Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #43
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
OMG Big mistake. 4 Cylinder? Big Mistake!
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Might as well make it front wheel drive while they are at it.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
The 2.0 turbo in the ats produces 272bhp in a 3400-3450 pound car.
Yup and it actually comes in at just under 3300 pounds for a base 2.0T. I have one right now with a ship weight of 3307 but it has some added options.

As someone that has driven and ATS with the 2.0T with a manual and automatic, I'm ok with them at least offering this engine on the 6th gen. There will certainly be a V8 option so everyone needs to just relaxe. The 2.0T is a very capable engine when it's in a car that's not too heavy. The big question is whether they can keep the weight down on the next Camaro.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
This really worries me. The problem with the current V6 is weight, not power. 300 HP is great for the money. If the V6 lost about 300 pounds it would be a 13 second car out of the box without any power increase.

The ATS platform was a great sign that the V6 car would get that desired 300 pound diet. The ATS is what? 3400 pounds? And it is a Caddy so it is possible a V6 Camaro on the ATS platform could be as low as 3300 pounds.

A 400 pound diet definitely gets our V6 into 13s with no other mods!

BUT a turbo 4 cylinder, stock at least, is not going to be pushing out 300 hP. What will it make? 250-270?

We will get our diet, but also lose power. Making the 6th gen Ls/lt cars just as fast as the current 6.

And sure you can up the boost but how much boost do you think the engine will take?

And a boosted 3300 pound V6 LLT will be much faster than a boosted 3300 pound 4 banger.

All I'm saying is, I hope they keep the LLT in the line up AND offer this engine! If all we can get is the 4 cylinder, it will be a disappointment!
Darkness, you may be partially correct, but I think we should hold out faith for sure. For one, I believe that if they erase the V6 option, then they turbo 4 will have at least 300+ HP and probably that much torque, making the 6th gen base option just as quick as the current base car if not a tad quicker because of the weight difference and low end torque of the turbo. But more of my opinion on this below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
GM better not ruin the next model Camaro... IMO it shouldn't even have a V6 lol

So a I4 would be absolutely horrible.
Your comments here thus far have made no sense. Have you not seen what can be done with the GM 2.0 engines? Can't wait to see your face when tuned and lightly modded 6th gens with the turbo 4 are running with or beating a 5th gen SS. You've got elitist SS owner written all over you lol.

Look guys...we need look no further than the absolutely wonderful performing ATS to see what kind of possibilities we may have with the next gen Camaro on the Alpha platform. The base ATS weighs in the low to mid 3,300 range. A loaded ATS with the V6 is in the 3,400 lb range. I fully expect the base 6th gen Camaro to start in the same 3,300 lb range, V6 in the 3,400 lb range and finally the V8 variant in the 3,500 range. The weight savings alone would completely change the performance of these cars. Current V6 weighs 3,750 lbs. The V8 weighs somewhere around 100 - 150 lbs more than that, with all its suspension, brake, and drivetrain upgrades.

So if we take the current ATS V6...add another 100 -150 lbs and you guys are looking at an SS (if its even called that) in the 3,550 to 3,600 lb range. Amazing performance potential.

I really hope they offer the LFX as well as the 2.0 in this car...at least for the first year or two. Thats what I'd want. I feel so familiar and happy with the V6 now after modding mine, that I think doing a bolt on/tune LFX in the 350 - 370 HP range would be absolutely awesome. The one thing I hate about my car is the weight. In a lighter car with similar gearing, the V6 would absolutely rip.

I think the performance of the next gen Camaro is going to be the best ever. Now we just have to hope that GM can once again nail the styling
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #47
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
The new four banger turbo is a great motor for the Camaro, the people flaming Chevy for it are just trying to be "cool". 272hp from a turbo will monster the current V6 with weight being the same. The torque curve of the turbo will be a huge upgrade, and who doesn't like saving at the pump? All the power with less fuel, yeah so stupid. Some of those turbo 4 cylinder cars out there will give the current SS a run for its money, cue STi and Evo. This won't be on that level, but it won't be slow. Overall, nice job Chevy. I'll keep the V8 for myself, but I would buy the turbo four over the 6cyl for sure.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
GM better not ruin the next model Camaro... IMO it shouldn't even have a V6 lol

So a I4 would be absolutely horrible.
Um...without the V6, there'd be no V8. On that note, how many cylinders does your Camaro have?? Lol.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #49
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
I think the gmpp tune on the LNF in the Solstice/Sky bumps it up to 340 ft-lb and 340 hp.....pretty impressive for a 4 banger. That would be a good base model for a lighter camaro.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #50
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Different demographic, but I wonder if GM would ever consider a turbo 4 for the vette?

I certainly could be wrong but I would think a turbo 4 would be a midgrade engine just based on manufacturing costs. A turbo 4 would cost more than a six wouldn't it?
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #51
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
The 2.0 turbo may work if they drop about 1500 lbs. off the current Camaro.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #52
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
right from the gmauthority web site...

It’s been the ongoing story around the collective automotive blogosphere that the next-generation Chevrolet Camaro will be both smaller and lighter, thanks to the vehicle’s adaptation to GM’s Alpha platform over the more rigid and heavier Zeta architecture it currently rides on. The downsizing will also reflect what’s going to happen in the engine bay, as sources have confirmed with us that a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder engine will be found in the sixth-generation Camaro, which is still a few years out from launching.
The engine choice doesn’t surprise us, as the next Camaro shapes itself to be a more global performance car and has to adhere to countries that mandate displacement, and even CAFE fuel economy regulations here in the United States. It may be a one-size-fits-all approach, but it in no way means that there will not be a 300-something horsepower V6 or next-generation small block V8 in the lineup, either. And since the next Camaro will be smaller and lighter, it should still make for a fun drive no matter how many cylinders are under its hood.
Heard this a few years ago that might head in this direction. V8 may be there but cost more then most will pay
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #53
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Just give a RWD option for the cobalt instead of a 4 cyl. option for the camaro?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Going back as far as 2008, there have been rumors of a possible turbo 4 cylinder engine for the current Camaro. Even Bob Lutz, who was then the Vice Chairman of GM, alluded to the possibility for the 5th Gen Camaro at the time.

In the years since, the possibility of a turbo 4 cylinder for the next 6th gen Camaro has not only been floated as rumors, but also accepted as a very real possibility, especially as other auto companies have piled on to the forced induction bandwagon in an effort to increase fuel efficiency in the face of ever increasing MPG requirements.

GM Authority now claims that 'sources' (unnamed) have confirmed to them plans for a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder for the 6th gen Camaro. The next Camaro is likely not due for 2-4 years, and will switch from its current Zeta platform to the smaller and lighter Alpha platform. The offering of a smaller/lighter and more efficient engine option for a smaller/lighter Camaro certainly makes sense.

High displacement fans shouldn't fret though, as the addition of a turbo 4 option doesn't mean that there will not also be V6 and V8 models, which we expect there to be.
I think the part in bold tells the story...

If true...remember...this is all rumor 3 years out....But if true, this isn't "bad news" that makes the car any less of what it will be...rather, imho...it could be fantastic news. We know the people responsible for this car, Camaro...and we know that THEY know what it's all about. Whatever they offer as a base model, be it a V6 or Turbo 4 cylinder, will absolutely live up to the exciting driving dynamic that is the hallmark of a Camaro.

<-- This guy's not worried...in fact, I'm a little bit excited...I'd be all over a 3300-3400 lb turbo 4 6th-gen Camaro to replace the Cobalt, and park alongside the ZL1.....hmmmmmm.....
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #55
2ssx2

Drives: 2013 2ss se/ 2009 cobalt ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think the part in bold tells the story...

If true...remember...this is all rumor 3 years out....But if true, this isn't "bad news" that makes the car any less of what it will be...rather, imho...it could be fantastic news. We know the people responsible for this car, Camaro...and we know that THEY know what it's all about. Whatever they offer as a base model, be it a V6 or Turbo 4 cylinder, will absolutely live up to the exciting driving dynamic that is the hallmark of a Camaro.

<-- This guy's not worried...in fact, I'm a little bit excited...I'd be all over a 3300-3400 lb turbo 4 6th-gen Camaro to replace the Cobalt, and park alongside the ZL1.....hmmmmmm.....
My turbo cobalt rips. I would leave all of the stock Camaro's on this forum in the dust. The LNF Platform is a beast and there are some serious after market for these motors. If the Camaro was on a serious diet you could easily have a 600 hp LNF motor pushing it.
2ssx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #56
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
so much oxygen on so little news..... whew...
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro