Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
How/When to Properly Check Engine Oil on L99?

Like the title says.... I checked the oil in my L99 yesterday with about 4100 miles or so on it a couple hours after shutting it off. It appeared to be down to about half on the hash marks on the dipstick so I added maybe a half liter to bring it back up.

I pull the dipstick tonight cold (car hasn't ran today at all) & it is about a 1/4 inch past the high mark. So my question is how do you properly check the oil in the L99 hot or cold? Do I have too much oil in there now that I should be concerned about?

The car does use a little it seems but it is still new too. I planned on getting its first oil change this week anyways figured I didn't want to go much past 7000 km or 4500ish miles.

I appreciate anyones recommendations or experience.

Cheers,

Cam
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I check mine cold and look for a reading that is between the marks, until it's at the lower mark, I don't put any in.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Gunslinger09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The oil level is fine if it is in the hash marked area in the dipstick when it has sat not running. You over filled it guy, you should have read your owners manuel.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Should be between the hash marks cold. Above the top of the hash is too much. I believe at the bottom of the hash is 1 quart low, not sure how much overfilled 1/4 inch over the hash is, but it's definitely over...4100 miles, definitely due for it's first change!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
These cars like to run on the lower end of the stick, it calls for 8qts but I usually put a bit less, some people actually only put 7qts.

Ideal level is mid hash marks when cold (that mid indent), low line of the hash mark when hot. Try not to run near the top line if possible, it not needed. Sounds to me you are now overfilled and that is worse then under filled especially with the L99 lifters. Get under there and drain some oil.

Also if you broke the car in properly and got the rings seated correctly you should have ZERO oil burn. I beat my car off the lot with 18 miles and my oil level has yet to change and I drive hard. My mpg avg is about 13.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 08-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
qcman

Guys thx for the replies. I thought I had read the owners manual about checking the oil a while back. I have not driven it at all since doing this so it wouldn't hurt anything yet. I'll see if I can drop some out somehow tomorrow night. Car won't be driven anyways or just take it & get it changed out right away?

The manual says to check it a few minutes after shutting it off actually but not to fill past the hash marks either which initially I didn't think I had doh!!!

I'm not sure I will be able to get under this car to drain some but if not I'll just get it changed right away. Gonna call the dealer in the AM

I wouldn't say it is really using oil & I don't know if I set the the rings or not. I was mostly easy on the during breakin but did dial it a few times too. But from now on I will only check the oil cold to be safe.

Cam
Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
These cars like to run on the lower end of the stick, it calls for 8qts but I usually put a bit less, some people actually only put 7qts.

Ideal level is mid hash marks when cold (that mid indent), low line of the hash mark when hot. Try not to run near the top line if possible, it not needed. Sounds to me you are now overfilled and that is worse then under filled especially with the L99 lifters. Get under there and drain some oil.

Also if you broke the car in properly and got the rings seated correctly you should have ZERO oil burn. I beat my car off the lot with 18 miles and my oil level has yet to change and I drive hard. My mpg avg is about 13.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
^^^Exactly...driven like a Camaro from the lot, (47mi), oil level never dropped at first change and since! Less than 5000mi and 12-13mpg...

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
qcman

I assume I can reach the pan plug without jacking the car to drain a little oil out? I guess in hindsight if the car didn't really need the half liter it hasn't burned any either if I need to take it back out LOL.

Cam
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
No need to drain any off.........you'll be fine. And you should check it more often.......at least once a week, bare minimum.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
No need to drain any off.........you'll be fine. And you should check it more often.......at least once a week, bare minimum.
Thx for the advice. I have been checking it weekly for the most part. First car I have ever done that with any vehicle I've owned Oh well she is due for the first oil change so I'll at least get it out & start fresh. Should have left it alone knowing I would get it changed this week anyways. Always get nervous when I see the dip down a little & there is really no need to be concerned after reading here,

Thx all.

Cam
Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Best time to check oil is first thing in the am after the car has been sitting all night.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Like the title says.... I checked the oil in my L99 yesterday with about 4100 miles or so on it a couple hours after shutting it off. It appeared to be down to about half on the hash marks on the dipstick so I added maybe a half liter to bring it back up.

I pull the dipstick tonight cold (car hasn't ran today at all) & it is about a 1/4 inch past the high mark. So my question is how do you properly check the oil in the L99 hot or cold? Do I have too much oil in there now that I should be concerned about?

The car does use a little it seems but it is still new too. I planned on getting its first oil change this week anyways figured I didn't want to go much past 7000 km or 4500ish miles.

I appreciate anyones recommendations or experience.

Cheers,

Cam
Cam,

I usually pull mine cold too but if I need to check during the day after driving it a while I will wait for at least an easy hour to allow as much oil to drain down.

When the oil is hot your oil is much more fluid so checking when it's cold guarantees all the oil is at the bottom.

When you do check I wouldn't add any oil unless your an easy quart low. That way it's much easier for you to gauge how much oil is needed. I also thing frequency is the main key here. I'd check once per month once your sure your motor consumes oil as most engines do that easy.

Don't wait for that perverbial engine tick like I did in my 08' Impala SS. For myself I learned something about my own motor after witnessing this.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
Cam,

I usually pull mine cold too but if I need to check during the day after driving it a while I will wait for at least an easy hour to allow as much oil to drain down.

When the oil is hot your oil is much more fluid so checking when it's cold guarantees all the oil is at the bottom.

When you do check I wouldn't add any oil unless your an easy quart low. That way it's much easier for you to gauge how much oil is needed. I also thing frequency is the main key here. I'd check once per month once your sure your motor consumes oil as most engines do that easy.

Don't wait for that perverbial engine tick like I did in my 08' Impala SS. For myself I learned something about my own motor after witnessing this.

Mail Clerk
Thx I'll do it that way from now on. On the plus side took it straight to the dealer & got it changed out so only drove it maybe 5 or 6 miles this way it seemed fine but I know it is correct now for sure & it is nice & clean too.

Cam
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
If you are at 4,100 miles it's time for your first oil and filter change.
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote