Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
Got to drive a Cadillac ATS-V 6M

So today I had to sign paperwork to take advantage of my private offer. While waiting they let my wife and I drive a nice (black) 16' ATS-V manual on their lot. I've driven a couple of the auto SS Camaro's but not one of the manuals yet, and that's what I ordered, so I used that as my excuse as to why I wanted to drive it. I will say that the engage-disengage point of the clutch is very narrow, but felt good. The drivers seat felt a lot more cramped than the gen6 camaros that I have driven. The car had a sunroof and even with the seat all the way down, my head still barely touched the ceiling of the car. The car was quick, but I remember the Camaro being faster. I didn't care for the turbo lag, in my opinion it was noticeable. It did hug turns awesomely! We also didn't care for the audio/climate control buttons. The car's MSRP was right above $72k. Overall it was still a very nice car, not what I'd want being 6'3/ 280lbs.

My car is now at a rail yard waiting to be shipped, hopefully it won't be long.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
This is my opinion and I don't expect that it's in any way universal but here it is... Not only is the Camaro a screamin deal, it's just plain good in its own right without even considering it's value.

I'm coming from a German car that's several times the cost of this car and was in the dealer to test drive a C7. I passed on them when they came out because I hate the black thing at the bottom of the rear end but they're such good cars that I thought I would try one again. Maybe order black even though it drives me batty trying to keep it clean. I drove the Camaro as an afterthought before I left more out of due diligence than any other reason. The truth was a little hard for me to wrap my head around and it took me a little bit to admit it. That truth being I don't think its any less fun to drive and it has advantages depending on your point of view and needs. I found myself wanting it over the Vette. That isn't a shot at them, I've owned a couple and I love them. Great cars.

They knocked it out of the park with the Camaro, it isn't perfect but it gets the things that matter right. You can spend a lot more and not get any more enjoyment behind the wheel.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
YellowFin

Drives: 2016 Colorado Z71
Agreed! It's nice not to fall back on bang for the buck. It's an awesome car regardless of the price. No car is perfect, but Who would have thought a Camaro could hold its own against the standard setters like BMW?
2010 Camaro SS

Current:
2016 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Z71 in black
2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS in red
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Rosco

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
I'd have bought the ATS-V sedan instead of my 2016 SS if it had the LT1 or LT4.
+1

Test drove both back to back, camaro was noticeably better IMO.
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Poje

Drives: Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
I'd have bought the ATS-V sedan instead of my 2016 SS if it had the LT1 or LT4.
Even if both cars are closely related, they are not in the same class and can't be compared.

People that buy Cadillac are the same peeps who buy Lexus, BMW and such. The Brand name is important to them and they are willing to pay more for it.

On the other hand, peeps like me, who dont care at all about the Brand name, but "what do i get for my money", would always go for a Camaro over an ATS, since its simple better value.

2 of my friends have ATSs, one has an AWD 2.0T with 400hp and the other one a stock 3.6 RWD. Both are very good cars, but i dont know if both of them would have bought one if the Camaro6 existed when they did.
Poje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
HyperM3

Drives: 2017 Audi A4
Funny you mention this because on my first go round, the ATS-V was my direct cross shop with the Camaro. I went right from test driving the camaro to the caddy dealership on the same lot.

I really liked the seats and trunk of the ATS-V. I absolutely loved the blue coupe with the carbon package that I looked at. I think overall the car is better looking than the camaro. No haters here, I still think the camaro looks badass.

Unfortunately I couldnt get past the CUE entertainment system. I knew all the reviews said it was bad(like the view out of the camaro) but I went in unbiased. I really tried to go through the menus and use it like I would on a daily basis. It was horrible. I realized I truly do like buttons and knobs. The other kicker was the dashboard was unexciting. It looked like it could have been out of a cadillac cimarron(if you remember that).

Lastly, the lease on the ATS-V was abysmal. Even without negotiations it was a grand a month. Knowing the camaro was half that sealed the deal.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Poje

Drives: Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Lastly, the lease on the ATS-V was abysmal. Even without negotiations it was a grand a month. Knowing the camaro was half that sealed the deal.
Yep, you're exactly like me : The price and what you get for it is the deciding factor.
Poje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by My87z28 View Post
So today I had to sign paperwork to take advantage of my private offer. While waiting they let my wife and I drive a nice (black) 16' ATS-V manual on their lot. I've driven a couple of the auto SS Camaro's but not one of the manuals yet, and that's what I ordered, so I used that as my excuse as to why I wanted to drive it. I will say that the engage-disengage point of the clutch is very narrow, but felt good. The drivers seat felt a lot more cramped than the gen6 camaros that I have driven. The car had a sunroof and even with the seat all the way down, my head still barely touched the ceiling of the car. The car was quick, but I remember the Camaro being faster. I didn't care for the turbo lag, in my opinion it was noticeable. It did hug turns awesomely! We also didn't care for the audio/climate control buttons. The car's MSRP was right above $72k. Overall it was still a very nice car, not what I'd want being 6'3/ 280lbs.

My car is now at a rail yard waiting to be shipped, hopefully it won't be long.
I honestly have no idea how you fit in the car lol. I remember sitting in a ATS at the auto show a year or two ago, and I thought it was one of the most cramped cars I have ever sat in. Yes I didn't play with the seat fully but I still felt very cramped inside and I am only 5'10" and 240
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
angelbones

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS w/Ceramic Int, NPP
Was considering the Caddy at one point for my next car, but until they demolish the CUE system, I won't get one. This is based on personal experience, not just the bad reviews of the system.
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Was considering the Caddy at one point for my next car, but until they demolish the CUE system, I won't get one. This is based on personal experience, not just the bad reviews of the system.
I dunno why all the hate towards CUE. My gfs XTS has the OLD CUE and it's perfectly fine. The loaners we had gotten had the newer faster CUE which is even... finer lol.

Rarely do we even touch the buttonless buttons. Most of it we do through steering wheel controls (which COULD be improved) or on the actual screen itself. Same with the Camaro I almost never touch the screen or any of those buttons.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
angelbones

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS w/Ceramic Int, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I dunno why all the hate towards CUE. My gfs XTS has the OLD CUE and it's perfectly fine. The loaners we had gotten had the newer faster CUE which is even... finer lol.

Rarely do we even touch the buttonless buttons. Most of it we do through steering wheel controls (which COULD be improved) or on the actual screen itself. Same with the Camaro I almost never touch the screen or any of those buttons.
Had a Cadillac before and whenever I got a loaner, I kept a very open mind about CUE. Despite its lag (which I understand has been greatly improved), I really miss buttons. It's borderline a hazard where I have to look down to adjust whatever it is I need to do adjust instead of "feeling" my way with the buttons and/or knobs.
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:47 AM   #12
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Had a Cadillac before and whenever I got a loaner, I kept a very open mind about CUE. Despite its lag (which I understand has been greatly improved), I really miss buttons. It's borderline a hazard where I have to look down to adjust whatever it is I need to do adjust instead of "feeling" my way with the buttons and/or knobs.
I heard a rumor they were modifying the system to a flick design, it's supposed to now be called FK CUE
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps

Quote:
I guess my point is I never really have to touch the "buttons". My AC is set to auto and I use steering wheel controls for audio. Only time I touch the console is to turn on the cooled seats.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote