Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
SSHULK

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS NPP
Light rattle when shifting from 1st to 2nd

Just wondering if this is normal? I have a 2016 m6 and sometimes when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear or even to 3rd, at low speeds I hear a light rattle metal sound after releasing the clutch. Anybody else experienced this noise? Or am I doing something wrong? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ps car has only 400miles
SSHULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
M4dne55

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSHULK View Post
Just wondering if this is normal? I have a 2016 m6 and sometimes when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear or even to 3rd, at low speeds I hear a light rattle metal sound after releasing the clutch. Anybody else experienced this noise? Or am I doing something wrong? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ps car has only 400miles
you're not alone, I've had this issue since the day I got it. I've been meaning to take it back to the dealer to get it checked again but haven't had the time. I know exactly what you are talking about, happens at low rpm's most of the time, going from 1st into 2nd and a softer rattle going into 3rd.

The day I test drove it I was told it's nothing...just needs to warmed up. I told them to have it inspected before I pick it up and they said they did and service found nothing wrong with it. I've got 3000 miles on it now, it hasn't gotten worse or better. I'll let you know once I do have it inspected again.

M4dne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
SSHULK

Good to know its not just me, the same as you described. This is my first manual so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Please let me know what the dealer says after the inspection, thanks for the input.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
KyleL

Drives: Slow
If it's when the clutch is disengaged, it may just be clutch/driveline chatter. My 350z was terrible about that at a stop when I switched to a 6 puck clutch/lightweight flywheel, never heard it while driving though. Do you hear it in neutral with the clutch disengaged?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
I have the same issue.. Not really sure if it's an issue or not.. But it happens when I m in first gear.. Low rpms.. I press in the clutch to move into second... N that's when it feels like something is wrong... I dismissed it as something to do with flywheel... Not sure but if it is a genuine issue
Old 04-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
SSHULK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
If it's when the clutch is disengaged, it may just be clutch/driveline chatter. My 350z was terrible about that at a stop when I switched to a 6 puck clutch/lightweight flywheel, never heard it while driving though. Do you hear it in neutral with the clutch disengaged?
If I remember correctly it happens after releasing the clutch from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd at low speeds. I do not hear it in neutral.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
SSHULK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
I have the same issue.. Not really sure if it's an issue or not.. But it happens when I m in first gear.. Low rpms.. I press in the clutch to move into second... N that's when it feels like something is wrong... I dismissed it as something to do with flywheel... Not sure but if it is a genuine issue
Yea same here, not sure if it's an issue or not but definitely sounds funky. I figured I'd post to get some feedback from you guys since I'm a manual "newb".
Old 04-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSHULK View Post
If I remember correctly it happens after releasing the clutch from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd at low speeds. I do not hear it in neutral.
are the rpms roughly the same when you make those gear changes? I test drove a 2011 challenger a couple years ago with a full exhaust and when you let the clutch out in 1st, the whole dash made a rather metallic sounding rattle. Might just be the harmonics of the motor at that rpm like it was with that car.

I had the tr6060 in my ls3 c6, it never had any sort of issue with the trans, it's a stout unit.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:10 AM   #9
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
I hear it too. I believe it is driveline chatter and nothing to worry about. I hear it also when backing up a slight hill into my garage at home while having to do the very slow reverse-clutch in/out dance. When I back in with my drivers window down I can hear it amplified off the wall next to me.
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
SSHULK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
are the rpms roughly the same when you make those gear changes? I test drove a 2011 challenger a couple years ago with a full exhaust and when you let the clutch out in 1st, the whole dash made a rather metallic sounding rattle. Might just be the harmonics of the motor at that rpm like it was with that car.

I had the tr6060 in my ls3 c6, it never had any sort of issue with the trans, it's a stout unit.
I just noticed the shifter shakes a little in sync with the noise.

Last edited by SSHULK; 04-13-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
SSHULK

Ok on my way to work I tested it more and it usually shifting from 1st to 2nd I feel the shifter in sync with the metal noise, also happens with the skip shift bs from 1st to 4th. I also noticed when releasing the clutch extra slow from 1st to 2nd it is less noticeable.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Thats funny I was about to create a thread soon myself but I guess it's normal?
When I'm in first at low speeds and press in the clutch I here chatter noise. Heard it since I bought it with 3 miles. Got 900 now.
Quiksilver16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Is it the same with rev match on and off?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Hey.
I will add myself to the "Me Too" List.

I am not concerned. It is audible in low rpm shifts or slow shifts.
If the RPM is higher amd quicker shift I do not notice it.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote