Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #57
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I've read comments here that there is no way to manually get the A8 into competition mode. Is this true?

I thought I read that holding the down paddle and getting on it triggers
Just press the button twice for competition mode and you can quickly rev your motor to get to performance shifting which i use when roll racing.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #58
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Just press the button twice for competition mode and you can quickly rev your motor to get to performance shifting which i use when roll racing.
Do you just put it in neutral and rev it or do you actually have to get on it while driving? Ideally, they would have just enabled this setting when you turn on Competitive mode. I also wonder if you can tune this transmission parameter yet? There are obviously parameters that trigger this performance shifting mode that you could tweak to engage earlier or trigger it with a driving mode, etc.

Gotta post in the tuning section to see if HP Tuners can pull these transmission parameters yet.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #59
Mikey LikesIt

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
Automatics are used because they are faster.
Driving an auto for me detaches u from the car and for me is the opposite of what a enthusiast wants.
I literally will never purchase an automatic as long as I'm able to drive stick. If I medically had to drive a auto I'd get a lame daily driver.
Cool that you prefer a manual, but the last sentence in this post is pretty lame.
Mikey LikesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #60
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey LikesIt View Post
Cool that you prefer a manual, but the last sentence in this post is pretty lame.
Lame?
It is true and something I have experienced.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #61
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have owned manuals pretty much since I bought my first car (for my personal daily driver, we have other automatics in the house that my gf drives). Only time I strayed was with my MKIV GTI which was DSG. It's the latest and the greatest they said, it's dual clutch and faster than a manual they said, it's basically a manual without a clutch they said, all the cool kids are doing it they said. Great car, sold it after just a year because I could not stand driving an automatic anymore.

It's like people who like to cook. I know some people who will spend probably twice as much and take twice as long to cook a meal than if they just ate the same thing at a restaurant, but for them it's not about just eating the food but the process of making it.

Automatics are now faster and from a performance standpoint better in probably every way over manuals. However I still prefer to shift my own gears and will continue to do so until they get rid of them altogether, which will probably happen eventually especially once the EV take over.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #62
Camaro Mark III

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS, 8Speed
Great transmission!! Really busy for shifting gears and 'modes' like crazy! It's a really really fun car!! Btw, I think gears don't shift automatically in the manual mode of A8 unless I shift them (Perhaps not as I had not stayed more than 2 seconds until I shifted the gear). So, I feel it's different from what I have known as sport mode of automatic transmission. I broke in my car a few days ago and now I have 1800+ miles. I could have pretty much fun two days ago with the paddle shifts. AWESOME!
Camaro Mark III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #63
dorifto65

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Black
My 6th Gen is a manual because I get a huge thrill banging through the gears. I enjoy rev matching without any assistance. I like to grab my car by the throat an demand that it does my will. If I want to clutch kick into wheel spin for a drift or do a 4000 RPM clutch drop into a smoky burn out my car has no choice but to comply. I can decide when gear changes and choose how the clutch engages.

Automatics may be marginally faster on the dragstrip and autocross but I've smoked cars with automatics and I've been beat by guys/gals driving automatics. The driver is the biggest variable in any race.

Let's get real, automatics are for drivers seeking convenience on the street, and there's nothing wrong with that.
dorifto65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #64
Camaro Mark III

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS, 8Speed
This time for this Camaro, I think A8 is something special. What a suprise!!
Camaro Mark III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #65
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. Your tunnel video was one of the factors that made me want to give the A8 a try

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #66
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Stabilitrac/traction control button down by the driver mode selector.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #68
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Stabilitrac/traction control button down by the driver mode selector.
Hmm. Thanks for pointing that out!

Turns out it is on pg 224 of the Owner's Manual, if anyone wants to read about it.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #69
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
I had some legitimate concerns regarding getting a manual. I drive in stop-n-go traffic every day. My wife can't drive one. Etc.

My decision was made up on my first test drives. I had researched the cars, and was really excited about making a purchase. I took an auto out first. The car was great. Acceleration, braking, curves, sound, feel, etc. It was fabulous. But, when I got out, I thought, "Man, if I didn't need a car right now, I'm not sure I'd want to spend $50k on this."

Then I drove a manual. Pretty much same car. It felt the same accel, braking, etc. But, when I got out of it, I thought, "I'd pay $20k more for this car than that auto!" My hair was standing up, I had goose bumps, and a grin the size of Texas.

So, for me, it's all about that gut feeling.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #70
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Stick is much more fun, in my opinion. Only sticks on my cars back to 1977. And I live in Manhattan since 1981.
NYStockboy is offline   Reply With Quote