Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
SapperMac

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS M6
High-flow cats and exhaust loudness

This question has probably been asked hundreds of times already, but here goes. I have a 2010 2SS 6M. The only mods are bolt ons at this time. I have a Spectre CAI that was on it when I bought it. I added BBK shorty headers and a Flowmaster 3" cat-back exhaust. I still have the stock mid-pipes on there. It sounds nice, but is a little quieter than I would like. I don't want it to be crazy loud, just less tame than it sounds now. How much louder will it get if I install high-flow cats?
SapperMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperMac View Post
This question has probably been asked hundreds of times already, but here goes. I have a 2010 2SS 6M. The only mods are bolt ons at this time. I have a Spectre CAI that was on it when I bought it. I added BBK shorty headers and a Flowmaster 3" cat-back exhaust. I still have the stock mid-pipes on there. It sounds nice, but is a little quieter than I would like. I don't want it to be crazy loud, just less tame than it sounds now. How much louder will it get if I install high-flow cats?
Get long tubes and scrap the cats...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Oh you mean you don't want yours to sound like mine?
Haha

Long tube headers will be louder and aggressive.
High flow cats will manage the drone nicely and keep the rasp away (you know, what you hear a lot of when we cross paths on the street), but won't do anything too drastic in terms of volume. They will just give it that nice, refined tone (the thing I have none of)

It should sound real nice either way. I recommend long tubes and high flow cats and it should sound mean but still manageable. You should have no worries trying to go through Gate 3 lol. Going through Gate 6 is tense for me... which is why I hardly ever take it to work.
Attached Images

Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
It will get louder, but as others have said save your money and get a set of long tube headers and a tune.

However, if you're dead set on keeping the stock manifolds, check out DRKS1D3's videos. He has posted plenty of videos of his '11 SS with and without shorty headers and high flow cats through a Flowmaster exhaust.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
A set of high flow cats will get you the sound you want.

I went from stock exhaust to stock exhaust with high flow cats... it sounded great.

Then the stock mufflers started rattling so I put on a Solo cat back. Louder and, once I got used to it, better.

Then I put on long tubes and, quite frankly, the sound didn't change that much. More power, to be sure, but not a big change in exhaust note.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hiflows will be a a noticeable louder when getting on the gas. When cruise with a 3” catback They will be a bit louder, a bit more base sound but not bad.
Dynoed mine, made 10 peak tq and 15 peak hp. Average accross the range was 11 hp. Your shortys made 9-10. My peak hp with both was 20. Atune added 12 more.
Enjoy!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
High-flow cats and exhaust loudness

In my own personal experience, LT headers, complete 2.5” no cats from there: for me it was definitely loud enough, which I wanted, but the tone was too high. I just recently put HF cats in and it cleaned it up a lot. Still loud but not ear piercing loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
I have a 2012 SS with shorty headers and a SW Retro cat back. The factory exhaust was too quiet for me - it did not sound like a muscle car should. I like the sound it has now. A deeper rumble and louder but not too loud either outside or driving. Admittedly I may not like really loud exhausts as much as some.

I had Solo high flow cats also for a while. They were louder but mostly I didn't like the tone. It was a raspier tone and at some RPMs it had a bit of drone I didn't like either. I didn't get the low deep rumble I was looking for. Lots of people love them though.
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
I have a 2012 SS with shorty headers and a SW Retro cat back. The factory exhaust was too quiet for me - it did not sound like a muscle car should. I like the sound it has now. A deeper rumble and louder but not too loud either outside or driving. Admittedly I may not like really loud exhausts as much as some.

I had Solo high flow cats also for a while. They were louder but mostly I didn't like the tone. It was a raspier tone and at some RPMs it had a bit of drone I didn't like either. I didn't get the low deep rumble I was looking for. Lots of people love them though.
I agree. My shortys and 3” magnaflow competition catback probably sounds close to yours. Nice deep rumble. The small cam helps a bit too
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
SapperMac

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS M6
Well, the JBA high-flow cats have been on for just over a week now, and I absolutely love the sound of this thing. I know a lot of you guys suggest long tubes, but when I installed the BBK shorties, my thought process was that still being in the Army, I don't know where I might get sent next. I wanted headers, but wanted to keep the ability to be "emissions legal". So I went with the shorty headers. Now, the high-flow cats are no good in say New York or California, but I kept the stock cats in the event I need to swap them back in to pass an emissions test. Anyway, the combination of the shorty headers, high-flow cats, and the Flowmaster 3" cat-back gave it the deep tone I was looking for while still being able to cruise through the neighborhood at zero dark thirty without upsetting the neighbors. The other pluses I have noticed are slightly better gas mileage and a bit snappier feeling when you get into the go pedal.
SapperMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #11
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Well, the JBA high-flow cats have been on for just over a week now, and I absolutely love the sound of this thing. I know a lot of you guys suggest long tubes, but when I installed the BBK shorties, my thought process was that still being in the Army, I don't know where I might get sent next. I wanted headers, but wanted to keep the ability to be "emissions legal". So I went with the shorty headers. Now, the high-flow cats are no good in say New York or California, but I kept the stock cats in the event I need to swap them back in to pass an emissions test. Anyway, the combination of the shorty headers, high-flow cats, and the Flowmaster 3" cat-back gave it the deep tone I was looking for while still being able to cruise through the neighborhood at zero dark thirty without upsetting the neighbors. The other pluses I have noticed are slightly better gas mileage and a bit snappier feeling when you get into the go pedal.

Good deal. I should've kept my cats around for that reason too. I never drive it to PT anymore out of courtesy for the neighbors.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Glad you hot what you wanted! I went shortys for same reason as you - emission inspections where I live.
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Glad you hot what you wanted! I went shortys for same reason as you - emission inspections where I live.
St. Louis will pass you with long tube headers. I'm in St. Charles County (emissions ) and I passed with mine.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would say ditch the shorties and go with long tubes. The power just isn't there with shorty headers. If you aren't after power a set of high flow cats will increase the volume. It won't be the biggest difference but it is very noticeable.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote