and manly, and blah, blah, blah. Back in the day, these same purists would probably forgo the blasphemous automobile contraption altogether and stick with the tried-and-true horse and buggy while waxing poetic about how having a live animal made them feel more connected to the mode of transport. Ya can't whistle and have that car come trotting over to ya, can ya? Huh?

Times change. Technology changes. People need to change with the times or get left behind. Otherwise, we'd all be walking around with our bare feet instead of driving fine automobiles.
H(.)(.)ters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by H(.)(.)ters View Post
At the highest levels of motorsports (F1, motoGP, etc.), what many would consider the pinnacle of skill and enthusiasm, the drivers/riders are using automatic or some form of clutchless shifting. Why? Because the technology is available to take advantage of. It's like that episode of Seinfeld where he made fun of the Chinese who continue to use chopsticks when they know the better fork utensil already exists for their benefit.

People hang on to their old school notions of stick shifts and romanticize how it makes them feel connected and secret-handshakey skillful and manly, and blah, blah, blah. Back in the day, these same purists would probably forgo the blasphemous automobile contraption altogether and stick with the tried-and-true horse and buggy while waxing poetic about how having a live animal made them feel more connected to the mode of transport. Ya can't whistle and have that car come trotting over to ya, can ya? Huh?

Times change. Technology changes. People need to change with the times or get left behind. Otherwise, we'd all be walking around with our bare feet instead of driving fine automobiles.
That is an ignorant and really flippant statement. You really have no idea what you're talking about. You must be some 18 year old punk who lives in their parents basement. I should report this post to the moderators and have your account suspended just for sheer stupidity or lack of a brain.

I dare you to say the same f'ing thing to Carl Edwards or Kyle Busch.... They will leave your "highest levels of motor sports" in a pile of wreckage with their "Flintstone" era 4 speed manuals.

Please.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H(.)(.)ters View Post

Sorry dude but when I drive an automatic I simply arrive at my destination some time later having spaced out for most of the drive. Yeah, that includes dual clutches. Driving on the road aint a race track and saying autos are better because they're easier is like saying its better to masturbate because its easier. Yeah, you still get there and it's faster and easier but better? Not for me.

Nor does anyone I know my age consider driving a stick manly. Hell my mom can drive a stick. It's only kids who think there is some kind of accomplishment involved in it.

Also not everyone who drives a stick thinks there is no place for an auto. Lots of people own both and use each to their advantage. I do.

Speaking of horses its fricken fun to ride a horse. I mean seriously dude, doing stuff can be fun. You should try it some time.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
n 30 years of car ownership, I've been about 50/50 of manual vs automatic vehicles. I certainly understand there are those that must have an automatic due to traffic concerns, or the "only thing available" problem, or horridly, never learned to drive a stick, but my question goes to whether or not those that had the choice then chose an automatic. A couple of personal examples for reference, I had a Mazda Shinka RX-8 with a stick and loved it. Can't see getting an automatic. I've also owned a BMW 2-series and I've found its 8-speed automatic to be a blast. Of course, one advantage to an auto in the last decade or so is that it usually gives better performance and better gas mileage.

So, knowing the pros and cons of both, who got an automatic and feels that the automatic is ALSO an enthusiast's car? Yes, I may be asking for affirmation, but I would be happy to hear from those that have driven both and can make a valid argument for avoiding the automatic.

The new 8 speed auto with its quicker shifts is much better than the sluggish a6 it replaces. However, the new M6 with its active rev matching is pretty slick tech as well. I think it is a matter of your driving conditions. If you sit in traffic a lot then the auto will make life easier while still being fun. However, if you don't get stuck in a daily commute or you look forward to driving it on the weekends then the manual provides that extra level of engagement that most enthusiasts prefer.

They are both great but I still think most hard core enthusiasts will pick a manual if given a choice.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Don't care if the new autos shift faster or get 2% better gas mileage. They simply don't drive the same. A manual will ALWAYS be more fun because it's more engaging. If you can no longer drive a manual because you're in poor health, I'm sorry (and I understand because I'm 61) but that doesn't make your auto as fun to drive.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Love my A8! Not a single regret.

Jared Royce
801-525-4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Automatics are faster on a drag strip, but not on a race track. Autos do no usually get better mileage.

So drive both an make your choice. The manuals in the Camaros are good ones. If you need to get an auto for physical resons then there is no choice,

But to me there is no contest, the manual transmission definitely makes the Camaro more fun to drive. I am not knocking the autos, if you have owned both then you should know better than any of us which you prefer.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #11
angelbones

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS w/Ceramic Int, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The new 8 speed auto with its quicker shifts is much better than the sluggish a6 it replaces. However, the new M6 with its active rev matching is pretty slick tech as well. I think it is a matter of your driving conditions. If you sit in traffic a lot then the auto will make life easier while still being fun. However, if you don't get stuck in a daily commute or you look forward to driving it on the weekends then the manual provides that extra level of engagement that most enthusiasts prefer.

They are both great but I still think most hard core enthusiasts will pick a manual if given a choice.
Good analysis Raptor. The old GM 6-speed auto was very meh. Having test driven the latest automatic I was impressed. You brought up an excellent point though. You said "hard core" enthusiast. I'm no track guy, but I love knowing I have the power available when I need it. In other words, I can't truly say I'm hard core. I'm appreciating the comments so far (and welcome more), and it seems that at a minimum, I wouldn't be unhappy with either one. I guess when looking or ordering I shouldn't rule out either transmission out of hand.
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #12
bigdonut

Drives: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Automatics are faster on a drag strip, but not on a race track. Autos do no usually get better mileage.

So drive both an make your choice. The manuals in the Camaros are good ones. If you need to get an auto for physical resons then there is no choice,

But to me there is no contest, the manual transmission definitely makes the Camaro more fun to drive. I am not knocking the autos, if you have owned both then you should know better than any of us which you prefer.
Um, autos do usually get better gas mileage nowadays...
bigdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
I guess when looking or ordering I shouldn't rule out either transmission out of hand.
You shouldn't. ... Buy what works for you and meets your driving needs for Practicality, Fun, utility etc.

Last edited by Modshack; 04-30-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #14
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Love my A8! Not a single regret.

Jared Royce
801-525-4215
I have an A8 Scat Pack Challenger and love the A8, i'm going to be buying a new Camaro SS soon and the only appeal to me of a 6 speed vs the A8 is that the 6 speed will last longer and will be less expensive to repair in the event of a failure. I can only shudder to think what rebuilding an A8 will cost when the time comes.

2016 Scat Pack Challenger (gone 1-6-2018)
2013 Mustang GT Auto(sold)
2013 Track pack Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2011 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2010 Camaro SS 6M ( sold)13.36 @109
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote