Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #29
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
We're not marriage counselors over here but man. Don't go trading your camaro for another family car just because your wife wants 2 cars and you to half of what you want. That is so wrong and she should appreciate all you do more. I agree with others, if anything goes it's the traverse for whatever she wants. She sounds a bit ungrateful but hey we don't have the full story
Old 09-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
My wife won't drive our Camaro , wouldn't drive the Vette. She's happy in her equinox and it's good at hauling our kids (dogs) thankfully she encourages my need for speed... I do not understand if your wife has an SUV what's the issue ??
Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #31
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Just my $0.02, but I understand where you are coming from (OP). I've got a 8 month old, a big dog, and we will probably want another kid in the near future. You definitely make sacrifices driving the Camaro if it is a DD and you are a family man. I'm making it work so far, but I wouldn't say it is easy. I take my son to daycare twice a week in it, and ingress/egress is comical. My wife doesn't drive a manual transmission and isn't willing to learn either. She had a couple not-at-fault MVAs a few years back and had panic attacks while driving for almost a year, so I don't really blame her.

That said, if there were an ATS based LT1 engined 4 door sedan with NPP, MRC, heated seats/wheel, HUD... I would think long and hard about trading the Camaro in. I doubt I would do it since I am investing so much for autocross, but I might consider it.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #32
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
I know you have to get your priorities straight, but trading in your 1SS is not a rational choice, IMHO.
My guess is the Traverse will have better resale value, so trading that one for a car that your wife would like better would be the smarter choice.
Good luck

Dan
nearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 AM   #33
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
We traded in our 2012 Camaro 2SS for a new 2014 SS Sedan to make room for our grandkids car seats. Now have over 50k miles on our SS Sedan and still love it as much or more than the day we bought it.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #34
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldgin2 View Post
My wife won't drive our Camaro , wouldn't drive the Vette. She's happy in her equinox and it's good at hauling our kids (dogs) thankfully she encourages my need for speed... I do not understand if your wife has an SUV what's the issue ??
Agreed. If you already have the "practical" vehicle then why do you need another practical vehicle? Our family hauler, grocery getter, Home Depot running vehicle is the minivan and my primary driver is the Camaro. We have 2 kids and a dog...

Is your wife annoyed that she doesn't get to drive the sport car?
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #35
stevstevd

Drives: MBM 2016 2LT RS
As others have said, your wife might be unhappy with her car. I would not take the advice of anyone saying you deserve 'your' car to be whatever you want it to be. Even if you can afford it. She may be driving the kids around in the SUV not by choice but as an obligation. If you reversed the roles, and you had to bring around the kids and run the errands in an ugly minivan, while your wife drove the sports car that you couldn't drive, would that be fair?

If it means anything to her, what you need is her to be very satisfied with what she drives. If having kids / errands means she cannot have a car that she's satisfied with, then no its not fair that the 2nd vehicle is only something you can drive. If she doesn't care, then it won't matter - but it sounds like she does, so the options are:

1. Sell hers and get something she's 100% happy with. Then you can keep yours.
2. If nothing will fit the bill in #1, because she really wants a fun car as much as you then: sell yours, get something your both ok with for the 2nd car -

For #2, it might help to think of the first car as not even a vehicle. If no enjoyment comes from it, then you having what you want means there is no give and take.

Maybe she doesn't even like cars and maybe its just something to take you point a to point b. Yes there needs to be give and take. Perhaps your thing will be the camaro, and hers might be shoes, and clothes. What makes her happy? will the SS do it? what is the appropriate balance here? If so, then you don't need to do 1 or 2... She just needs something to make her as happy as the camaro makes you.
stevstevd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #36
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
If you are going to go the route of trading in your car, maybe consider a Charger Scat Pack or SRT. That's another full-size sedan that's fun to drive, and it might hold its value better than the SS sedan has so far.

I would concur with checking the car market for a mid-sized to large car that will suit your wife's needs with or without the kids.

I see a lot of people go straight to an SUV when they start having kids, and I don't get it. I have 3 siblings, and my parents never owned anything larger than a Camry.

I like riding high off the ground and generally like large vehicles, so I understand that appeal, but it sounds like your wife really doesn't like driving the SUV and sees it as a necessity due to the kids.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #37
K1SS MY SS
K1SS MY SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1SS
With all do respect... Your wife sounds nuts....

I was actually putting some thought into it before you mentioned that you had a Transverse. What does she mean sometimes she doesn't want to drive it????!!!

Keep your SS man. You deserve it. You already have one practical car and it's probably almost paid off. You don't need two. She needs to be more grateful. Reading this really made me upset. I'm sorry for my strong emotion but based on your story it sounds like she is wrong. Maybe there is more to your story?

Also it doesn't sound like she offering any solutions that both of you would be happy with. It seems she is just like "No I don't want a Camaro, I don't want to learn how to drive it, sell it" which is not fair at all.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #38
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
Wouldn't it be better for the both of you to drive what you like? Let her get what she wants within reason just like you have. Happy hard-working ass husband equals happy life as well
Keep your camaro bro.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
When people ask me why I'm not married and do not want children, all I have to do is show them this
amen brother! hence why I have a soon to be supercharged cammed 6g manual ss, a lifted badass 2016 platinum 4x4 Tundra, and a g8 gxp manual lol. Kids and a wife is a huge no no for me.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #40
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
a lifted badass 2016 platinum 4x4 Tundra
After a little while with the Camaro I'll be looking to add a new 2017 Tacoma V6 4x4 6 speed manual. Maybe 1 year through this winter with the Camaro. I don't want to have to keep changing my tires and can really use the versatility of a pickup with 4 doors. Plus Tacos are just cool trucks..... if Tundras could be had with a stick I'd be looking at them too!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #41
YellowFin

Drives: 2016 Colorado Z71
The SS is best suited to collectors. It will be a valuable car someday as so few were made. I wouldn't buy it as a daily driver myself, but it comes down to what you want.
2010 Camaro SS

Current:
2016 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Z71 in black
2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS in red
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #42
ny tdi

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 6MT Convertible
So she's fine trading in the Camaro, so long as she doesn't have to learn anything new? Sounds like she's willing to make a bad financial decision, one that would adversely affect your family, just so that she could have her cake and eat it too. How's this putting family first?

Idk, dude. Idk...
ny tdi is offline   Reply With Quote